The future of HUD?

Cadavillac

I posted this in here because Cadillac is one of the few GM brands with HUD, but if a moderator thinks it will fit somewhere else better feel free to move it :) Why are we seeing no new GM cars with available Head-Up Display? With the demise of the Park Avenue, LeSabre, and [imminent demise of] Rendezvous, Buick will no longer feature a car with the unique technology. When the Bonneville got axed, that left the Grand Prix being the soul vehicle in that lineup that offers HUD. GM obviously sees the benefit of the technology because its offered or standard on the Corvette and XLR. Are buyers going to have to fork out $50k+ for a vehicle to be offered head-up displays? I think that the LaCrosse, Lucerne, G6, Impala SS should offer it at least as an option on the top trim lines. Anyway, was there a memo on axing HUD that I missed?

GM just released the next generation of HUD. It's in the XLR, STS, Chevrolet Corvette, & I believe the Buick Rendezvous (I believe it now displays radio info but isn't 4 color if I recall). So, I don't think GM has given up since an updated version was just released. However, I recall Bob Lutz commenting on something to the effect that "HUD was gimmicky and it's an extra engineering expense that's hard to justify when few people buy it." So it could go either way. More info would be helpful. I personally love HUD in my car and wish the Lucerne offered the new generation of HUD.

Ooh yeah, I forgot about the STS having it. Heck, my Cutlass Supreme convertible has the 1st gen HUD and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. And perhaps Mr. Lutz should realize no one knows about it because it's never touted in commercials, and the most space it ever receives in brochures is half a paragraph with the same gauge cluster shot going 55 mph. Of the many, many people I've shown my HUD to over the years, all of them but one loved it.

I agree that it might be gimmicky but if GM would advertise it and tout it's usefulness then maybe folks would catch on. Again, GM is not taking advantage of good technology. Plus, it sets Cadillac, Buick, and the Corvette apart from the competition.

I cannot see in the least how HUD would be considered 'gimmicky' in actuality.

Oh I forgot; because it's in a GM vehicle. My bad.

[post="50431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Note how BMW was recently praised in an article for optioning their HUD on the new 5er because it brought that technology 'more within reach of the masses.'

Didn't know a 5-Series undercut a Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme, Corvette, DeVille, Rendezvous, Aztke, LeSabre, Park Avenue, and Bonneville. News to me.

GM led the way in HUD tech. To abandon it now would be a mistake.

I absolutely LOVE the HUD in my C6......before I got the car, HUD was a non-issue and the only reason I have it is because it's in the top (#3) package. NOW that I have it, I really appreciate it in even daily driving. One problem, however, is that the HUD speed never matches the analog IP speedometer. I'm not talking 1mph, it sometimes is off around 2-2 1/2 mph. That's kinda bad because now I don't know which one is correct. Also, I'll set the cruise when the HUD says "75mph" but the info center will read "..Cruise Set to 77mph." Once again, which one is right?

yeah- remember when the Riviera had the touch-screen CRT for the HVAC?  Every car mag on earth ripped GM a new one.  Of course, when BMW added one.......

[post="54282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

BMW never had a touch-screen CRT... that's probably Lexus or Jaguar, except their's were LCD.