Oracle can die and burn in hell

Why does oracle never want to connect to anything. It blows Back in 8i THe microsoft odbc connector thing worked fine then with 9, 10, and 11 oracle released these stupid client that can never find the TNS thingys.

Im proposing we switch all or DB's here to M$ SQL 2008. its simple type in server then Database Name and it connects.

If my phone rings about another oracle issue I will kill someone. How is oracle so succesful as a company when support sucks and its products suck.

Who else cant stand oracle or wants to help me out.

I had the stupidest call in my entire I.T. career today.

"Hello, I picked up my laptop today and the screen cracked"

"I emailed you a screenshot so you could see the damage."

yes... he emailed me an alt-print screen to show me the physical damage on his screen.......

I've worked extensively as a developer/architect in enterprise applications this decade w/ various versions of Oracle, DB2, and SQL Server. I'd rather work w/ Oracle than the others. DB2 has a lot of issues...

But for small web apps, I've been liking MySQL quite a bit..

It's going to be very interesting the next few years to see what happens since Oracle bought Sun, and Sun's Java technology has been my main area of expertise the last 13 years... I've been getting into Ruby on Rails and other technologies the last couple years, but JEE development is still my main thing....

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Have you used python yet? Its almost easier than VB6

I haven't... I've seen it, but haven't used it. I haven't done much w/ PHP, Python, LISP, VB or any of the scripting languages, mostly have stayed in the Java (not Javascript) OO programming realm, working in insurance, banking, telecom, and aviation related enterprise applications...lots of back end server side design and development, not much GUI or Web front end work.

About the only scripting language I've dabbled with in recent years is Ruby.

I really dont know much right now but, Im learning quick. After serving I finished schooling to get my ME\EE degrees so right now at my job we design and implement control boxes for machinery and we are starting to implement feedback to databases so the workers don't have to use gages and manually enter stuff in.

I really dont know much right now but, Im learning quick. After serving I finished schooling to get my ME\EE degrees so right now at my job we design and implement control boxes for machinery and we are starting to implement feedback to databases so the workers don't have to use gages and manually enter stuff in.

Speaking of manually entering data, the aviation project I worked on a couple of years ago was to take daily updates to airport/etc chart data from the FAA and automate the process of getting it into databases that are used by applications for avionic nav systems and the production of paper charts.

I was amazed how much of the process is/was still heavily manual entry, considering how many data points for all the runways, airports, navigation features, etc in the world there are...pretty complex stuff.

This is just the FOSS freeloader in me speaking, but have you seen whether MySQL-- Wait, Oracle owns Sun now, who owns the rights to MySQL, never mind. Let me start over.

Have you seen whether PostgreSQL is any good for large databases?

Well the problem is that your spark plugs are clearly bad. Replace those and you may need a new floppy dick drive...oh an the power supply fluid is probably low.

Remember the internet is a series of tubes.

Yeah, it's not a big truck.

This is just the FOSS freeloader in me speaking, but have you seen whether MySQL-- Wait, Oracle owns Sun now, who owns the rights to MySQL, never mind. Let me start over.

Have you seen whether PostgreSQL is any good for large databases?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to MySQL. Sold? Renamed as an Oracle product? I've worked w/ PostgreSQL on a couple small projects years ago, not sure how well it scales. It always seems when I'm on a big project, the client has already committed to Oracle or DB2.

So moltar, you work with the back end of web design, the coding and such?

Yeah, the business logic, data/persistence layers, web services, messaging, etc. Pretty much all Java development. A lot of what I do is designing and implementing components that run in app servers (JBOSS, IBM Websphere, BEA Weblogic, etc). I've dabbled in GUIs a bit--worked with Applets back in the '90s, more recently, JSP, JSF, Struts. Though usually I work in teams where we have a dedicated UI designer, GUI developer, and I work the middle tier and database sides..

Yeah, the business logic, data/persistence layers, web services, messaging, etc. Pretty much all Java development. A lot of what I do is designing and implementing components that run in app servers (JBOSS, IBM Websphere, BEA Weblogic, etc). I've dabbled in GUIs a bit--worked with Applets back in the '90s, more recently, JSP, JSF, Struts. Though usually I work in teams where we have a dedicated UI designer, GUI developer, and I work the middle tier and database sides..

That's cool, I do the front end development for websites...the GUI and such. I know my way pretty well around HTML and css, I can get around Javascript, and no a little about PHP and asp.NET but the look and feel of teh site is more my thing.

That's cool, I do the front end development for websites...the GUI and such. I know my way pretty well around HTML and css, I can get around Javascript, and no a little about PHP and asp.NET but the look and feel of teh site is more my thing.

Cool..I've worked w/ some very good graphic artists and UI designers, working w/ Flash, Flex, etc. Look and feel and good user interaction is difficult to get right. The UIs I've built for applications have been pretty ugly, but functional... :)

Cool..I've worked w/ some very good graphic artists and UI designers, working w/ Flash, Flex, etc. Look and feel and good user interaction is difficult to get right. The UIs I've built for applications have been pretty ugly, but functional... :)

Functionality and easy of use is just as important as how nice it looks!

So you guys don't hard code ARM processors with assemblers? which send binary to a computer via RS232 then a program takes it and sends it to a database then that data goes to a boss and then views it in a nice chart. The problem is this project is due first of august and We just finished the first prototype control box and we don't have any test networks up and running. FML.

So you guys don't hard code ARM processors with assemblers? which send binary to a computer via RS232 then a program takes it and sends it to a database then that data goes to a boss and then views it in a nice chart. The problem is this project is due first of august and We just finished the first prototype control box and we don't have any test networks up and running. FML.

Heh-heh...nope, sounds fun, though. I'm working on mortgage and loan processing systems these days for a major bank.

Wow!

Even I, am more tech-aware than that!

I'm not.

I do enjoy hearing/seeing others using the lexicon of the craft while I'm slack-jawed with awe.

I do wonder sometimes if I could, with the proper effort & dedication, be more proficient. Nah. (?)

Although I would've shot a photo of the screen w/my BlackBerry then e-mailed that.

All I did so far was make the case and power supply and leads then im setting up are temp testing networks on a new domain then become the one man IT team and supervise. There are some talented people there though.