Damnit.

So, I must rant.

In the local trade book was a listing for a 1982 VW Rabbit for $600. I thought to myself "Hmm, intriguing." I decide to call the guy up for more information and set up a meet for tomorrow. A few hours later, he calls me back and asks if I'd like to look at it tonight. Sure, why not... I go on my merry little way over to check it out. It had 68k original miles, the interior was pretty much immaculate, and the exterior was fairly decent without any rust whatsoever. I'm thinking "What's the catch? It must not run very well." The guy starts up for me. Runs pretty damn good... its even inspected. Then, another guy shows up on a bike. They've either met previously or they know each other. Not long after, this other guy says to me? "Are you still interested?" I say yes. "I guess he didn't tell you I was first in line." Nope. Right after, they talk about when they're going to the notary.

Why would you even tell me to come over if you had a planned sale already? I drove out of my way to look at this car only to have it sold right out from under me. I had no real need for this car, but I certainly wanted it. It could have made a good little run-about vehicle to keep the miles from racking up on the Cobalt since each additional thousand miles seem to procure more issues. Regardless, it irks me that I made a trip out to see a sold vehicle that I was under the impression of still being available.

So, I must rant.

In the local trade book was a listing for a 1982 VW Rabbit for $600. I thought to myself "Hmm, intriguing." I decide to call the guy up for more information and set up a meet for tomorrow. A few hours later, he calls me back and asks if I'd like to look at it tonight. Sure, why not... I go on my merry little way over to check it out. It had 68k original miles, the interior was pretty much immaculate, and the exterior was fairly decent without any rust whatsoever. I'm thinking "What's the catch? It must not run very well." The guy starts up for me. Runs pretty damn good... its even inspected. Then, another guy shows up on a bike. They've either met previously or they know each other. Not long after, this other guy says to me? "Are you still interested?" I say yes. "I guess he didn't tell you I was first in line." Nope. Right after, they talk about when they're going to the notary.

Why would you even tell me to come over if you had a planned sale already? I drove out of my way to look at this car only to have it sold right out from under me. I had no real need for this car, but I certainly wanted it. It could have made a good little run-about vehicle to keep the miles from racking up on the Cobalt since each additional thousand miles seem to procure more issues. Regardless, it irks me that I made a trip out to see a sold vehicle that I was under the impression of still being available.

Prolly just to be an ass. Some people are just jerks, that would really piss me off too. So sorry to hear you got screwed like that BV.

Seemed like you did. Maybe I'm just terrible at reading comprehension, but I'll give it a stab. :P

I had no real need for this car, but I certainly wanted it. It could have made a good little run-about vehicle to keep the miles from racking up on the Cobalt since each additional thousand miles seem to procure more issues.

If you had the coin for the Rabbit, why not instead use it to repair any of the small issues you have with the Cobalt.

That irritates the hell out of me too. You're not alone there.

When we had sales prospects for my grandfather's car I would tell people it was sold until the person who was looking at it phoned me back with a decision.

If you had the coin for the Rabbit, why not instead use it to repair any of the small issues you have with the Cobalt.

I have been. My intent was to keep the mileage off it to prevent such issues, which I presume to be from wear and tear. As I've in the past, I have no idea how the very limited wear and tear has had such an extreme impact on parts that should last much longer, but I digress. This is me planning ahead. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

I've had the urge for a second, beater-type car (that also happens to be a VW) for the last month or so. I've entertained the idea of something outside of VW, but generally haven't been as enthusiastic about the idea.

Have you ever thought about, say, saving money in a savings account?

Where do you think the means for buying such a car is located? I'm not a spender.

I understand that, but there are two types of saving: saving to spend, and saving to prepare for future mishaps or unfortunate circumstances.

I'm really not trying to rag on you, but you posted a thread the other day about rims for the Cobalt, and now you're looking at an '82 Rabbit. You yourself posted that you had no real need for it, but that you wanted it.

I'm at the point in my life where my education is quickly coming to an end, and I really, REALLY need to get a job. Job market for paid positions out here in my field blows right now, and had I been able to secure a paid internship this summer, I would have upgraded to an apartment downtown that offered a few more conveniences for only a couple hundred more per month. But, alas, I was a top candidate, but not THE top candidate for several positions, and I'm trying to figure things out...but I am renewing my lease for another 12 months and saving $6-7k. I hope to have found a job in a year, but if circumstances stay unfavorable, I at least will have something to tide me over for a few more months. No one has a crystal ball, but I don't want to ever be in a situation where I am truly destitute and wishing I hadn't spent so much back when I had money to spend. That's where I'm coming from on this. Your finances aren't my business and I do not pretend to have any real insight into your situation, but I hope you at least consider some of what I'm saying even if you ultimately decide to do otherwise.