G6 GXP info for a friend

A friend of mine recently picked up a black G6 GXP coupe with the Street Package. Her husband and I got to talking about the possibility of it having collector status, of course, depending upon how many of them have sold, will sell, or continue to even be built.

I weighed the pros and cons and determined that, even with the demise of Pontiac, the car really isn't that much of a high-profile auto that deserves collector status; and that it might as well be a daily driver instead of a garage queen.

Any thoughts?

Unless a cult following shows up for a middle-of-the-road midsize car with bugs bunny grill and a giant wing....I can't see it being a collector. Especially when the G8 and Solstice shared the same showroom floor, two cars that will most certainly become collectible.

This car will be as collectable as a Celeberty Eurosport or a Citation X-11. There will be some nut out their 25 years form now still thinking it was the greatest car ever.

I would tell them to drive it into the ground enjoy it and move on.

I would say take care of it and enjoy it. I am doing the same thing with my Bonneville it might by rare (it is, out of all 2005 Bonneville's made SLE trims were the rarest, from what I have heard, and is the only year SLE's had GXP styling) but I drive it to work and back and enjoy using it. She hasn't even rolled 30,000 on the odo. Not that I plan on letting it go anytime soon, and the only person who might get it is my son he wants it for a classic along with a 5th gen Camaro SS.

Edited by gm4life

I would say take care of it and enjoy it. I am doing the same thing with my Bonneville it might by rare (it is, out of all 2005 Bonneville's made SLE trims were the rarest, from what I have heard, and is the only year SLE's had GXP styling) but I drive it to work and back and enjoy using it. She hasn't even rolled 30,000 on the odo. Not that I plan on letting it go anytime soon, and the only person who might get it is my son he wants it for a classic along with a 5th gen Camaro SS.

I had a 1997 Rare fully loaded 30th Anniversery Bonneville SSEI one of only a few hundred made. It was so much in demad that it added nothing to the value when I went to sell it. In fact I owned it for years and never knew how few there were till I went to sell it. I think there were less then 500 made. I drove it enjpyed it and sold it. I loved that car but I in no way would want it back today.

I got top dollar because I took care of it and not for any other reason. Even then it was not an easy sell as it was just another old Pontiac that cost too much new and not very good resale old.

Unless a cult following shows up for a middle-of-the-road midsize car with bugs bunny grill and a giant wing....I can't see it being a collector. Especially when the G8 and Solstice shared the same showroom floor, two cars that will most certainly become collectible.

On the money,DF.

+1

I saw only one since GM started selling them. It is even uglier in person than it is in pictures. Did GM sell this car and Azteks just to have good excuses for when they decided to kill the brand?

You have to wonder. The work they did between 95-03 on future models finished off Pontiac so much the Solstice and G8 could not repair the damage.

Just think Pontiac could have been worse the GP was cleaned up before release because it was done when Lutz came in and he made them change the Aztek styled front they had on it and some other things they could tweek at the last moment.