Hyundia has Rust Issues

Just got some insider info from a friend who works at Hyundia. He said some models are showing advanced rust to the sub frames and control arms. These are not 10 year old cars either.

He did not give me the model names in the e mail but will post them when I find out. He said the fix right now is to drill the frame, hit it with a hammer to break lose the rust and then pump it full of wax.

Needless to say he was not impressed with the fix.

Might want to see if anyone else speak of this since it has not been reported in the press.

Don't get a good vibe from Hyundai in the trust department even before this.

One would think after the Z cars rusting away in the 70's. Tacomas rusting away in the 80's. Civics and accords rusting away in the 90's, that they would see a need to fix this but...

I think balthazar is right about asian steel.

Chris

This thread reminds me of something odd I saw this afternoon...driving along at about 70 (65 mph limit), light traffic, in the middle lane, when a silver Genesis blows past me on the right, at least 85-90. On my far left in the HOV lane was a gray Prius, going just as fast, passed me at the same time. The Prius then darts over 2 lanes to run parallel to the Genesis...the ran together for a mile or more, speeding until they braked hard for the speed camera truck that was coming up. Wierd.

Rob

no shocker.

GM got crucified for decades for various paint and rust issues and over time have pretty much all the know how down to cover their ass so they don't get sued big time for things like paint. i doubt hyundai has been down that road yet where their products have been slandered in the press as such.

most hyundais and kias i look over have thin sheet metal, touchy paint, cheesy seams etc. slap the thing together, get it on the boat, and collect the check.

most hyundais and kias i look over have thin sheet metal, touchy paint, cheesy seams etc. slap the thing together, get it on the boat, and collect the check.

+1

Chris

But 'hyundai has come SO FAR !!' and 'improved SO MUCH' and is 'trying SO HARD' and 'providing what the American people OBVIOUSLY WANT' and now 'have TRUELY COMPETITIVE vehicles' .... why would any individual or entity wish to spread accounts of misfortune or the substandard ? :wacko::rolleyes::wacko:

A nation that doesn't give a $h! will drive cars that reflect that fact.

Oops, was that not politically correct?

Chris

Well, the Wal-Mart shoppers want low prices everyday! Hyundai and Kia give them that.

Rob

Hyundia quality has gotten much better but no one said they were perfect.

The key to most Hyundia buyers is how much a month and it is often less than Honda and Toyota for more car.

Add in their good warranty, better than Honda and Toyota looks and it sells a lot of cars.

>>"Hyundia quality has gotten much better but no one said they were perfect."<<

No, but unfortunately many are saying it's 'good'.

I'm saying it's nothing to talk about, period, and there's no way in hell they've improved enough to eradicate the horrible quality streak that colors their short history.