Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Getting freebies from dealers

When my parents got their X5 the other night it didn't have the floormats in them (though I am asusming it was just something the car was supposed to come with and the dealer hadn't ordered yet) and they picked the floormats up the other day, it also didn't come with the rear cargo cover (you know, that thing that attatches to the rear seat and pulls out and retracts and whatnot to cover the trunk area)...that also wasn't in the car when we got it and they gave that to us also...Oh, and we didn't like the wheels that were on it so we had them switch to larger rims that we liked better (we almost got rims off an X5 4.8, then the guy realized what a big mistake he was making that he could've been fired for if someone hadn't informed him) though the rims situation was kind of part of the negotiations...

My anunt asked for the Custom Vette cover and They sent her a Speacil editon 50th aniversry cover that repels water and it breathes and stuff. the sticker on that is like $900 and she got it free

A friend of mine used to own a Cavalier a few years back (01, I think) Anyways, it it came into to the dealership, somebody broke into it, and stole the rims and tires on it. the dealership felt so bad they let him pick new tires and rims for it, pretty much whatever he wanted... I think that combo he picked out was like almost 2 grand. Plus he got floor mats, and a bunch of other goodies that I can't remember.... It looked real nice. Too bad someone rear ended his cav into a f-150 a little over a year later... :(

Never had luck getting more than a dirty look whe I go inot a dealership to grab a brochure. "What's your problem Cockhead? Just cause I drive an '86 Cadillac does not automatically mean I can't afford a 2005 BMW 540i, take yourdirty look and shove it!"

How about:

a power sunroof, a class 4 hitch, a transmission cooler and the trailer wiring?
(all on my '03 Suburban). Don't forget classics such as "I sure am thirsty" (if they have a pop machine nearby) or "I sure am hungry" (while rubbing your stomach). After being serious about purchasing said vehicle and consuming a great deal of the salesperson's time, you should try suggesting to the salesperson that perhaps you and your wife should leave, have dinner, and talk things over. They really don't want you to leave... I guess I'm one of the rare individuals that enjoy car shopping.

Don't be afraid to suggest unusual items such as a candy-bar from a nearby machine or car wash coupons from the car wash across the street. hehe.

After being serious about purchasing said vehicle and consuming a great deal of the salesperson's time, you should try suggesting to the salesperson that perhaps you and your wife should leave, have dinner, and talk things over. 

[post="49406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My father pulled that with me with him when we were getting our Regal and the salesman took us out for dinner.

I've been to 3 cocktail parties hosted by Cadillac and 1 cocktail party hosted by Buick. I get a phone call from my salesman wishing me happy Thanksgiving. I get free carwashes whenever I'm at the dealer. I got a set of Cadillac branded napkins that I keep in the car along with two tins of Cadillac branded mints and a Cadillac pen. I am personally one of GM's largest drains on profit margin. :P :P :P

But I guess I couldn't push my luck too far... Can't really beat the floor mats that I wanted from them. The saleslady asked one of her friend working at GM to send me a bonus off my invoice. I'll try the cargo net next, then last resort, posters :P Edited by ToniCipriani

"What's your problem Cockhead? Just cause I drive an '86 Cadillac does not automatically mean I can't afford a 2005 BMW 540i, take yourdirty look and shove it!"

[post="49177"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you said that, I theink their dirty looks would turn into laughter.

Sorry 68, but there are no 2005 540i's... :P

Nick: He-he... you caught me. While I love the looks of the new BMW 5-er I have not been paying attention to BMW for about 3 years now. It's hard enough for me to concentrate on anything new these days... all I think about is how as soon as the spring comes around I'll be selling ym Camaro and looking for a '59 Buick hardtop of some sort.

a car, my car insurance, my license plates and stickers, free maintenance, all car washes, and most of my gas.  actually, that's a lie, the free car is always a taxable benefit.  (but i am INCREDIBLEY okay with that!)

[post="49557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This part of the world demos are nearly non existant. :(

One time while working at Chevy of Lowell I traded in a 1997 Cadillac STS with 101,000 miles on the odometer. The car was pretty nice and since we only gave him $6500 for a trade in value I thoguht I'd pick it up.

A few of my co workers told me to just get the Assistant manager to bullshit the paperwork and buy it at $6500 for the dealer before the owner even sees the car.... after all that's exactly how one of the other salesman had bought his used 2001 Catera. $0 profit to the dealership.

What did I do? I decided to do the 'right thing'. I went riht to the owner and told Mr. Lanan that I wanted to buy this STS for my myself & Girlfriend and that I'd arrange al the financing and hammer out all the details, otherwise I'd take the car as is, no safety check, cleanup, oil change and all the other bullshit they do to all used cars. I offered $6900. In other words $400 profit just because the car sat in his parking lot for ONE day.

So what does Mr. Lanan say to me?

"Look kid you made me a decent chunk of change just by selling that Silverado the guy traded this in on so let's just say $6700 and the car is yours!"

NO actually, I'm kidding. I wish he had said that. He said he'd look into it....

The next day he walked past my deska and dropped off a piece of paper wiht $7900 highlited... it was the average auction value for that year/model STS in the N.E. area.

So what did I do? Did I say Screw this, I'm not giving him $1400 profit just because it took up a parking spot for one night!

NO. I was a retard and said "Fine" drove to Worker's Credit Union and got a loan for $7000, and payed the rest with a credit card.

So let's recap.... I made the company about $3000 gross profit when I sold the Silverado. My cut (commision) out of that was like $600.

Then I bought the very same car I had negotiated the trade in on and gave the owner $1400 for it even though he never touched it. No clean up, no safety check, no auction fees or commisions... NOTHING! Just because he's the man who ownes the dealership and I (being a retard) did not want to be a cocksmootch and buy it before he even saw it on the books.

So I ask you? Do you think I have good luck wiht Freebies? <_< Edited by Sixty8panther

I just bought a new car (details to come soon ;)), and recived/ was offered the following:

Inspection
Registration
Full Tank of Gas

And I was just offered this kicker today:

Transport of the car from the dealership (up in my wife's home town of Oswego) down here to Long Island, and the transport of our current vehicle (97 Venture) back up to Oswego to give to my in-laws.

Not sure if that would be free, but considering the salesperson is a friend of the family, and the dealership's owner is a member of the small church that my wife has been going to all her life...

Inspection Sticker and Free tank of gas are pretty standard these days, new or used. They were at Chebby of Lowell.... except as you can imagine guess who picked up the tab for both on my STS? You guessed it, your trully.

Oh! I almost forgot... Back when I used to go hang out with the CFO of the local Cadillac dealership, he gave me a 1:18 DeVille. And I wasn't even ready to buy a car... If anyone here's on the Island and looking into buying a Cadillac, check out Lynbrook Cadillac on Merrick Road. Just my gratuity plug. :)