Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Variance

A new cruiser for the kids
By Karl Brauer
Date posted: 01-01-2006

If your first thought when gazing at the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser is something along the lines of, "Oh great, another retro vehicle," you're not alone. Between the Volkswagen "New" Beetle, Mini Cooper, Ford Mustang and recently unveiled Dodge Challenger, it could be argued that automakers have run out of new ideas and are simply living off their past glory.

But there's a flaw in that line of thinking. Simply put, Toyota is having plenty of success with its current SUV lineup. Even the company's oldest off-road design, the Land Cruiser, continues to win awards and accolades, including Edmunds' 2006 Most Wanted SUV over $45,000. So unlike the companies building those other retro vehicles, Toyota doesn't need the FJ Cruiser to revive interest in the brand. In fact, the original FJ concept vehicle was designed at Toyota's Calty Design Research center in Newport Beach, California, and shown at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show as a pure concept study, with no serious plans for production.

However, with consumers doing cartwheels around the FJ Cruiser's show stand, and the automotive press writing rave reviews, Toyota decided to put it into production six months after the concept debuted. The first prototype was built on a modified Prado (4Runner/GX 470) platform in the summer of 2004, and the final production models will be in dealerships by March 2006.

The "go" to match its retro

And while the FJ Cruiser's lineage is long ("FJ" has been the Land Cruiser's internal vehicle code name for over 50 years ago), Toyota's vice president of marketing, Jim Farley, has dubbed the 2007 version "…the most distinctive and capable 4x4 in the Toyota lineup." That's quite a statement from the company building the existing Land Cruiser and 4Runner. Farley adds that the FJ Cruiser not only moves the Land Cruiser tradition forward, but does so at a starting price below $25,000 (exact pricing has yet to be announced), making it available to a far wider range of buyers.

To avoid the poseur label that could have easily befallen a new SUV wearing the "FJ" badge, Toyota has outfitted the FJ with a choice of two 4x4 systems, two transmissions and two types of locking differentials. The base model offers two-wheel drive and a five-speed automatic, and in the "Pre-Runner" spirit even two-wheel-drive models can be had with an electric locking rear differential. They also come with a standard automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD) that reads the relative speed of the rear-drive wheels and attempts to match them (this feature can be disabled by a switch on the dash).

But Toyota expects over 90 percent of FJs sold in the first year (with a production run of around 46,000 units) to be 4x4 models. The same five-speed automatic is available on 4x4 FJ Cruisers, as is a six-speed manual that includes a clutch start cancel feature. This allows you to start the engine without depressing the clutch, which can be a lifesaver when you've stalled on a steep incline and would rather not dance between the brake and clutch pedal as the vehicle rolls uncontrollably down a hill.

Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential. This model uses a Torsen limited-slip center differential with a static 40-60 torque split between the front and rear axles. However, up to 70 percent of power can be sent to the rear wheels, and up to 53 percent to the front wheels, depending on available traction at each end.

Regardless of tranny and driveline configuration you get the same Toyota aluminum block 4.0-liter, 60-degree V6 engine from the Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner. With dual-overhead cams, 24 valves and VVT-i technology, the engine manages 239 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 278 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm. Note that both numbers are based on 91-octane fuel, which isn't required but is recommended.

Preliminary mileage numbers are 18/22 for the automatic 4x2, 16/19 for the 4x4 with manual transmission and 17/21 for the 4x4 automatic. All models offer a 5,000-pound towing capacity, and our automatic 4x4 test vehicle got to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds. Not flying, but neither does it feel slow in normal, everyday driving.

Not your soccer mom's SUV

With those mileage figures, along with its premium fuel recommendation, the FJ Cruiser may not be as popular with suburban moms as SUVs were in the days of sub-$2-a-gallon gasoline. Throw in a nearly inaccessible rear seat, even when utilizing the small reverse-opening rear doors, and you have a rather inhospitable vehicle for soccer practice drop-offs or local mall runs.

