Living unencumbered

Then you are lucky that you haven't had to find true joy in life without finding something much uglier first.

For some of us, we stumble into a dark place that we most certainly have to find our way out of. It is, for the most part, different for each person. A long, drawn-out process can be in store in order for you to find your way out and it can make you haggard. There are some people who let it get the best of them, and they never find their way out. For the people that do make it out, they have a much better appreciation and a clearer perspective of life and are stronger people.

We all have to face our demons sooner or later. Sometimes they'll show face when you least expect it. You are never fully and truly prepared to face them.

Take it from me. I've been there before. And who knows? I might just have to go through it again in the future. I know I still have plenty of life left to live, even still.

I don't want to speak for Camino, but it seems what's troubling him runs much deeper than the automotive industry. And I don't think he means living like a hermit in a shack in the woods, either.

Like Moltar said, I can see why and know why someone wouldn't want to live out their time on this big ball of dirt functioning as just another small, insignificant part of the machine. Some people just aren't meant to function that way.

Well said.

I think in many ways I feel like Camino.

I've had dark moments that might kill most people, as well as great joys in my life. These last couple of years have been a struggle.....

If it wasn't for my wife, crazy toddler boy, and family and friends, I might not be here today.....

Having a kid changes the way the way you look at things in life.

I've always liked to keep things simple, but I think even more so now. I'm not not a big fan of clutter....

I've changed a lot, almost like a new person, I guess.......

(I'm sure you guys might have noticed :smilewide: )

It's a real struggle, but you change.....it even shakes those core values you thought were set in stone......

I'm a big-time minimalist. I like it that way. No clutter.

I skimp on most things and then take a big trip for 2 to 3 weeks (stay in nice places and eat well for the least amount of money). I don't consider this materialistic as much as it is feeding the intellect and nurturing the soul. It's to relax and it's cheaper than therapy.

I've got two cars, but sooner or later, the Regal will go and I will only have the newer one (which I paid less than $20 K for).

Other than that, I have few furnishings, no pictures anywhere, next to nothing in the refrigerator and have some decent suits and casual clothes that I bought at the outlets.

For me, happiness comes more so from things inside one's head or life experiences than it does from possessions.

:thumbsup:

If you're encumbered you need to get some weight reduction bags and maybe think about lighter armor.

Oh sorry, thought we were talking about Everquest.

:cheers:

EQ was the first thing that popped in my mind upon reading the thread title, don't know why (haven't played it in something like 7 years).

I am a big fan of things as well. But it also feels really good to get rid of some extra baggage. I just sold a bunch of stuff on Amazon and eBay (excess college books, various car items laying around, an RC car, etc etc), and it felt great to turn that stuff that I never use into some liquid cash.

I'm kind of going through a similar phase in my life. After I bought my house, and shortly after I bought my GTO, I became overwhelmed financially. I just want to go from living above my means, to way below my means. I won't be keeping my GTO much longer, I'll be getting a cheap car with no monthly payments. I'm trying to lower my montly debt as much as possible, not because I don't want to own stuff, it's more like I'm sacrificing now for a better future. I still want to own stuff, but if I don't have the cash to buy it on hand, then it will have to wait until I do. No more taking out loans or using credit to purchase things for me.

I'm kind of going through a similar phase in my life. After I bought my house, and shortly after I bought my GTO, I became overwhelmed financially. I just want to go from living above my means, to way below my means. I won't be keeping my GTO much longer, I'll be getting a cheap car with no monthly payments. I'm trying to lower my montly debt as much as possible, not because I don't want to own stuff, it's more like I'm sacrificing now for a better future. I still want to own stuff, but if I don't have the cash to buy it on hand, then it will have to wait until I do. No more taking out loans or using credit to purchase things for me.

That's basically the philosophy that I've adopted too - I just need to get out from under first.

The total collapse of demand for what I do hasn't helped.

It's sad that almost every generation has to learn this, or should I say relearn this ...

Edited by PCS