Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Apple is getting on my nerves again

I've had iTunes since version 4 and remember the days when it opened quickly and everything was a breeze. Then Apple kept releasing new versions and forcing you to upgrade in order to buy from the iTunes store, which became a pain in the ass because each time they limited the number of computers and CDs you could share/burn your purchased music on. I bought the song, so I should be able to use it on as many computers as I want. I've changed computers three times since version 4.0, so each time I have to screw around with approving a new computer to play my purchased music.

Now ever since 7.0 it's become a big piece of bloatware that takes about 3 minutes to open, and a couple days ago I find out that my $30 left over from a $50 card can no longer be redeemed because the 'tards at Apple made me register now with an Apple ID. My card is no longer recognized because it has been "redeemed"...yeah, only $20 of the $50 has been redeemed, dipwads. I sent an e-mail to Apple, which they're supposed to respond to within 24 hours, and here I am 48 hours later and nothing. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with it being a weekend, but if I don't hear from them by the end of the day Monday there is going to be some $h! hitting the fan.

I've had iTunes since version 4 and remember the days when it opened quickly and everything was a breeze. Then Apple kept releasing new versions and forcing you to upgrade in order to buy from the iTunes store, which became a pain in the ass because each time they limited the number of computers and CDs you could share/burn your purchased music on. I bought the song, so I should be able to use it on as many computers as I want. I've changed computers three times since version 4.0, so each time I have to screw around with approving a new computer to play my purchased music.

Now ever since 7.0 it's become a big piece of bloatware that takes about 3 minutes to open, and a couple days ago I find out that my $30 left over from a $50 card can no longer be redeemed because the 'tards at Apple made me register now with an Apple ID. My card is no longer recognized because it has been "redeemed"...yeah, only $20 of the $50 has been redeemed, dipwads. I sent an e-mail to Apple, which they're supposed to respond to within 24 hours, and here I am 48 hours later and nothing. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with it being a weekend, but if I don't hear from them by the end of the day Monday there is going to be some $h! hitting the fan.

What ticked me off is a few months ago, I was getting prompted every day almost for a new release. I'd install it, and whoah, next day, new release. It was crazy. And then it has to continually recommend a new Quicktime, Adobe Acrobat and Safari download. And yes, it takes a year and a day to launch now.

As far as how many computers you can listen to the song on, I found that I was burning CDs when I had about 18-20 songs for a CD to use in the car, then ripped them as mp3s back on the computer. Ripping them back to the computer eliminates the "how many computers" problem. But yes, it's a PITA.

iTunes is the new Real Player. I have a feeling Apple codes it horribly in order to make people think Windows sucks, which will entice them to buy Mac's, and become turtleneck wearing bungmunches.

Dealing with iTunes became a huge pain in the ass for me, so I started to use a program that would use Windows Media Player as the way to sync music between my PC and iPod. It worked well enough because WMP 11 kicks ass, but I have a Zune now, and I don't have to worry about any Crapple-related issues.

Edited by TheCaptain

I'm thinking about switching to something else for my primary music player. I've always used iTunes though, so I don't really know what's good out there. I have Winamp (not sure what version), but I haven't poked around on it enough to know how well it does at organizing libraries. iTunes is pretty functional when it comes to organization, but since 7.0 came out it has become tedious to the point where I just open individual songs or albums with Windows Media Player.

Winamp is a solid choice, and it still has some features I wish Windows Media Player had. Namely that there's an "add" button to add files to your playlist. With WMP you have to open the folder and drag it in if you want to add it. Opening the file clears whatever is already there. Plus it has lots of coll kins. I've used MMD3 skin forever...because it looks really nice and is functional.

With that said, WMP has always had the advantage of being able to be minimized and retain playback controls in the taskbar, which I love. I used to not use it because version 10 was a dog...rather slow to load up. I'm running version 12 on Windows 7 and just like everything else on 7, it's very fast loading. Plus it has better support for finding and downloading music within the player, with Winamp you have to use the web browser. I also find it's ripping and burning controls to be easier to use. Even when I used Winamp almost exclusively for playing music, I would use WMP for burning. The other advantage WMP has is that it's video playback is a lot better. Half the time when I try to play a video in Winamp, the video window doesn't automatically pop up,which is annoying. So I use WMP for that too.

There other media players out there, but those are the two I use the most.

I haven't used Real Player in forever, and I quit using iTunes a long time ago. I really hate how when Apple wants to update iTunes it wants you to install a whole new program (Safari) too.

now something is fked on my itunes videos because my apple tv says it is not authorized to play the f@#king songs i paid for and reside on my computer.

bitches.

and i don't have the energy to slueth why exactly the f@#k it won't play cherry pie when i want.

but at least its not window vista

now something is fked on my itunes videos because my apple tv says it is not authorized to play the f@#king songs i paid for and reside on my computer.

bitches.

and i don't have the energy to slueth why exactly the f@#k it won't play cherry pie when i want.

but at least its not window vista

You always complain about it, but the GF's computer has never had any problems outside of the annoying permission prompts. Whatever comp you have just sucks balls, or it's the user. I didn't like Vista enough to upgrade over XP, but it's not a bad OS...just wasn't good enough to pay money for. Either way Windows 7 is on its way and it's the better than any OS I've ever used.

The world has moved passed Vista, get over it. :P