Yet Toyota isn't worried, as the automaker is sincere when it says the vehicle is designed for young (and kudos to Toyota for not saying "the young at heart") single males who can appreciate the FJ's extreme off-road capabilities. Beyond the two-speed transfer case, available locking differential and 17-inch wheels wearing 32-inch tires, all 4x4 models offer 9.6 inches of ground clearance, 34-degree approach and 30-degree departure angles and a 27.4-degree break-over angle. Skid plates for the engine, transfer case and fuel tank, along with 8 and 9 inches of front and rear suspension travel, respectively, would certainly go to waste on Rodeo Drive (though we're sure at least a few will end up there, nonetheless).

We personally tested all of these items in some of the most aggressive off-road driving we've yet experienced. The articulation of the double A-arm front suspension and four-link rear suspension was truly amazing to behold (whether riding in the cabin or watching from outside). Our test car also had Toyota's optional A-TRAC system, which can be activated with a switch on the dash and offers much of the same effect as a locking differential — without any binding during tight turns at low speeds. In the months leading up to the FJ Cruiser's launch in March you'll hear much ado about the vehicle's off-road prowess. It may come off as hype, but trust us when we tell you — it isn't.

Prowess has a price

With the FJ Cruiser hopping rough terrain like a frightened gazelle, you might expect on-road driving dynamics akin to a wounded ostrich. But if you've experienced any of the current-generation Land Cruisers, you know Toyota expects more from even its most capable boulder bashers. The FJ, like the Land Cruiser, is a highly affable mode of transport, even if you never go off-road. Seat comfort is superb, with supportive bolsters and a soft yet durable cloth. And despite its breadbox design there is little wind noise at speeds above 50 mph.

Steering response and braking confidence (it stopped from 60 mph in 126 feet) are also on par with even the most carlike SUVs currently available. Slalom speed was a mediocre 56 mph, but that's more a reflection of Toyota's overly aggressive stability control system than the FJ's lack of handling prowess, as it's really quite good — for a 4,300-pound SUV.

But as already mentioned, don't look to the FJ as your minivan replacement. While second-row seating is spacious enough, getting into those seats requires both a high step-up and a contortionist dance, even with the rear doors open. And rear visibility is tanklike because of the wide C-pillar and tiny corner window that proves as effective as a solar-powered flashlight. We should further point out that front visibility also takes a hit due to the high hood line, making both parking maneuvers and off-road obstacle-spotting a tricky prospect.

We do approve of the interior design, which stays true to the original FJ philosophy by being straightforward and functional rather than overly stylized and littered with gimmicks (OK, the inclinomoter in the optional dash-top gauge cluster may be a little cheesy). We do wish Toyota (along with Acura and Jaguar) would lose the bulky gated shifter design, and the color-matched center stack may not work for everyone. But kudos to them for supplying an MP3 auxiliary input on even the base audio system, and for offering an optional power outlet package with a 115-volt, three-prong A/C outlet in the cargo area.

More to come

There's already talk of a "Moab" special-edition model that will feature the talents of Toyota's in-house tuner division, TRD. Beyond that there will be a full line of accessories covering everything from roof racks to rock rails to locking storage boxes and a removable Garmin "Quest 2" navigation unit. And that's just from Toyota. More than 60 aftermarket companies have already been given full access to preproduction FJ Cruisers, and you can bet they are all hard at work on their own lines of baubles and bolt-ons.

One thing's for sure, if Toyota only produces 46,000 in the first year and the price starts at less than $25,000, there will be more demand than supply, which will inevitably mean dealer markups and eBay auctions.

So, from that perspective, the FJ will be just like every other retro vehicle of the last decade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=108557

Edited by VarianceJ30

I hate how the rear-end light's stick out the way they do, but other then that, it's not that bad. Not that great either... I mean sure it's different and unique but that's the only thing I find appealing, I'm more of a Jeep/Bronco/Jimmy guy anyways. I think this will do alright in the market place though.

We do approve of the interior design, which stays true to the original FJ philosophy by being straightforward and functional rather than overly stylized and littered with gimmicks. We do wish Toyota (along with Acura and Jaguar) would lose the bulky gated shifter design, and the color-matched center stack may not work for everyone. But kudos to them for supplying an MP3 auxiliary input on even the base audio system, and for offering an optional power outlet package with a 115-volt, three-prong A/C outlet in the cargo area.

Give me a break :rolleyes: If GM had produced this interior Edmunds would be ripping them a new one.

