Hand Tool Brands

Tool Brands  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What hand tool manufacturer do you use/prefer?

• Craftsman
    • Husky
    • Black & Decker
    • Stanley
    • Durabuilt
    • Snap-On
    • Other
    • No preference

I have a mix of hand tools, but it's primarily Craftsman. Sadly, I more & more find myself buying tools from Harbor Freight, because either Sears doesn't have the tool I want, or the price difference is beyond reason. I don't mind paying a premium for Craftsman, or any american-made hand tool for that matter, but when it is sometimes literally ten times more money for the Craftsman, and half the time I end up finding a "made in china" label somewhere on it anyway, I have a hard time justifying giving my money to Sears.

I have a mix of tool brands too.

I like Craftsman tools if they say Made in America. It defeats the point IMO if they are made in China, which more and more are sadly. I have set of Husky pliers and cutters that I've been happy with. My favorite toolbox is by Black & Decker (and happens to be Made in USA). I have a ratchet that I've been very happy with and a cordless drill by B&D too.

The ratchet set I use most is a 45 piece "Performance Tool" set I got from Pep Boys...great set.

I've been happy with Stanley's products.

Durabuilt makes some good stuff (screwdrivers), but their ratchets aren't that great.

For hand screwdrivers, I have a mix of some craftsman and some cheap ones, but my favorite ones are my Wiha screwdrivers. They are far and away the best screwdrivers I've ever used. German Engineering at its finest.

I have a 3/8" MAC socket set, spotted it in the back seat of a blue '77-79 Impala in my favorite junkyard. I opened the door & reached in, praying the red plastic case would be heavy when I picked it up. It was (pays to keep your eyes open). I was just a kid, this was circa 1983, been my go-to set ever since- nothing in it has ever broken. BTW- it was notably used in '83.

Bought 2 Husky metric sets about 5 years ago in a moment of relaxed standards, and have broken 3 pieces in it to date. Chinese garbage- never again.

As I have pretty much all the hand tools I'll ever need, I haven't parused Sears much, but recently I noticed hand tools there packaged on brown cardboard with green printed labeling, called 'evolv" - all made in China. I have never held a Craftsman-branded hand tool that was stamped 'Made in china' - is this true? Ahh well, I have numerous toolboxes full already.

Snap-On makes good stuff, plus a hadnful of really neat pieces, but it's all overpriced.

The Kobalt stuff looks decent, but I'd like to test it's durability before laying out cash. The stuff I've held there has been USA made - wonder who makes it for them?

I also have quite the mixture of hand tools, about 75% are used, older, and built pretty danged tough- no complaints.

This past year I came into a large lot of Klein tools (primarily electrical: strippers, needle-nose, linesman pliers, side cutters, etc)- Klein makes a fantastic product that gets overlooked because it's usually over in the electrical aisle. All mine are USA made.

Edited by balthazar

I like Craftsman, as it was what Dad used, I just grew into them. I do have some Kobalt and Husky, and I can't complain... they are very nice, and have a decent warranty.

Of all the tools, I don't care for Snap-On. I find them to be strong and high quality, but they are too slender... and when I really crank some torque into them, they hurt my hands. I prefer the thicker Craftsman and Kobalt/Husky.

Of course, I also buy a lot cheap junk from Harbor Freight lately. Especially tools that wear out or stuff I rarely use (like 1-3/16" impact sockets). Even so, the Harbor Freight stuff is holding up pretty well. Of course, I broke/bent a couple breaker bars and pry bars... but keep in mind, I create a lot force at times and have bent/broke Craftsman as well.

I own a few from every one of those, but I prefer old rusty tools that can be bought at a yard sale.

I love some of my tools that are 30, 40, 50+ years old and still serve their purpose.

I like to keep my tools clean if at all possible.

Half my tools are nice & clean, but many are nasty,

scratched up & oil stained with some surface rust.

I'm a part time junkyard dog... that's jut how I roll.

Any jobs I do just do NOT warrant clean tools.

I like my tools similar to my trucks & women:

The dirtier they get the more fun you're having. :P

Most of the typical Craftsman hand tools are still made in the US. Other Craftsman stuff is really spotty in that regard. I spent much of a day driving around town trying to find a vice that was made in the US. No luck, including Craftsman. Why should I pay $50 for a Craftsman vice that's made in China when I can get a comparable one for $15?

Most of my sutff is 1960-70's Craftsman that Dad bought when he worked on cars then. VERY durable stuff. I do have some Harbor Freight stuff that while cheap does serve the purpose. Some Menards brand stuff thrown in for good measure.

Balthazar:

I must have dozens of tools I've acquired in junkyards over the years.

Never found a complete set of anything but plenty of orphans. I love

it when I find a useful piece of hardware at the junkyard. :)

I've got a Channellock tool set and i've been extremely happy with it. I've had craftsman and still have craftsman but to me it's the same as other tool sets just with a big name. I like the Husky tools as this is what I used on a daily basis when I worked for the Home Depot and they were good as quality as anything else out there.