What Saab Owners want to see happen to SAAB.

Please leave this topic to people who own saabs, or have owned them in the past, or who have other ties to the Saab brand. We have had some discussions like this on other forums... now i think we should bring it to the GM forum board.... :CG_all: -Kaylan Marie Edited by Aerodynamic

Well to start off the topic... i think they should stop crossing over brands... and leave saab to its original "roots" i mean they are "born from jets" not subarus, or trailblazers. :chevy: Edited by Aerodynamic

Yes the subaru deal was a joke. I don t care about the platform, have it look like a Saab outside and IN ! Yes I would like them all to come from Sweden, but........ AND for sure they must have a turbo. So if they make a Saab off a Vue platform, it should have a different engine setup---ie. turbo I4, and not let Saturn,Chev etc. use that particular displacement. Introduce a 9-2, with a turbo I4, make it handle well, and look pretty much the same as a 9-3 inside, doesn t have to be awd. Bring over the 2.2 Tid(diesel) that is available in Europe on the 9-3/9-5 I own a 04 9-3 ss

Welcome aboard Kaylan Marie your pictures on your car domain site are impressive. This seems like something good to have in this forum and posted up at the top of the site. Once more, welcome aboard and I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay with us :AH-HA_wink:

Good idea Kaylan, I'd like saab to get on with the 9-2 and make it one of the fewer 100% Saab vehicle, made entirely of Saab parts and design with an engine offered exclusively for that car.... a fiew GM electronic bits are ok. Bring in a competitor for the volvo XC90..... a beefed up 9-5 with AWD... or something in that direction...

Good idea Kaylan,

I'd like saab to get on with the 9-2 and make it one of the fewer 100% Saab vehicle, made entirely of Saab parts and design with an engine offered exclusively for that car....  a fiew GM electronic bits are ok.

Bring in a competitor for the volvo XC90..... a beefed up 9-5 with AWD... or something in that direction...

[post="45688"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree.... I think saab deffinately need AWD.... however they need to develope there own system and not use subarus....

AWD would be great for us saab tuners.... i know i could REALLY use it in my AERO.... i mean FWD can burn out quite a bit and WRX's really kill me off the line.

:worthless:
-Kaylan Marie

Also they needed to not stop making parts for some of the old saabs. Like windsheild rubber for the old 99's.... alot of people still need those and they just recently stopped production. My dad could use like 3... hell our club out here could use probably 100 :(

GM should sell off the brand and then Saab would get credibility back. When GM bought them I know alot of people who owned Saab's at the time and their response was pretty much 'Oh no GM is going to ruin Saab' . There you go from the mouths of Saab owners. GM has to have their hands in everything and twist or mold a company into their own image and that is exactly what they have done. They basically said...hey you guys need an suv everybody loves suvs! And so and so forth.

GM should sell off the brand and then Saab would get credibility back. When GM bought them I know alot of people who owned Saab's at the time and their response was pretty much 'Oh no GM is going to ruin Saab' . There you go from the mouths of Saab owners. GM has to have their hands in everything and twist or mold a company into their own image and that is exactly what they have done. They basically said...hey you guys need an suv everybody loves suvs! And so and so forth.

[post="46598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well said. If i had to drive an SUV (like if i had kids) i would like to have a saab... however.... its still a trailblazer itsnt it? :o

The dash was siginificantly redone to accomadate the SAABness of it. Also many changes were done to the underbody including the suspension drop, upgraded shocks and other various changes.

I'm no Saab owner, but I do appreciate the cars. I've seen a 9-7X on the road, and I was surprised at how well they differentiated it from the other GMT360s. I didn't see a TrailBlazer in Saab's clothing. I saw a Saab SUV. The only critical comment I can make about Saab is: the 9-5 is starving for a significant update.

The dash was siginificantly redone to accomadate the SAABness of it. Also many changes were done to the underbody including the suspension drop, upgraded shocks and other various changes.

[post="46945"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah i know.... they did HUGE changes in the 9-2x as well... but still wasnt ever excepted as a saab. its a subaru no matter what you do to it... its an awesome car and i love driving them and you could get a GREAT deal on a new one... but still.... i think every saab should be designed by saab. sure borrow a part every now and then... but stop crossing brands... just to get in on the market of a certain sized vehicle at the right time.

Yeah i know.... they did HUGE changes in the 9-2x as well... but still wasnt ever excepted as a saab. its a subaru no matter what you do to it... its an awesome car and i love driving them and you could get a GREAT deal on a new one... but still.... i think every saab should be designed by saab. sure borrow a part every now and then... but stop crossing brands... just to get in on the market of a certain sized vehicle at the right time.

