Lansing GM plant celebrates CTS Sport Wagon debut

Bimmer325

0908_06_z%202010_cadillac_cTS_sport_wago

LANSING – General Motors Co. celebrated the start of production of the new Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon today with the first vehicle rolling off the line at the Lansing Grand River assembly plant.

The Detroit automaker hopes the station wagon will appeal to customers looking for luxury, fuel efficiency and space.

William Mack, Cadillac CTS product manager, said the company expects to sell 4,000 to 7,000 of the CTS Sport Wagon each year.

At the same time, GM has also launched a revamped version of the SRX luxury crossover, which some analysts say could compete for the same types of customers.

Workers celebrated the new vehicle, which adds four models to the line, including the Cadillac CTS. They saw six weeks of downtime this summer as GM worked to reduce inventories and save money as it went through bankruptcy. The new GM emerged from bankruptcy July 10.

Hourly worker Bob Buck, a 39-year GM employee, drove the first wagon off the line. He welcomed the additional work. “It means job security,” he said.

GM officials are also excited at the prospect of the new CTS coupe being built at the plant beginning next spring.

Lansing GM plant celebrates CTS Sport Wagon debut

First Drives:

While some wagons are dedicated to cargo and/or family transport, the CTS 5-door is all about style.

Automobile mag

Conventional wisdom is Americans don't like wagons, imagining them as transportation for unwashed masses of rugrats driven by people who've given up being cool. The Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon resoundingly shreds that stereotype.

Jalopnik

Americans still don't like wagons, and that's a shame—this one's a beaut.

C&D

image_cd_gallery.jpg

Edmunds Inside Line

I'm really impressed by how well-executed this car is, even if it doesn't have much more cargo room than the sedan. It's form over function for sure, but it might as well be in this market. Nobody buys frumpy wagons that hold a lot, anyway. This thing looks completely modern and has serious style.

I just hope it does better than the Magnum, because these are the same exact things said about it when it was reviewed. I love wagons, especially ones that put form over function like this and the Magnum do.

I loved the idea of the Magnum, hated it's execution. I've always had a problem with the interiors and ergonomics of the LX cars. Had it not been for that, I might have bought one, though I definitely preferred the 300C Estate.

2061208.002.1M.jpg

Beautiful car. Now GM should make a Chevy wagon that is function over form (but still make sure it looks darn good, just not at the sacrifice of function).

Ditto / I think you've got about 8 of us pegged on that Idea :chevy:

I still want a wagon with the Nomad features moldern is OK but retro would be better packaged thinking of the 64-65 Chevelle wagons.

I just hope it does better than the Magnum, because these are the same exact things said about it when it was reviewed. I love wagons, especially ones that put form over function like this and the Magnum do.

+1

Chris