Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Variance

Is that supposed to make it look more like a rock crawler??  It did get beat out by a Nissan Frontier and Jeep GC for off-roading......and those both had aluminum rims.

[post="105040"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Would you rather have $1,000-2,000 rims while offroading or a steel wheel?

Would you rather have $1,000-2,000 rims while offroading or a steel wheel?

[post="105098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know how the trim levels of the FJ are laid out.....but if you buy the base version, and you just get black steel wheels.....then yes, I would prefer that the vehicle come with $2K rims.....that if I wanted to, I could replace with steel beadlocks for the few times I go off-roading......and not have to drive all around town with black steelies.

Those wheels made the FJ look so cheap compared to all the other vehicles in the test.

Have any of you actually sat in it yet, or even drove it? Me and Ted are probably the first one who have done both at the Toronto Auto Show. All of you talk about it, like you know the car inside-out, go sit in it, drive it, then draw your conclusions.

When do they hit lots?  I will probably go check one out, it would make a more logical (less cramped) successor to the Solara when Baby Satty is born and I realize I dont have enough room in my car.

[post="105338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They already took downpayments for it, someone told me there is a four month wait for them.

Not to mention the fact that a "rugged" vehicle should be able to take abuse. Get real... pick a side. I don't like it for any reason but, I know without a doubt that there will be rabid Toyota fans that would creme their pants to own one. Personally, if Chevrolet produced a cheap K5... even if it did have a cheap craptastic interior I would by the crud out of it too... To each their own!

Nope. Still don't get the bashing without a sit-down...

To me, the whole thing is ugly, outside and inside, but, there are certainly worse offenders out in the auto-universe. I'm assuming they were going for 60's/70's look to the interior (& failed.)

I've seen plenty of vehicles that look good from a distance and are horrible to sit in. I don't think you can hurl the invectives like those used here:

"Worst interior ever." for instance. C'mon. Sat in a Korean Suzuki recently, or a GMT800 P/U?

BTW-Why would journo's be 'afraid' to write something bad about Toyota? Are they like the Mafia or something?

[post="64270"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've actually been in numerous FJs now.....and I say....

UGLY interior, but still top-notch fit-and-finish, materials, and switchgear.

I can't bash Toyota because I don't like the looks of the interior....that's my subjective opinion....what I find offensive, there will surely be many that find it appealing. At least they still used good materials and solid plastics....and that I can recognize.

You don't put abused vehicles on an autoshow floor.

[post="105570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No... they just decided to make them like that in the factory... :duh:

I'm assuming they didn't have production versions available, so they displayed their pre-production.

I've actually been in numerous FJs now.....and I say....

UGLY interior, but still top-notch fit-and-finish, materials, and switchgear.

I can't bash Toyota because I don't like the looks of the interior....that's my subjective opinion....what I find offensive, there will surely be many that find it appealing.  At least they still used good materials and solid plastics....and that I can recognize.

[post="105991"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, I gotta agree with you, the interior is ugly, however, the lighting on the dash and instrument cluster makes it look nice driving at nice. Toyota always had boring, or unattractive interiors, however their use of materials, and how they're put together gave them the good reputation.

That's some nice abuse the pre-productions took during their testing.

[post="105567"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i think that's the exact same FJ they had here at the autoshow yesterday. They wouldn't let you in the seating area but the trunk was open. I was aghast at the cheapness of the interior from what I saw. i GET that this thing is supposed to be a no nonsense vehicle and all that. However, they took it too far. You have to make it livable. Some of the cargo plastics looked like they would not hold up six months. They already had one of the trunk area pieces taped up with black tape. It looked like thick trash bag plastic. From what i saw, this was even on the door panels. The S-10 dash looked really cheap. To credit, the seats, shifter and steering wheel looked ok.

But, to put this in perspective......a bottom end FJ compared to a gutless gas sucking Element is a much wiser purchase decision and you can do a lot more with it. I have major ambivalence over the cheapness of the interior, yet at the lowest trim level, I think its a justifiable purchase because you are getting a real motor with usable power, its fairly spacious, and it should hold up for mild duty.

If you buy one, be prepared to live with the horrific plastics inside. Is there a trim upgrade available for this thing? Edited by regfootball

If you buy one, be prepared to live with the horrific plastics inside.

[post="106086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Anyone with a mid-90's GM will feel right at home. And the Element gets terrible mileage, 2 or 4wd, auto or manual, for a 4cyl.

Anyone with a mid-90's GM will feel right at home.  And the Element gets terrible mileage, 2 or 4wd, auto or manual, for a 4cyl.

[post="106278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

what i read from owner comments on Edmunds was to expect about 20 mpg with the Element. Hell, my ugly ugly ugly Aztek gets 20-22 mpg. If I were an Element owner, I would expect at least 25 mpg. I would be willing to bet that the FJ will get close to 20 mpg.

