Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My Head Is Exploding

Camino LS6

I'm trying to arrange the transfer of my Silverado to the new owner and get the loan paid-off. It involves my getting someone to follow me all the way to northern Jersey to a bank branch. Meantime, I've found the perfect (I think) replacement truck (also in Jersey) that I don't want to lose. So I'm stressing bigtime over the logistics working out so that I drive into Jersey in one truck, and back out in the other.

Do the illegal thing and drive really carefully with the wrong tags.

Done it, don't like to do it but...haven't had a problem yet.

Had a friend get pulled over, he showed them the bill of sale and the cop was cool with it.

Good luck, and glad you found a new set of wheels!

Chris

Agree with stang's suggestion WRT the plates. Far too many vehicles on the road here- drive reasonably and no one will blink at you twice. In the '80s I drove a car at least an hour one day with NO plates on it. Have driven with 'ficticious' plates numerous times, and once drove a daily for 8 months with NO inspection sticker. No problems- just behave yourself.

Where in North Jersey are you heading to ??

For what it's worth...Ohio requires a front plate. Bought the Concorde in 2002 and the front plate got lost a week after I bought it. Traded the Concorde for the wife's crap box /toaster in 2005. Drove it without a front plate. Wife finally got pulled over in July of 2009 and got a verbal to get a front plate on the car.

2002 to 2009 with no front plate...don't think they pay that much attention.

Chris

Crossing the bridge makes it a bit more risky, and the roads on both sides of the river are state cop territory.

I found that new set of wheels, now let's see if I can bring them home or not.

Not feeling too patient about now.

Just be cool and you'll be cool.

Chris

>>"But it would be nice not to have to do it that way."<<

Again- don't sweat it.

-- -- -- -- --

EX 9 is RIGHT by me (10 minutes away). Don't know that that is a possible help or not, but taking my unknown future schedule into account, hit me up if I can provide any assistance.

Or perhaps you have 30 spare minutes for a sidetrip to see a dusty, forgotten B-59 project....

>>"But it would be nice not to have to do it that way."<<

Again- don't sweat it.

-- -- -- -- --

EX 9 is RIGHT by me (10 minutes away). Don't know that that is a possible help or not, but taking my unknown future schedule into account, hit me up if I can provide any assistance.

Or perhaps you have 30 spare minutes for a sidetrip to see a dusty, forgotten B-59 project....

I'd love to do that!

I'll let you know once I have the date/time nailed down.

Wish that guy would call me back...

Do the illegal thing and drive really carefully with the wrong tags.

Done it, don't like to do it but...haven't had a problem yet.

Had a friend get pulled over, he showed them the bill of sale and the cop was cool with it.

Good luck, and glad you found a new set of wheels!

Chris

Also agree with 66 on this one....

Yeah, I've been there before.

But it would be nice not to have to do it that way.

WTH is Jersey thinking?

Well, Jersey does have temp tags, just not ones a non-dealer can get, IIRC.

Recently, my car has been targeted by the NYPD due to the old school blue NJ tags. In NY, (as noted in other threads), everyone must have the same plate base... and cops are tuned to that, so my old school NJ tags look like a violation until they realize my paperwork is in order.

While talking to the last few cops, they revealed that they can't validate my plate due to it being out of state. So, I would think that the same goes between NJ and PA. A PA plate is not likely to be validatable from a NJ cop... unless you do something spectacular enough to get pulled over.

The fact that it's so different in every state is another one of those "huh?"

I got used to the DE system of the plate goes with the car, and every time you get a new vehicle that wasn't already plated (or was and they kept it), you got a DE cardboard temp tag. They last a while. Depending on how long the title work takes, that's a good thing. On the other hand, you can't just get a temporary if, say, buying a car out of state...you have to get it back to DE, then do it all. So in my father's case buying a Chevelle from Jersey years ago--and many cars before that--yep, tags from an old/current vehicle just on to not attract attention, and a careful cruise home. Not recommended, but after seeing what went on in that case with the DE DMV, yes/no/yes/no we can't/etc. for weeks, it was the simplest way in the end.

I bought my G8 new in Jersey and, however odd to me, no anything..."we just put a dealer ad plate on the bag and this registration in the back window". Okay. Drove home with no plates, just an advertisement one and the window registration. Again, weird...and weirder depending on the state. Still with no registration, I didn't like driving around DE with dealer ad tags from Jersey, so I put my old plate that was being transferred, on it by day 2 and that was that...no issues until papers came.

Good luck with this, but really, using old tags seems to be about the only answer in this case unless you can go through whatever the "proper" rigmarole is, something we've yet figured out. My father is 110% by the book with these things, yet after so many calls, so many DMV visits, etc. it was the only answer he could come to.

1) Drop the truck off/meet at bank.

2) Get a ride from there? Take the plates from it with you?

3) Pick up new ride, pay, put old truck's tags on and go...carefully.

4) Back in PA, do all the papers, taxes, etc.

Need a ride or such? Someone here could probably assist...