G6 review

bdc

the two reviews i've read of the car they cannot seem to crit its manners, only its interior and GMness.

[post="61644"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a good start though--the car handling well, driving quietly, good gearbox--all good things to hear from their reviews. The interior, well, we've heard that one before, and honestly, I can't blame them. I get more and more aggravated when I see a GM vehicle with a center stack, and then a rectangle outline of the radio/HVAC controls just slipped in. They SO need to stop doing that!

fire the bean counters please........

[post="61790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But what kills me is that it would be SO easy for them to just make a center stack, with the openings cut out of them so the controls stuck through them and you wouldn't see the hideous box that they just slide in. It would look flush, better-integrated. That's it--that's all the effort needed.

I suddenly have this idea. They can share radio units, but not the faceplace. Somewhat similar to the idea of a removable faceplace on aftermarket radios. Design the display and the buttons on designer panels fit for each car, then on the panels, an opening for the cassette and CD on the panels. Fit the radio on the the chassis, then overlay the panel over the whole centre stack. Keep the position of the radio in mind when designing. They can still share radios, but then still have the integrated look. I suppose it's just a bit more, with a few connecting cables and a bit more plastic. Edited by ToniCipriani

Its interesting that he seemed to like the car but said enough bad about it and GM in general to make sure no one ever buys one. Wonder why he didnt throw in something like "not a bad car considering it comes from a company thats nearly bankrupt." His opening statements show he is amounst the mechanically challanged.

What drives me crazy about GM is that they know they are losing the PR war, and even though in most cases GM is on the right side (pushrod, versus DOHC), it doesn't matter if they can't win over the critics! The critics are going to continue taking potshots at GM because of its stubborn adherance to 4 spd automatics (even though they are the best in the world) and to push rod engines (even though they are cheaper, more reliable and afford less maintenance). GM is going to have to beat them at their own game because the critics are going to continue beating GM until GM is bankrupt. From the opening statements of this clown, his biases are plain and we know he is going to nit pick. I am not saying some of his negative comments aren't justified, but when you open by saying that you expected this vehicle to be crap, you are setting the reader up to turn the page.

You know, I don't really givvva damn whether it takes 3 or 3.9 liters...

That's just an "imports are better" affirmation he threw in there and forms that all important NEGATIVE first impression for would be G6 considerations.

[quote]the G6 shares componentry and its basic platform with the Saab 9-3, which has always juggled ride and handling pretty well; perhaps it just took some time for the Swedes' chassis tuning to filter down to Lake Orion, Michigan where the G6 is built.[/quote]

Ok... whatever.... That's why the 9-3 is panned by critics. And I'm sure the Swedes have that much influence over "Big, Bureaucratic GM"

It COULDN'T possibly be GM's extensive experience with sporty Cadillacs or some of the best performance cars in the world.

[quote]It's flexible, too, with most of its substantial torque available right from idle, which means you seldom need to downshift the six-speed manual to execute a passing manoeuvre.[/quote]

The joy of OHV.... I bet you'd have to downshift that golden--god's gift to poser sports car buyers--3 liter Honda.

[quote]The GTP moniker attached to the back of the coupe's clean-cut body, then, might be a bit of a red herring. Previous GTPs were notable for their lack of subtlety - outrageous styling addenda like side strakes and roof rails abetted by raucous engine noises, stiff rides, and huge tires.[/quote]

Ummm, okay... because the previous generation GP GTP (The only GTP I can remember) had all of those characteristics.

[quote]but it may be lacking the expressiveness that Pontiac buyers are looking for[/quote]

Agree 100% but god forbid we add "gimmicky" "cheap" "boy racer" cladding that everyone loves on the new old lady Lancer and granola boy Impreza, because Pontiac would get b8tched to death for that just as they were 5 or 6 years ago.... (Double standard--I think so)

[quote]sitting up front, it always looks cars behind are about to rear-end you.[/quote]

And how does that relate to a G6 or my decision to buy one?

[quote]Though it's roomy and fully-equipped, the GTP's cabin still has a bit of a ways to go before it matches its rivals. While my tester's interior was as solidly-constructed as any I've driven this year, with no squeaks or rattles, the graining of the various surfaces didn't match that well, and there were some pieces - like the entire centre console, for instance - that looked like they were designed as an afterthought. Contrast the G6's flat console with two holes punched into it for cupholders with the Honda Accord's flowing console with its damped storage compartment lid, two-level storage box and extendable, leather-covered armrest. There's a perceptible gap between the G6's console and its (differently-grained) dashboard; the one in the Solara flows right up into the dash, and incorporates more storage, to boot.[/quote]

And the import enthusiast oozes out in his knowledge of intricate details.. But I do agree that the G6 interior needs work.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good review though!

"outrageous styling addenda like side strakes and roof rails abetted by raucous engine noises, stiff rides, and huge tires." So my car(98 Grand Prix GTP) has side strakes? Thats news to me. My car seems relatively cladding free with no strakes at all. Roof rails? I have a sunroof, is that what your confusing that with? Raucous engine noises if thats what you want to call it, but I do like how my supercharger sounds. Stiff ride, and huge tires, I wouldnt mind if it were a little stiffer, and now huge tires are a bad thing? When will Pontiac learn, their performance version needs 14s with economy series tires to be taken seriously. And dont forget 4 lug wheels.