Tundra frame rot

01tundra1.jpg

BOSTON -- Team 5 Investigates found more than two dozen complaints on file with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration detailing problems with rusted frames on 2000 and 2001 Toyota Tundras. Here are some excerpts:

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra April 10, 2009

"The frame in my truck has rotted out in less than 9 years."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 26, 2009

"2000 Toyota Tundra with rust holes through frame, over and beside rear shock brackets and spring brackets. I am at my wits end with Toyota and have tried to resolve this obvious defect at every level. This has become a safety issue for myself and other drivers. It is just a matter of time before the frame will snap in half."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 11, 2009

"I lost my brakes. I had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked! They said it was not driveable."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra November 1, 2008

"Low mileage (72K) 2000 Tundra with extensive frame rust and rot in cross members. Spare tire almost fell off due to rust in supports, which tipped me off on how bad things were getting. Poked my finger right through the cross member the spare hangs from."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra December 21, 2008

"My mechanic said it is unsafe to drive. Called Toyota. They told me to take it to a Toyota dealer for an estimate. The dealer's estimate was in excess of $5,000. The book value is $9,000, which is just what I owe. I called Toyota back. They said too bad, good luck, have a nice day. Here I am and I am not having a nice day."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra February 17, 2009

"The mechanic pointed out excessive rust to cross members of frame. When the body was lifted off to replace these cross members, a crack was found in the frame. The truck is no longer safe to drive and has a value of $0 compared to the $9,000 before the discovery. Toyota will not back their product."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra October 15, 2008

"I sent vehicle in for front brakes service again and the mechanic informed me of severe rust to the cross member on the frame all the way to the bed. He did not want me to put more money into the vehicle due to the extent of damage to the frame."

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19294258/detail.html

:toiletpaper: or did they use something thinner for the frames?

How long until they blame a supplier for this problem?

You think they will do the same deal as the Tacoma??? (this will be just what they need as they burn through cash storing all of those cars all over the world, plus the huge price tag on the Tacoma recalls...)

Needless to say: :smilewide: it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people than Toyota and thier fans.

Anyone ever see the old Toyota pickups? Rust everywhere. Gee they must have missed that problem when they picked them up at the dealership. A basic case of you get what you deserve. :lol:

Edited by Daryl 83

Interesting piece to read, but I'm (not) surprised there's not a meandering overview of toyota's historical rot problems, casting all sorts of dispersions on the brand 'going back 30 or 40 years' and such... like we've all read the equivalent (EX: mentioning of the Cimarron in CTS articles).

My '40 Ford has never been restored, has nary a flake of paint on it's frame, and it doesn't have a thin or soft spot on it. So damned much for "modern metallurical progress"... :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Edited by balthazar

The clock is ticking on the current Tundra, aka "The Atomic Tadpole", but by then Toyota will have their money from these hapless customers, what do they care? Edited by ocnblu