[post="46963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe if the interior of the 9-2 looked like an interior of a Saab, then it would sell well. I wanted one, I test drove one, but could not get past the cheap subaru interior.
The 9-7 has a Saab interior and exterior, I can accept that. Saab spent time on that vehicle.

No Saab now or in the past is all Saab, they have always used other manufacturers components(including engines) as far back as the sixties(unsure about the fifties).

Maybe if the interior of the 9-2 looked like an interior of a Saab, then it would sell well. I wanted one, I test drove one, but could not get past the cheap subaru interior.
The 9-7 has a Saab interior and exterior,  I can accept that. Saab spent time on that vehicle.

No Saab now or in the past is all Saab, they have always used other manufacturers components(including engines) as far back as the sixties(unsure about the fifties).

[post="47061"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ya, they have used parts from other manufacturers... inluding engines..... but by engines, it was the engine block design. The ignition system was built for their aplication by Bosch, they do their own valvetrain and most of the engine is their doing. They basicaly take a skeleton model of another manufacturer that they co-develloped and then create their own version of the engine. this makes it more or less their engine. The block design on the other hand is shared or bought from another manufacturer.

the 9000 was designed allongside 2 other european cars.... one being an alfa.. I think.....

but the c900 and 99 were all saab and not shared with other cars. everything before that was as well.

The Saab 99 turbo has to be by far one of my favourites!

edit: Kaylan, I was browsing through cars for sale either on TSN or ebay and saw this cute little 900ems in light green in very good condition and was interested in getting it.... I didnt realize it was yours!!! Edited by TurboRush

the 9000 was designed allongside 2 other european cars.... one being an alfa.. I think.....

The 9000 was designed with the alfa rameo 164 and a lancia... not sure what model... i dont remember... i do have some photos... but dont want to dig them up.... its different if you all desighn a platform together... then if one automaker makes it... then big GM says they have to share... so another company uses it and makes another car with it and re-badges it.

edit: Kaylan, I was browsing through cars for sale either on TSN or ebay and saw this cute little 900ems in light green in very good condition and was interested in getting it....  I didnt realize it was yours!!!

[post="47623"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

haha yeah that would be mine.... its baby blue.... very very pretty!!! i miss it so much :unsure: it was in perfect condition!!

-Kaylan Marie

i think saab needs to come out with a car thats totally un-practical and has a crap load of power. :AH-HA_wink: just kidding.... but ahh it would be nice...

• 1 month later...
This is what SAAB needs to do: 1. I don't care where these cars are built. Unfortunately, GM (and many other automobile companies) has to build outside the country of origin to make a brand survive. Fortunately, technology is such that a TRUE SAAB (believe it or not) can be built in Germany or Texas. This just takes proper planning (I DON'T MEAN THE 97X OR THE 92X). One thing that GM MUST do is keep the SAAB designers and engineers. These guys are pretty smart and know how to build a safe, world class vehicle. 2. Make AWD across the line as standard equipment. SAAB can create a niche and make some major cash from it. Subaru is doing well at it but they are not luxury. A Swedish vehicle should be able to drive in snow (even if you live in Arizona). 3. NO SUV's!!!! Make wagons instead. Again, create a niche. 4. Make 8 vehicles from 3 different lines: 9-3 AWD 9-3 AWD Conv. 9-3 AWD Wagon 9-5 AWD 9-5 AWD Conv. 9-5 AWD Wagon Sonett AWD Sonett AWD Conv. 5. Combine financing with GMAC. They are doing this in early January. I have driven a SAAB and work at a dealership that sells SAAB's. I am considering trading in my GTO for a SAAB next year, so I hope this shows that I'm seriously interested in SAAB's future.

[post="46598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

but if GM hadnt bought out Saab, there is a good chance there would be no more Saab

Please leave this topic to people who own saabs, or have owned them in the past, or who have other ties to the Saab brand.

We have had some discussions like this on other forums... now i think we should bring it to the GM forum board....  :CG_all:

-Kaylan Marie

[post="45105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

An elite, exclusive club. Never saw that on C&G before. Interesting concept.

The 9000 was designed with the alfa rameo 164 and a lancia... not sure what model... i dont remember... i do have some photos... but dont want to dig them up.... its different if you all desighn a platform together... then if one automaker makes it... then big GM says they have to share... so another company uses it and makes another car with it and re-badges it.
haha yeah that would be mine.... its baby blue.... very very pretty!!! i miss it so much  :unsure: it was in perfect condition!!

