Nice '88 Cutty Supreme Classic

Dude, I want it in all seriousness. I was asking, is it worth the price.

It appears to have a mostly solid body and a good engine, especially if it doesn't smoke or have a miss like the owner states (the '71 Cutlass S I wanted recently did/had both). The transmission is something I would go over with a fine-toothed comb: a test drive would be in order to make sure that there is some life left in the clutch and the gear changes are smooth.

I would offer $3,800 for it and, at that price, it's worth every last penny.

Why doesn't anything awesome like that pop up in my state?

Edited by YellowJacket894

It appears to have a mostly solid body and a good engine and transmission, especially if it doesn't smoke or have a miss (the '71 Cutlass S I wanted recently did/had both). I would offer $3,800 for it and, at that price, it's worth every last penny.

Why doesn't anything awesome like that pop up in my state?

If you want, fly into Orlando, and I will take you up there.

If you're sure you don't want it. I mean, you're local, so you do get first dibs. :P

But I will look into it a little more and figure out what it will cost me to obtain the car.

If you are taking it back, you will not have to pay for taxes. It will be all the price.

As for me, I got thinking, I need a workstation-PC more than a car. I already have two cars and my new apartment people are already cringing for me having them. Imagine what they will do if I put a third one, which they will think to be a "clunker." If I take this one to my girl in MI and keep it in our condo - get ready for me being slaughtered. Besides that I do not have any time for restoration and I would hate to drive it like without any.

If you are taking it back, you will not have to pay for taxes. It will be all the price.

True, but when I bring it back home and have it licensed, I'll have to pay Kentucky tax on it. So I'll have to have the owner write out a bill of sale for far, far less than what I'll actually be paying for it (think below a grand). Then there's the process of having the title transferred, which requires notarization from someone within the state the car was purchased from. I had quite a headache with getting the title for the '72 transferred and I had to make multiple trips from KY to TN. I did get lucky in the fact that the guy who had the title to the '72 was married to someone who worked for the county clerk's office in LaFollette and could notarize the transfer.

I am still seriously thinking about it though. I'd love to have a Cutlass S to go along with the Supreme and I've always admired the sportier styling of the Cutlass S. The four-speed tranny is just icing on the cake.

As for me, I got thinking, I need a workstation-PC more than a car. I already have two cars and my new apartment people are already cringing for me having them. Imagine what they will do if I put a third one, which they will think to be a "clunker." If I take this one to my girl in MI and keep it in our condo - get ready for me being slaughtered. Besides that I do not have any time for restoration and I would hate to drive it like without any.

It can be a long, costly process to restore a car. I got lucky when it came to restoring the '72. I'm still not happy with the paintjob, but it only cost $2,350 to have it painted, far less than what other people would've charged.

The '88 gives me high school flashbacks. A good buddy in high school had a gray-blue '85. As far as used cars, there were plenty of '81 and up (and a few '78-80) A/G bodies---Grands Prix, Monte Carlos (a couple SSes incl), Regals, and Cutlasses, in addition to B-bodies. Amongst the new cars, there was an '87 Monte SS (maroon) and a black Grand National...then all the F-bodies and Mustangs. The older A/Gs tended to have some rust, due to the Atlantic salt air.

Rob