It will definetly sell 46k units, but that's pretty pathetic -- less than 4k per month is next to nothing for an under-$25k SUV.

Guest gmrebirth

Give me a break  :rolleyes:  If GM had produced this interior Edmunds would be ripping them a new one.

It will definetly sell 46k units, but that's pretty pathetic -- less than 4k per month is next to nothing for an under-$25k SUV.

[post="63550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not so when this is a niche SUV marketed specifically towards off-roaders.

Posted Image

This interior is pure shit. The accolades are coming in already though it looks like it was deisgned by GM's worst in the 80's. They complain about the solstice interior, but this is just wonderful.

A Toyota deisgner could drop a warm steamer on the dash and all the BS media outlets would proclaim that a pile of crap is the newest in Gen-Y styling. The turd even has an I-Pod hookup, but all your music tend to sound like shit.

(I think those HVAC vents were stolen directly from my 1992 Grand Prix to be honest.)

Mark my words... For the "bling" crowd, this will be the next Chrysler 300. Not that it would be deserving... This also appears to be Toyota going after the Jeep Wrangler crowd. This will reluctantly be a hit, because unlike GM's efforts with the HHR, Toyota will market the living hell out of this thing. Or maybe ipeople will just hear the word "Toyota" and their ears will automatically perk up.

Posted Image

This interior is pure shit.  The accolades are coming in already though it looks like it was deisgned by GM's worst in the 80's.  They complain about the solstice interior, but this is just wonderful.

A Toyota deisgner could drop a warm steamer on the dash and all the BS media outlets would proclaim that a pile of crap is the newest in Gen-Y styling.  The turd even has an I-Pod hookup, but all your music tend to sound like shit.

(I think those HVAC vents were stolen directly from my 1992 Grand Prix to be honest.)

[post="63739"][/post]

it looks like an old 80's S-10 dashboard. and that's no complement.

Give me a break  :rolleyes:  If GM had produced this interior Edmunds would be ripping them a new one.

[post="63550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ditto. Worst interior ever.

I was also bemused by this little tidbit:

But as already mentioned, don't look to the FJ as your minivan replacement. While second-row seating is spacious enough, getting into those seats requires both a high step-up and a contortionist dance, even with the rear doors open. And rear visibility is tanklike because of the wide C-pillar and tiny corner window that proves as effective as a solar-powered flashlight. We should further point out that front visibility also takes a hit due to the high hood line, making both parking maneuvers and off-road obstacle-spotting a tricky prospect.

In a GM vehicle, this would be an automatic "F". You'd never hear the end of how the rear seat is impossible to get into, and how you can't see out of it, and how it is so very difficult to park.

Ditto. Worst interior ever.

I was also bemused by this little tidbit:
In a GM vehicle, this would be an automatic "F". You'd never hear the end of how the rear seat is impossible to get into, and how you can't see out of it, and how it is so very difficult to park.

[post="63842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How does someone judge the interior without touching it?

I agree the design isn't interesting or exciting looking, but I think they were going for retro truck interior, not 'newest thinking in IP design.'

I just don't get how you guys get so worked up over an Edmunds review? They never say anything too bad about anyone.

The FJ is an attempt to cash in on a beloved old iconic vehicle. Toyota isn't allowed to?

Prediction: They'll sell every one they make. eBay will have 5-10 up as soon as they're available...$2-5k ADM for first buyers in line.

It's definately a cool SUV and may even spank the H3, though the H3 has a nicer interior. I'm far from fond of that nasty interior. Toyota was going for that tough and rugged style but it could have been done better. It's not that bad. The exterior is awesome. It'll sell.

You weren't reading it when idiots like Liz Kim and Christian Wardlaw stunk up the pages...

[post="63920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Did either of them write the FJ article?

I just don't see Edmunds as that big a deal....still doesn't answer the question of whether anyone here has sat in an FJ yet. My guess is no.

I'm still not understanding the 'Toyota Sucks' thing. GM needs better product, regardless of the competition.

The FJ doesn't impress me. I never liked the design and I think the market's shift away from trucks, in general, is a good thing. That being said, I just don't get how people can judge the quality of an interior by photos. It makes no sense and leaves me with the distinct impression that people here are just looking to cast stones, rather than have an intelligent debate.

