Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Living unencumbered

63 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever tried it really?

Keeping nothing beyond what is truly essential?

The concept is tempting me.

I'd have to have a mortgage for that to be relevent.

Not exactly what I'm talking about though.

One of my clients leaves their house unlocked & open, which in this era is naturally surprising... but they really have nothing to steal if you assessed it (not that I'm in any way a potential thief).

I can't do it, I like things too much. And frankly- I would be... I guess it would be bored if I were to live like that.

Like living off the grid? In a van down by the river? Homeless? Wouldn't work for me. I like having stuff. And travel. And living in different places..

The energy required to disengage, to attain that state outweighs the complications of the encumbrances, for me, at this point.

Ask the Magic 8 Ball in about 10 years.

But it's definitely worth looking into.

I don't know about off of the grid but I am simplifying.

Working on paying off the house...

Get books from the library rather than buy them...I love to read. I shop for clothes at the thirft store and don't care about having much.

I like the idea. I plan to travel as I get older.

In your case, I would sell the mother truck, the Jag the wagon perhaps and the Camino. You need the big truck for work, and you could make the other truck run forever.

Get one car you really want, build it and hold onto it. Build a clone of the 71 GMC Spring big block perhaps. Or build a clone of a 50's Pontiac Delivery. Whatever floats your boat.

But as for me I have 5 children, so life can only get so simple.

Chris

I can't do it, I like things too much.

Same here. I know I can't take it with me when I die (never seen a hearse with a luggage rack, have you?), but that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy it while I'm here.

Just decide what you really want and go after them. I'm selling off some stuff right now to drum up extra funds for the Eldorado. Working for a foreign car dealer makes it all the more a priority to drive something big, obnoxious, and unmistakably American (even moreso than my Suburban) ASAP!

I enjoy "things" as well, I'm thinking of wiping the slate clean for a bit rather than swearing-off having possessions.

I've always said that "you are as free as you make yourself" - so I'm just thinking about making myself a bit freer for a while.

I'm tired of being tired and pissed-off.

Like living off the grid? In a van down by the river? Homeless? Wouldn't work for me. I like having stuff. And travel. And living in different places..

Not so extreme as all that.

XP715 - >>"I know I can't take it with me when I die..."<<

You can if you're build your own coffin ! :ninja:

I don't really understand asceticism. Call me materialistic, but I like to experience things.

Camino: If you don't mind me asking, what are you so tired and pissed about?

XP715 - >>"I know I can't take it with me when I die..."<<

You can if you're build your own coffin ! :ninja:

True, but that's crazy and too selfish for me. Sure, I could be like Sandra West (the lady that got buried in her Ferrari), but I'd rather my stuff be dispersed amongst others that like the same stuff I do. I like going out and hunting down that next piece of whatever that becomes a member of my permanent collection. I like hanging onto something so that future generations will be able to know of its existence beyond what wikipedia says.

I don't really understand asceticism. Call me materialistic, but I like to experience things.

Camino: If you don't mind me asking, what are you so tired and pissed about?

Ascetism isn't really what I'm after, nor is it a philosophy I follow.

And no, I don't mind you asking at all.

I'm tired of the status quo I've been living with, and pissed about a great many things. Mostly pissed about being stuck in a position that requires a ton of maintenance just to remain standing essentially still.

I want to give the old snow globe a vigorous shake.

And see where the flakes fall.

Edited by Camino LS6

Sounds like a big bag of suck to me.

I'm an American, I like things, and have been accused from time to time of being a bit materialistic...yeah don't wanna give that up.

I'm an American, I like things, and have been accused from time to time of being a bit materialistic...yeah don't wanna give that up.

Yes, I like things too. While living very basic has a sort of unique appealed, but only for a "getaway" not something I'd want to do everyday.

Nothing wrong with that. I like stuff, and enjoy experiences, and traveling. All require bank. I make good bank, spend some, save some. I've been accused of being materialistic, self-absorbed, and arrogant, but I've earned those labels.

Rob

I once vacationed at a hotel WITHOUT wireless internet. :ninja:

I can see where you're coming from, Camino. Sometimes being a cog in the machine can get to you. Sometimes the cog needs a break, but the inertia of the rest of the machine forces the cog to keep moving against its will because it "needs" to or "is expected to". Before you unload the wagon, fill it with a few changes of clothing, find a sitter for the dogs, and head to a remote location for a few days. Forget this place, forget GM and the air of suckitude that surrounds the automotive industry, and *live* for a few days.

Good answer, z.

Nothing wrong with that. I like stuff, and enjoy experiences, and traveling. All require bank. I make good bank, spend some, save some. I've been accused of being materialistic, self-absorbed, and arrogant, but I've earned those labels.

Rob

Add: Self-absorbed; ensconced in your 'press clippings' as you seem to be.

Modern man unmasked.

Aye, there's the rub.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0