-Kaylan Marie

i think saab needs to come out with a car thats totally un-practical and has a crap load of power.  :AH-HA_wink: just kidding.... but ahh it would be nice...

[post="49627"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 9000 was part of the Type 4 project with Fiat Auto and Alfa Romeo. The first three models—Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Saab 9000—shared platform, body structure and even much of the greenhouse and doors. The later 164 benefited from a significantly modifed structure and design courtesy of Pininfarina. Under GM the 9000 was highly modified to update it and break the visal similarity to the Fiat models, before being replaced by the Vectra-based 9-5. The Croma was forgettable and characteristically unreliable, but the Thema became something of a classic, helped in part by the late availability of a Ferrari V8 in the Thema 8.32.

The 9000 was part of the Type 4 project with Fiat Auto and Alfa Romeo. The first three models—Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Saab 9000—shared platform, body structure and even much of the greenhouse and doors. The later 164 benefited from a significantly modifed structure and design courtesy of Pininfarina. Under GM the 9000 was highly modified to update it and break the visal similarity to the Fiat models, before being replaced by the Vectra-based 9-5. The Croma was forgettable and characteristically unreliable, but the Thema became something of a classic, helped in part by the late availability of a Ferrari V8 in the Thema 8.32.

[post="65898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It doesnt seem right to me that GM had much to do with the 9000.... The last model of the 9000 came into production in 1993 (and was in production until 98).... if i recal correctly GM bought out half of saab in 1995... thats 2 years later

The body never changed any after 93. Maybe GM had something to do with the 9000 they had in 1998 (had wheels with bolts exposed and other minor changes... all of them had the aero engine and so on) Maybe they also had some influence on minor changes such as: On my 97 the door handels are different... window switches... stearing wheel... in dash sterio is changed... cup holder in the middle of the back armrest....

Maybe you know more on this then me but i am interested.! I was fully aware of the shared platform and the 'type 4' project. but if you have anymore information on what GM influenced on the 9k i would be glad to hear it and learn more!

-Kaylan Marie

:CG_all:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a former 9-3 Viggen owner and a Current 9-3 Vector owner, both somehwat rare Saabs. Saab has always held some sort of mysticism for me. When I did my Viggen driving weekend in Atlanta, I saw my first Sonnett up close and I fell in love! So what do I want to see happen to Saab? Here is my list: 1. Reality is that Saab would never survive on their own. As such, GM should use the Volvo-Ford model to spread the cost of Swedish inginuity across the GM line. There are soooo many tiny thoughtful designs in my 9-3 that it boggles my mind. Other potential innovations like the varibale compression engine block: h**p://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/000318.html ...should be celebrated within GM. I also recall a hydruallically shifted manual transmission which is the alter ego of an semiauto tranny. I.E. a manual which can shift itself. It's a better option that telling an automatic when to shift via a button or lever. 2. Change the focus of Saab to be innovation and safety in GM. Let pontiac be performance, Chevy be economy, Cadillac technology, Buick common ppl luxury, Saturn efficiency and GMC professional grade. Their headrest/seat combo has won many safety awards. 3. Focus on powertrains to set Saab apart from the rest. AWD, RWD, FWD, SMG, DSG, supercharging, turbocharging, superturbocharging, etc. 4. Here is the linup: 9-2x - small crossover based on theta, i4, turbo-4, awd 9-3 - small performance sedan - epsilon2, t4, sc4, awd, fwd 9-5 - mid/large sedan - sigma, t4, t6, awd, rwd sonnett - sports coupe - sigma, zeta, stretch kappa - twin t6, awd 9-7x - large crossover on lambda - v6, t6, twin t6, fwd, awd 5. Diesels across the entire lineup! 6. Continue dominance in the convertible arena! Why did the G6 get the epsilon hardtop?!? Saab owners would pay the premium, not Pontiac owners. Pontiac needs RWD and v8's. Period. 7. Where the heck is my 7" sat-based nav screen?!?! So there you have it. My pipe dream. Let Saab be Saab and have the rest of the company steal from them. Make them a powertrain/interior "homeroom" like Thailand for Theta or Oz for Zeta. Lastly, thanks for this thread! It's nice to dream once in a while.... SN

GM doesn't own Ford......

[post="76360"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Right you are! I was simply suggesting that GM leverage Saab's unique Swedish inginuity just like Ford did with Volvo.

Thanks for trying to be helpful with the clarification though.

And thanks to whomever started this thread! :)

*welcome* I just home that GM doesnt take all of saabs unique-ness and spread it across GM so that ALL of there other cars have all of the "saabish" things too... and then saab has nothing more to offer there customers... ah well we will see -Kaylan Marie