Anyone care to wager on whether this interior will be better in quality than the Canyon/Colorado?

I just don't get how people can judge the quality of an interior by photos. It makes no sense and leaves me with the distinct impression that people here are just looking to cast stones, rather than have an intelligent debate.

Quality of the interior, or Ugliness? There is a difference.

The complaints have NOTHING to do with quality of materials or craftmanship. It has to do with first impressions and "blind" media. Hell, that's the reason that I started this website in 2000, to fight the perception that everything from America (GM in particular) is crap and everything from other countries are what Americans aspire for. When I look at the interior of the FJ (and yes I have not sat in it because at press days in NYC this year the FJ was sans interior. Now I know why.) it does say 1996 S10. No matter how wonderful the fit & finish is, upon first impression, it looks horrible. What I expect from the media is honesty - "the interior is very 1980's spartan looking. While Toyota was looking for the vibe of the original, it doesn't quite stack up to other vehicles in its price range/class. Materials are... Fit and finish is..." Not just ignoring the issue because journos are afraid to write something bad about Toyota.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like it. I liked the concept and I like the production version, and I really like it in yellow, the color just seems to work for it. A decontented version starting at about $19k would be a great competitor for the Element. Where it is now, the only real competition are the Wrangler and H3, neither of which is particularly attractive or has a great looking interior.

Did either of them write the FJ article?

I just don't see Edmunds as that big a deal....still doesn't answer the question of whether anyone here has sat in an FJ yet. My guess is no.

The point is that Edmunds has an earned reputation for going out of the way to beat dead horses when it comes to domestic products. If a car is bad, its bad, but there was alot of hypocrisy in their articles five or six years ago, things like pointing out how a Park Avenue's wood trim looked chintzy and outdated and two years later when the Park dropped wood trim, they complained that its interior 'lacked warmth' and that 'where's the wood? Its a Buick.' Stuff like that. Granted, they've gotten better recently and have left out alot of the snide comments and constant bitching about how their sister's friend's boyfriend has a really crappy 1987 Sunbird.

I'm still not understanding the 'Toyota Sucks' thing. GM needs better product, regardless of the competition.

This is true, but...

The FJ doesn't impress me. I never liked the design and I think the market's shift away from trucks, in general, is a good thing. That being said, I just don't get how people can judge the quality of an interior by photos. It makes no sense and leaves me with the distinct impression that people here are just looking to cast stones, rather than have an intelligent debate.

I think people are judging design as opposed to quality. I know I am when I say the interior looks like crap. Awful looking rectangular vents and a big glob of shiny plastic in the center stack looks pretty bad, rugged-styled or not.

Anyone care to wager on whether this interior will be better in quality than the Canyon/Colorado?

[post="64215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's beside the point. Toyota is constantly held high for producing "high-quality" interiors or "interiors with hard materials that look high-quality" or something contrite like that. Whether or not the Canyon/Colorado have good interiors or not is a red herring in this situation.

The complaints have NOTHING to do with quality of materials or craftmanship.  It has to do with first impressions and "blind" media.  Hell, that's the reason that I started this website in 2000, to fight the perception that everything from America (GM in particular) is crap and everything from other countries are what Americans aspire for.

When I look at the interior of the FJ (and yes I have not sat in it because at press days in NYC this year the FJ was sans interior.  Now I know why.) it does say 1996 S10.  No matter how wonderful the fit & finish is, upon first impression, it looks horrible.

What I expect from the media is honesty - "the interior is very 1980's spartan looking.  While Toyota was looking for the vibe of the original, it doesn't quite stack up to other vehicles in its price range/class.  Materials are...  Fit and finish is..."  Not just ignoring the issue because journos are afraid to write something bad about Toyota.

[post="64249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope. Still don't get the bashing without a sit-down...

To me, the whole thing is ugly, outside and inside, but, there are certainly worse offenders out in the auto-universe. I'm assuming they were going for 60's/70's look to the interior (& failed.)

I've seen plenty of vehicles that look good from a distance and are horrible to sit in. I don't think you can hurl the invectives like those used here:

"Worst interior ever." for instance. C'mon. Sat in a Korean Suzuki recently, or a GMT800 P/U?

BTW-Why would journo's be 'afraid' to write something bad about Toyota? Are they like the Mafia or something?

