Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

May 2009: Honda Motors Sales

[source: Honda Motors]

American Honda Reports May Sales

Honda hybrid sales up 7.5 percent

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted May total vehicle sales of 98,344, a decline of 39.2 percent compared to all-time record-setting May 2008 results. Year-to-date sales of 430,358 represent a 33.3 percent decrease on a daily-selling-rate basis* compared to last year.

Honda Division posted May sales of 88,875, a decline of 39.7 percent versus May 2008. The all-new Insight hybrid posted sales of 2,780, helping drive an increase in total Honda hybrid sales of 7.5 percent.

"May of 2008 was the best month ever for American Honda, as consumers sought fuel-efficient cars in record numbers," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "Staying true to the course of providing fuel- efficient, high-quality, fun-to-drive vehicles will hopefully help see us through to the economic recovery."

Honda total car sales decreased by 48.9 percent to 51,947. Honda light truck sales saw a decrease of 19.4 percent to 36,928.

The Acura Division posted sales of 9,469, a decrease of 34.0 percent compared to May 2008. The TL sedan was the division's top seller, with 3,375 units sold.

*The daily selling rate is calculated with 26 days for May 2009 and 27 days for May 2008. The year-to-date daily selling rate is calculated with 127 days for 2009 and 129 days for 2008. All percentages reflect the daily selling rate.

Hmm...and Civic sales are off 61% for the month. GM clearly should have built more fuel efficient Honda like vehicles and they wouldn't be in the shape they are in.

SHAME ON GM FOR THIS! (irony meter pegs)

Chris

Just so you guys know, May '08 was Honda's highest-selling month ever (ever!). Have a look at the press release for May '08; sales were up 11% compared to May '07, led by huge sales increases of the Accord and Civic by 32% and 28% respectively, which also set incredible sales records. Thinking that sales could even touch those numbers during a recession is silly.

May '09 numbers are ok despite the percentage drop. Compare them to the last 6 months of sales. The only sore spots I see are the Element and Ridgeline, which need new life soon. And of course the RL, which isn't even worth considering at this point (there are still '08 new RL's on dealer lots).

Just so you guys know, May '08 was Honda's highest-selling month ever (ever!). Have a look at the press release for May '08; sales were up 11% compared to May '07, led by huge sales increases of the Accord and Civic by 32% and 28% respectively, which also set incredible sales records. Thinking that sales could even touch those numbers during a recession is silly.

May '09 numbers are ok despite the percentage drop. Compare them to the last 6 months of sales. The only sore spots I see are the Element and Ridgeline, which need new life soon. And of course the RL, which isn't even worth considering at this point (there are still '08 new RL's on dealer lots).

Sorry. Doesn't work that way. No one cut GM slack when their numbers were down after the 2005-2006 sell-a-thons.

We're enjoying the free market effects of the deregulated banking system that Teh Ricer Civic was talking about.

How nice of Honda to share in the joy.

Chris

It has more to do with the free money that was thrown around by the government with low interest rates, and the push by government regulated Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to make housing more affordable for lower income families than anything else. More regulation is not a good thing. The government likes to spin the facts because they will not accept that they may have caused the situation, and they like gaining more power.

Reasonable, simple regulation is a great thing. Put everyone on the same playing field and let them duke it out, free market style.

But do it with reasonable regulations...don't have one set for the regular banking system and one set for the investment or "shadow" banks.

Government caused this by not being proactive.

Chris

Hmm...and Civic sales are off 61% for the month. GM clearly should have built more fuel efficient Honda like vehicles and they wouldn't be in the shape they are in.

SHAME ON GM FOR THIS! (irony meter pegs)

Chris

maybe its because the civic is ugly, overpriced, not all that quick, is getting cannibalized by corollas, kias, elantras, and its own more interesting Honda Fit.

but its got teh vtec........

The new Pilot is pretty bland. Almost reminds me of an update of the old Isuzu Trooper/Acura something in profile.

The only new SUV/CUV/whatever I'm really interested in is the '11 Grand Cherokee..

Not an SUV guy, but I kinda get the GC thing.

Kinda funny, I am a big guy, and someone seeing me get out of the Miata the other day said

"shouldn't you be a Grand cherokee kind of guy?"

Chris

The new Pilot is pretty bland. Almost reminds me of an update of the old Isuzu Trooper/Acura something in profile.

The only new SUV/CUV/whatever I'm really interested in is the '11 Grand Cherokee..

thing about the pilot. it gets uglier when you get inside it.

the traverse should be spanking it in the future