Volkswagen Passat

HarleyEarl

Volkswagen developing coupe-style Passat to battle Mercedes CLS AUTOMOBILEWOCHE Posted Date: 11/21/05 WOLFSBURG, Germany -- Volkswagen AG is developing a coupe-style Passat that the automaker hopes will attract Mercedes-Benz customers. The unnamed four-door coupe, code-named the CC, will be launched in early 2008. It will be assembled at the Emden factory in northern Germany. VW hopes the coupe will compete against the Mercedes-Benz CLS. The base Mercedes CLS 500, powered by a 302-hp V-8, is priced at $65,675, including destination, in the United States. A VW executive said the Passat will beat the Mercedes significantly on price. To hold down costs, VW will use key modules from the Passat sedan and station wagon. The coupe's base engines will be a 140-hp diesel and a 150-hp gasoline engine, but a range-topping 3.6-liter, 280-hp engine will be available. -HENNING KROGH

Oh, sweet Jesus, cut the crap already. Its not a coupe. Losers.

Why not build a real two-door Passat? VW has already wasted copious amounts of time, effort, and money on W8 Passats and the Phaeton, so why not waste some of the aforementioned on a car that could be cool?

Ah, a coupe Passat to steal customers from Mercedes-Benz. Kind of like the W8 Passat that was meant to steal customers from Mercedes-Benz. And the Phaeton that was meant to steal customers from Mercedes-Benz. And let us not forget the wonder of an SUV, the Touareg, that was meant to steal customers from Mercedes-Benz. With all the success these models have had, isn't a "coupe" Passat the next logical move? Volkswagen needs to step back and take a good look at their company's name. The car of the people. Somehow, that seems to have been forgotten.

The way things are going, VW will be in worse shape than GM in the next couple of years. That's saying a lot. There is a reason why the Phaeton is no longer going to be a part of the US market. No one wants to spend over $50,000+ on a VW sedan that offers nothing new to the segment and lacks style and quality. This coupe will be an even bigger failure because VW will make it way overpriced and it will look like every other car on the market. I still, to this day can't understand what the deal is with VW. Why are they sending the brand upmarket? I thought that is what Audi was for. Now they're creating sedans and SUVs with very little price difference and styling. Then they completely alienate VW Golf and Jetta buyers by turning them into chromed-up Corollas. Are they smoking crack? VW has always been perceived as the economy German brand. Why can't they keep that philosophy? Edited by Cadillacfan85

Nothing says 'We have no earthly idea what we are doing' than blatantly f'ing up 90-yr old automotive terminology. First a 4-dr sedan is called a 'phaeton', now a 4-dr sedan is going to be called a 'coupe.' And we just read a piece a few days ago where VW admitted learning a lesson about grotesquely overpriced models, and here they are targeting mercedes again. The worst car company on the planet (aside from mitsubishi).

To everyone:
STOP USING THE TERM 'COUPE' IN REFERENCE TO THIS VW MODEL. I COMMAND IT.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
To everyone:

Thanks.

[post="46390"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

I could not agree more. Let's define our terms here...it is a crossover!!

To everyone:

Thanks.

[post="46390"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could not agree more. Let's define our terms here...it is a crossover!!

[post="56203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More like it's a stupid idea. What is wrong with an actual coupe nowadays I'll probably never know. Edited by El Scorcho

I'm hoping this new "head guy" can turn VW around to what they were when they were successful... the only affordable German brand.

The Polo should be brought over here... maybe toss the "Rabbit" tag on it, I don't know... they need something that stresses economy.

Their attempts at "style" have largely failed. They need to return to functional, yet likable styling.

Passat should be the most expensive VW... that means kill this new "coupe" and the Toureg.

My dream VW lineup, hopefully realistic:

Rabbit 2 and 4 door hatch, gas and diesel, with a GTI model

Beetle sedan and ragtop, return to 4 cylinder gas and diesel power, with 2.0t optional. Ragster's chopped top should be a model variant, hard and soft.

Golf 2 and 4 door. Base model available. Gas and diesel 4 cylinder power. Hand crank sunroof available. Slightly upscale GLS and GTI available.

Jetta sedan and wagon. Base model available (decontented from cheapest model now available.) Most expensive GLI should top out at, say, $23k. Gas and diesel.

Scirocco. Golf based. 2.0t power. Should base at $18k and run up to $24k loaded. Hand crank sunroof and cloth seats standard. Driving fun and style on a budget stressed over gadgets.

Passat sedan and wagon. Gas and diesel 4 cylinder. 2.0t and V6 options. Top out at $28k.

Kombi. Golf-based mini-mini van, just roomier than Mazda5, but with VW's old school cool. Gas and diesel 4 cylinders, with 2.0t as top engine. Tops out at $25k. Passenger, Camper and Delivery models. Front or AWD.

Any VW SUV should be based on the Golf, and have a soft top version available. It should value function over style, like the Thing. AWD available. 2.0t as top engine. Hoseable interior.

There ya go.

I'm hoping this new "head guy" can turn VW around to what they were when they were successful... the only affordable German brand.

[post="56444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think that if anybody has a chance of getting VW back on track it IS Wolfgang Bernhard...he has stated publicly what he feels VW's challenges are (i.e. trying to be what they are not) and he sounds prepared to make the necessary changes.
Hopefully they give him some room.

Why not build a real two-door Passat? VW has already wasted copious amounts of time, effort, and money on W8 Passats and the Phaeton, so why not waste some of the aforementioned on a car that could be cool?

[post="46247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nuff said!!!

Why not build a real two-door Passat?

[post="46247"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good question. It's amazing to me that just because MB created a sedan and calls it a coupe, the entire automotive world calls it a coupe too. How revolutionary. What's even lamer is VW following this "trend."

Good question.  It's amazing to me that just because MB created a sedan and calls it a coupe, the entire automotive world calls it a coupe too.  How revolutionary.  What's even lamer is VW following this "trend."

[post="58271"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True...imo Mercedes is the wrong company to be modeling yourself after right now...if anything, Hyundia is the one who seems to be doing it right...or more right.. than the others.

True...imo Mercedes is the wrong company to be modeling yourself after right now...if anything, Hyundia is the one who seems to be doing it right...or more right.. than the others.

[post="59558"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

VW are not "going after" Merc with this blinged-out Passat "coupe". It'll be similar in concept but for a different pricing segment.

The title of this thread gives me a migrane. I wholeheartedly agree with Balthazar... this is just stupidity at its most insulting.