"Worst interior ever." for instance. C'mon. Sat in a Korean Suzuki recently, or a GMT800 P/U?

[post="64270"][/post]

That comment was intended to be a reference to this character, who has a penchant for declaring things to be the "Worst (insert topic at hand here) ever":

Posted Image

I'm sorry if you didn't pick up that reference. I'll make an effort to never make another popculture reference ever again.

That comment was intended to be a reference to this character, who has a penchant for declaring things to be the "Worst (insert topic at hand here) ever":

Posted Image

I'm sorry if you didn't pick up that reference. I'll make an effort to never make another popculture reference ever again.

[post="64335"][/post]

The interior looks worse than shit

Trash interior

The interior looks as good as a Beretta

i totally agree. that interior is atrocious and they deserve to get raped and pillaged in the press for it.

Give me a break rolleyes.gif If GM had produced this interior Edmunds would be ripping them a new one.

This interior is pure shit. The accolades are coming in already though it looks like it was deisgned by GM's worst in the 80's. They complain about the solstice interior, but this is just wonderful.

A Toyota deisgner could drop a warm steamer on the dash and all the BS media outlets would proclaim that a pile of crap is the newest in Gen-Y styling.

OK. So perhaps I missed the pop culture reference. I certainly didn't misinterpret your 'ditto', did I?

Statements are 'clever' or 'witty' when they're correct. If the market success of the FJ is totally dependent upon this forum's opinion of how the interior looks, then I guess it's doomed. (Oh, that's sarcasm.)

[i]
Statements are 'clever' or 'witty' when they're correct. If the market success of the FJ is totally dependent upon this forum's opinion of how the interior looks, then I guess it's doomed. (Oh, that's sarcasm.)

[post="64461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But market success doesn't determine if the interior is good or bad. Just look at the vehicle you mentioned as having a worse interior, the GMT-800s. They sell over a million a year.

But market success doesn't determine if the interior is good or bad. Just look at the vehicle you mentioned as having a worse interior, the GMT-800s. They sell over a million a year.

[post="64633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was being sarcastic....and, you helped make my point for me. The criticisms mentioned throughout this post will have NO effect on this trucks success in the real world.

Just so you don't think I'm just being contrary for the sake of it, I'll give you some legitimate problems with this product:

1. Weight- It's porky at 4300lbs for a 'small' Ute
2. Pricing- It's smaller and less useful than the Xterra and the H3, as well as being much less luxurious than the H3....It's way more expensive than a Wrangler with similar abilities.
3. Timing of Intro- market's moving away from trucks...
4. No Soft -top or removable hardtop
5. 2 tone Color Scheme standard- I hate the white top. Solid colors should be available, as two-tone shouldn't be forced on the purchaser...

XO
World's Worst Poster

XO
World's Worst Poster

[post="64645"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't you mean Worst Poster EVER? :P

Agreed with those points, though. Also, I don't think anyone was really trying to infer that a lousy interior design would sink this truck, merely that it had a lousy interior design in the eyes of some.

Don't you mean Worst Poster EVER? :P

Agreed with those points, though. Also, I don't think anyone was really trying to infer that a lousy interior design would sink this truck, merely that it had a lousy interior design in the eyes of some.

[post="64659"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thats what I read. I dont think anyone said it would be a flop, just that the interior is hideous, and that if it was a GM vehicle it would have been ripped apart by the media.

Thats what I read. I dont think anyone said it would be a flop, just that the interior is hideous, and that if it was a GM vehicle it would have been ripped apart by the media.

[post="64696"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interior Quality is key - its a measuring stick, like it or not. I rarely read bad things about the layout of GM interiors. It almost always comes down to execution or quality of components. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, GM's downfall (from the media perspective) has little to do with design.

I have the privilege of driving over 50 different cars per year - all makes,models. I can remember a time or two that the design of an interior made me pause, but I can tell you that the quality of the interior, pieces and fit, are the things that catch my attention (and, I suspect, owners, since you spend alot more time using the interior of a car than looking at the exterior).

