I need a distraction

Camino LS6

From all of the grim crap I'm dealing with.

So I thought that I'd ask a hypothetical question to get a discussion going.

What if GM were to build a really small RWD car/platform?

Something smaller than the Alpha.

Maybe Mini-sized or a touch bigger.

Can anyone come-up with some configuration ideas?

Just thought it might make a good "what if" exercise.

For something really small, I'd love to see a pure, minimalist sports car. 2 seats, open and closed versions, 2500lbs, 1.8 4cyl turbo.

A 4 passenger vehicle in RWD as small as the Mini probably wouldn't work, the packaging too compromised (which is why FWD works better for subcompacts).

I always wanted GM to enter Mini-sized market with a good solid RWD platform with a perfect 50-50 balance.

The salient features of the platform:

1. Should have a coupe, convertible, hatchback, sedan, wagon and a pickup.
  2. Should be sold in ALL the countries of the world - hence the latter two versions.
  3. Should not weigh more than 2,200 lbs for the heaviest configuration.

As for the powertrain:

1. One 1.4L HCCI engine - (no need of diesel and obviating the fuel economy of gas).
  2. Turbo (single or twin) and non-turbo versions.
  3. Power should range from 100 hp to 250 hp - the top version should be designed to cater WRC.
  4. Should have Voltec as an option.
  5. 6 speed transmissions all around with the exception for the Voltec version.
  6. AWD.

The target price should be from $6,000 - $14,000 USD (remember we are creating a true world platform). The global sales should account for about 800,000 annually. GM should use all the current design principles to cut the costs and by having economy of scales try to use modern construction methods. There should be emphasis on changing the way vehicles are constructed - such as use a crankshaft system and engine plumbing that will make replacing the engine or transmissions easy, reducing the welds, parts, etc. The cars should be customizable to create a sense of "ownership."

The cars should be sold ala "Dell" model - i.e. configure it, finance it and sell it. GM should also offer services such as insurance estimates, tire warranty, etc on the configurator by showing various options. It should be a one stop shop setup.

Now that's one hell of a recipe!

I have some serious doubts about the pricing though.

That is why I said revolutionize the way cars should be produced. Innovation in every step.

I will make lower price $8,000 instead and top of the line at $18,000. Three door hatchback with minimalistic options can be charged $8,000.

Cool! Some one else sees my viewpoint on the small car thing. I don't expect the rest of you guys to want small cars...just want you to understand why I like them.

Chris

I always wanted GM to enter Mini-sized market with a good solid RWD platform with a perfect 50-50 balance.

The salient features of the platform:

1. Should have a coupe, convertible, hatchback, sedan, wagon and a pickup.
  2. Should be sold in ALL the countries of the world - hence the latter two versions.
  3. Should not weigh more than 2,200 lbs for the heaviest configuration.

As for the powertrain:

1. One 1.4L HCCI engine - (no need of diesel and obviating the fuel economy of gas).
  2. Turbo (single or twin) and non-turbo versions.
  3. Power should range from 100 hp to 250 hp - the top version should be designed to cater WRC.
  4. Should have Voltec as an option.
  5. 6 speed transmissions all around with the exception for the Voltec version.
  6. AWD.

The target price should be from $6,000 - $14,000 USD (remember we are creating a true world platform). The global sales should account for about 800,000 annually. GM should use all the current design principles to cut the costs and by having economy of scales try to use modern construction methods. There should be emphasis on changing the way vehicles are constructed - such as use a crankshaft system and engine plumbing that will make replacing the engine or transmissions easy, reducing the welds, parts, etc. The cars should be customizable to create a sense of "ownership."

The cars should be sold ala "Dell" model - i.e. configure it, finance it and sell it. GM should also offer services such as insurance estimates, tire warranty, etc on the configurator by showing various options. It should be a one stop shop setup.

This!

May I introduce to you... the Kappa Nomad... sigh...

Yes!

Cool! Some one else sees my viewpoint on the small car thing. I don't expect the rest of you guys to want small cars...just want you to understand why I like them.

Chris

I'm not really into small cars, but they shouldn't have to be boring little penalty boxes. I should be able to admire and respect them - even if I wouldn't choose them. Just because they are small, shouldn't mean that they suck.

Time to raise the bar!

Unfortunately small cars are viewed as penalty boxes only here. As is evident from 1er and 3er prices and options - pretty much all of Europe has small cars with level of equipment comparable to their larger siblings. Yes driving wise they should not suck - dynamically small cars can be better than larger vehicles with more "tossability".

Monza was a neat little car for its time.

Just a fancy Vega. I like both.

Monzas and their H-body brethren make pretty crazy drag cars. At the Pontiac Show and Go, there were a few Monza hatches on the track with the vintage, stock Pontiacs. A 4-door six cyl stocker would have a 18 second dial in going against a 9 sec Monza. The lights would go green and the Pontiac would be more than halfway down the track when the Monza started out... it would zip down the track and steal the victory from the stocker... Crazy.