Dodge Challenger

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dodge Reprises Another Classic With 2006 Challenger Concept
Date posted: 01-04-2006

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Dodge designers say they drew on the 1970s model for inspiration but stretched the new 2006 Challenger concept and made it a "genuine four-passenger car." The rear-wheel-drive Challenger concept sits on a 116-inch wheelbase, 6 inches longer and 2 inches wider than the original.

Dodge resurrects the original Challenger "performance hood" and its twin diagonal scoops — now with functional butterfly-valve intakes — on the new concept. The front end features the signature Dodge crossbar grille and four deeply recessed headlamps. In the rear are twin-rectangle dual exhausts.

Dodge designers skipped the racing-type gas cap, hood tie-down pins, louvered backlight, and body-side striping, saying, "Such assorted bits would detract from the purity of the monochromatic body form."

The black interior draws on Dodge's current SRT cars and includes hefty seat bolsters and a floor console with a "pistol grip" shifter.

The Challenger is powered by a 6.1-liter Hemi engine that makes 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. It is mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

What this means to you: Hee-haw. Get ready, Daisy Duke. Your new ride has arrived!

This concept is much closer to the original car then the Mustang was to it's own. On top of that, the stance gives just the right amount of sportiness to the car to make it sexy-modern and retro at the same time. Something that the Mustang doesn't have.

the Challenger concept looks OK.. i like the front.. don't really like the taillights.. the interior is good.. it's a shame that even though it's on a shorter wheelbase, its longer than it's LX sister cars the 300C and Magnum.. wider too.. this thing is huge, gonna be heavy i bet

I have always liked the side crease where it bumps up over the rear wheel....it's become such a Challenger cue.

[post="70616"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

everything i read says this is gonna go into production in 2008.. that probably means 2009 model year.. it will beat the camaro by at most a few months..

best case scenario for the camaro.. the solstice went to production in 19 months.. do that for the camaro and it could be out by 3rd quarter 07.. wouldnt that be somethin.. i doubt that'll happen though

The car looks good but being so retro how long till we tire of a familiar look? The problem I also see is it is too big and too heavy. Also if they can't sell it well equipt for 25k-30K it will never sell in great numbers. Is this Chryslers new Prowler?