For instance, I spend my first 5 minutes with each vehicle familiarizing myself with its cockpit layout...where are all the important buttons...do they function correctly? (these are almost all used vehicles)

In a Suzuki XL-7, the layout is intuitive and simple...but the plastics are gross and the fit and finish are late-70's. So, I tend to have a negative impression. OTOH, Audi's have amazing materials and, generally, flawless fit and finish, but the layout is so complex and there are so many buttons, it takes a couple of days to adjust. For an owner, this process is probably forgotten within a week of purchase.
So, this is a design problem, in some ways, yet it rarely gets mentioned.

Statements are 'clever' or 'witty' when they're correct.

[post="64461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How can a subjective opinion on a matter such as the beauty/ugliness of a car's interior ever be "correct," other than in the mind of the writer? How do you measure the "correctness" of an opinion? Also, can you not tell the difference between a factual statement and hyperbole? Obviously, the FJ's interior is not "worse than shit" or "trash". Those words were used to drive home the strength of the writer's opinions, a sort of written exclaimation mark.

Regardless, I've had enough of this game. You're entitled to your opinions, just as I am entitled to mine. I'm taking my ball and going home, so to speak.

How can a subjective opinion on a matter such as the beauty/ugliness of a car's interior ever be "correct," other than in the mind of the writer? How do you measure the "correctness" of an opinion? Also, can you not tell the difference between a factual statement and hyperbole? Obviously, the FJ's interior is not "worse than shit" or "trash". Those words were used to drive home the strength of the writer's opinions, a sort of written exclaimation mark.   

Regardless, I've had enough of this game. You're entitled to your opinions, just as I am entitled to mine. I'm taking my ball and going home, so to speak.

[post="64752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Quick nit to pick: Why is my use of hyperbole or derogatory language regarding GM merit comment from you or your like-minded minions when you can use the above quoted language against the opposition? And, since I assume you are speaking for yourself, the statements I quoted may/may not be hyperbole, neither of us know for a fact.

Take your ball, since you don't like to play fair anyway. I realize I'm in the minority here, but that doesn't mean you get to arbitrarily change the rules.

Guest gmrebirth

Do you work for Toyota?

[post="63735"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you posess any objectivity? What I said came straight from Toyota. Toyota apparently won't even be doing any commercials for the FJ.

With that said, the interior is ugly, like most truck interiors, but from initial reviews, it seems to have good fit and finish and decent refinement.

C/D just got done panning the element in the new issue. the FJ has the same door setup and an even worse interior. still i am sure they will laud the FJ. a person i work with has been waiting to get one of these FJ's. i doubt he's seen the horrific interior. i doubt he will back out. it says toyota on the name so that excuses its horsedung interior. the h3 is far nicer. hell, the caliber or nitro or compass or whatever is nicer. chery interiors are nicer. Edited by regfootball

• 2 months later...
Interior by Fisher Price, and an exterior that resembles a child's toy. Who would want to be seen in this thing? It's a polarizing vehicle, and I think in the first few months it may have it's share of early adopters. But I don't see this thing becoming a mainstay of Toyota's lineup. It's too much of a "me too" Hummer/Jeep kiddy wannabe, without the cachet of either of those brands to get legitimacy amongst the off-road crowd, which helps to feed sales amongst the average Joe suburban consumer.

Interior by Fisher Price, and an exterior that resembles a child's toy.  Who would want to be seen in this thing? 

It's a polarizing vehicle, and I think in the first few months it may have it's share of early adopters.  But I don't see this thing becoming a mainstay of Toyota's lineup.  It's too much of a "me too" Hummer/Jeep kiddy wannabe, without the cachet of either of those brands to get legitimacy amongst the off-road crowd, which helps to feed sales amongst the average Joe suburban consumer.

[post="103986"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the pics of the interior in Toyota Trend magazine depict an interior with absolutely deplorable level of style and quality. easily the worst thing I've seen in a long long long time.

I panned the FJ Cruiser's interior design when I first saw the pics, but I have to say it looks less horrifying in person. There's something really art-deco-retro-faux-machine-age about it that's cheesy and cool at the same time. It's comparable to the H2 and Aztek's.

I panned the FJ Cruiser's interior design when I first saw the pics, but I have to say it looks less horrifying in person. There's something really art-deco-retro-faux-machine-age about it that's cheesy and cool at the same time. It's comparable to the H2 and Aztek's.

[post="104869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

don't insult my aztek