But, to put this in perspective......a bottom end FJ compared to a gutless gas sucking Element is a much wiser purchase decision and you can do a lot more with it. 

[post="106086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have to disagree with you. Me and Ted at the show concluded that for the same money, and they do end up costing the same, you're better off with the FJ. First off, you get a real truck, with real off-road capabilities, more room, more power, and the Element is a Civic with 4WD. For the same money.

I have to disagree with you.  Me and Ted at the show concluded that for the same money, and they do end up costing the same, you're better off with the FJ.  First off, you get a real truck, with real off-road capabilities, more room, more power, and the Element is a Civic with 4WD.  For the same money.

[post="106346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

UM, dude....I'm saying clearly that the FJ is a wiser purchase decision......... :stupid: Edited by regfootball

It will be interesting to see how many FJ's actually sell close to the 23,000 base price.  At 23k its a good buy.  Get beyond 25-26k and I think we have some issues.

[post="106865"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, thats getting into Freelander territory and we know how the Freelander sold. For close to $30k there are better alternatives for both everyday SUV transportation, and why would you pay $8k more for an Fj than for a Wrangler which should have equal off-road skills?

I wouldn't buy a Freelander, they've got pretty shotty interiors from what I heard, plus the only Land ROver I like is the LR3. Anyway I think the FJ is pretty neat, it's at least distinctive, unlike everything else Toyota makes. But if I were looking at an offroader like this I would probbaly check out an Xterra and wait on the redesigned Jeep Wrangler, which looks quite nice. Edited by Dodgefan

I wouldn't buy a Freelander, they've got pretty shotty interiors from what I heard, plus the only Land ROver I like is the LR3. Anyway I think the FJ is pretty neat, it's at least distinctive, unlike everything else Toyota makes. But if I were looking at an offroader like this I would probbaly check out an Xterra and wait on the redesigned Jeep Wrangler, which looks quite nice.

[post="107546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dodgefan, we need more members like you on this board, neutral. 8)

Dodgefan, we need more members like you on this board, neutral.  8)

[post="107854"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:unsure:

His screen name is "Dodgefan". I'm guessing he's partial to Dodges?

He just said that all Toyotas suck except for the FJ....which even I would agree with. Heck, I even like the FJ's interior.

At least you could change your name to Toyota Kris to show that you aren't neutral.

what i read from owner comments on Edmunds was to expect about 20 mpg with the Element.

[post="106287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Out of 19 users who reported the mileage on their 4sp Auto 2wd and 4wd Elements at fueleconomy.gov, the average mileage (combined) was 23.25. Not much better than what Edmunds users reported, but still not bad for a 4sp Auto 2.4L 3400 lb box on wheels.

Hell, my ugly ugly ugly Aztek gets 20-22 mpg.

But it's an..... aztek :o

Out of 19 users who reported the mileage on their 4sp Auto 2wd and 4wd Elements at fueleconomy.gov, the average mileage (combined) was 23.25. Not much better than what Edmunds users reported, but still not bad for a 4sp Auto 2.4L 3400 lb box on wheels.
But it's an..... aztek  :o

[post="107946"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

seeing the horseshit gas mileage on the Element made me all the more glad I didn't get one. 23 mpg for a 4 cylinder, HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's as lame as my buddy's passat barely cracking 20 and having to listen to him complain about how slow it is. As for 3400 pounds, nice that such a p*ssy vehicle weighs so much. Sorry, I'll take my Aztek, its better looking, gets the same gas mileage, is quiet and smooth on the road, seats 5 in total comfortm and i can get full sheets of plywood or dryall flat into it when i want to. I don't have suicide doors to navigate to get my kid in and out. To top it off, i saved 4 grand vs. the Element. I doubt that 23mpg was for the auto/4wd version. Edmunds users were mostly lucky to break 20 with that combo. I'll occasionally see 25-27 on trips with mine. In the worst winter months with lots of dead traffic and cold idling I still break the 20mpg. Not bad for an SUV that can actually hold something.

In the same vein, that's how I see the FJ panning out is that its got usable space and real people comfort and will probably get BETTER mpg than the toy car Element. Edited by regfootball

:unsure:

His screen name is "Dodgefan".  I'm guessing he's partial to Dodges?

He just said that all Toyotas suck except for the FJ....which even I would agree with.  Heck, I even like the FJ's interior.

At least you could change your name to Toyota Kris to show that you aren't neutral.

[post="107892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: I don't think all Toyotas suck, but I do think they are overrated. Also I think the new Yaris is cute, except that stupid center-mounted guage cluster, and I like the Tacoma...the new Camry in "S" trim is ok...but yeah the Corolla is suckage, the new Tundra is ugly...so yeah I like some stuff but not all. Oh, and yes: I do like Dodge ^_^