GXP Solstice 260HP

Here is what is on the web site for the LA Auto show Pontiac Solstice GXP The sleek new two-seater gets more power with the debut of the Solstice GXP, which features GM’s all-new Ecotec 2.0-liter turbo, the most powerful production engine in the Ecotec family. This turbo with direct injection kicks a V-6’s worth of power out of a four-cylinder engine, an estimated 260 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. It will arrive in dealerships this summer. This is what is posted so it looks lime we will see the small jump in HP like we see in most of GM's new intro's.

I'm wondering if we're going to see this engine in any of the Deltas.  260hp going through the front wheels would lead to hella torque steer.

[post="63125"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We've already had this much and more going to front wheels. The Import tuners have FWD cars doing 8-9-10 second 1/4 miles. I saw a short bit today from a team currently track tuning a Cobalt SS SC down at Daytona for the Grand AM series. THey have high praise for the behavior of the FWD Cobalt. This turbo engine would really bring them into the game as engines must remain stock.

Torque steer is just a wildcard the RWD (only) people throw on the table. TO me it would be like a FWD (only) person making large of fishtailing in a RWD.

Ya gotta admit 130 #'s per litre is pretty darn impressive.

Ya gotta admit 130 #'s per litre is pretty darn impressive.

[post="63135"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is is, and I know from experience that the EcoTec is a very efficient engine, the smaller displacement version should be even better when you're not on the turbo.

And the torque steer thing, its just a pain in the ass.

Wow, 260 lb-ft as well? If they make a 3door version it will be a fantastic combination.

[post="63190"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:withstupid:

I have always wondered if the torque steer issue came from experience with the cheaper GM's or other brands. The H, C & W bodies I have drivin this really isnt an issue. Our A body wagon is another story, not a problem but much more in your face. The problem with putting this engine over to say the Cobalt would be expensive transmission and driveshaft upgrades. Which brings me to the question - how much is this GXP going to cost ? ? ? ? ? It would be nice if they could get it out at a resonable price but they will not.

For pricing it probably depends on what options it has standard. If it's just a base Solstice with the better engine, then it'll probably be close to $25k like Josh said, but if they put other goodies on it too it will probably be more like $27-28k. The Sky Red Line will probably be about $29-30k I would guess since it will only have a couple options. The Solstice GXP could be different and have lots of options available.

Wow... that's awesome! I just hope there will be a coupe version with a fixed roof like the concept.

Also, my Grand Am had very little torque steer... of couse it only had 150hp, but still... :lol: :D

[post="63425"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My Grand Am seems exactly opposite from yours. My Grand Am had alot of torque steer when it downshifted at about 30 mph.

Torque steer is much improved over past FWD high HP applications. MY 260 HP GP is not bad at all as is the new 305 hp GP V8.

Would I rather still have RWD, Yes! But The FWD is not going to put you in the ditch any more.

[post="63246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From many articles I've read, GM has done marvels with virtually eliminating torque steer even under heavy power... I recall reading the Impala SS with 303hp, showed little torque steer.

• 3 months later...