Toyota: Suicide and Depression at the World's

mustang84

This article is a little over a year old, but it sheds some light into the side of Toyota that is never published. How does the world's most profitable automaker get away with lowering wages after age 51, refusing overtime pay, hiring as few workers as possible while increasing cash reserves (causing higher work-related injuries and suicide rates), and underpaying taxes? I found this quote especially interesting:

Toyota has always suffused the workplace with a crisis consciousness in order to suppress wages. While I was working there, managers would regularly address the daily morning assembly, warning that Nissan was catching up, we've got to penetrate the American market, GM is powerful, don't let us end up like Mitsubishi. Toyota used this kind of manipulation to keep wages at average levels and to steadily increase its internal cash reserves.

ZNet

I'm not surprised. For Toyota to make its big profits, it has to keep the overhead as low as possible. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're skimping on R&D for vehicle prototypes as well (compared to, say, 10 years ago), just to get them to market faster and spend less money with the engineers.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, suicide is very common in Japan. Often, they literally work themselves to death.

That's why I'm proud to be an American.. I can get a good job, education, and still find entertainment in life rather than killing myself over my stressful life.

If life gets that stressful, take a chill pill and call into work a few days. That won't kill ya..

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, suicide is very common in Japan. Often, they literally work themselves to death.

I've read that the US has now passed Japan in total hrs worked per year... some industries are esp. heavy on the OT... software, for example... my project manager and other managers in my company averaged about 3000 hrs last year (I was slacking, only had 2300 hrs for the year).

Americans work harder than almost any country. Germany is where you want to work.  I think they have a mandatory 6 weeks vacation per year.

6 weeks.....and the Autobahn??? :huh:

Not fair!!    :lol:

Yeah, 6 weeks seems pretty much the norm in Western Europe...and 35 hr work weeks in some professions... in the US I've gotten used to 50 hr weeks and 3 weeks of vacation, but I'd love to have 6 weeks.

This article is a little over a year old, but it sheds some light into the side of Toyota that is never published.  How does the world's most profitable automaker get away with lowering wages after age 51, refusing overtime pay, hiring as few workers as possible while increasing cash reserves (causing higher work-related injuries and suicide rates), and underpaying taxes?  I found this quote especially interesting:

ZNet

Actually for the morning assembly thing, they do in all these Japanese companies. They so call it "morale-boosting". I've heard of stories that they assemble all the employees on roofs of buildings and force them to yell slogans and stuff before work.

Yes, they're wierd.

Actually for the morning assembly thing, they do in all these Japanese companies. They so call it "morale-boosting". I've heard of stories that they assemble all the employees on roofs of buildings and force them to yell slogans and stuff before work.

Yes, they're wierd.

Interesting... I've heard about that practice also...rah rah! My company's morale-building exercise is team drinking (less so now that it used to be as people have gotten older and some have gotten married and had kids)...but a few years ago, it was the norm for at least 60% of the company (small company) to go to a local pub several nights a week for 3-4 hrs a night after work..

And that's one of the ways it'll be covered up...

"Cultural differences"

Oh, call off your dogs, FOG... They're getting lame and tired.

Japan is a very different culture than the American or Canadian cultures. It is blatantly obvious to the casual observer, let along the big, bad, boogeyman press. If you don't believe me, follow this link for examples:

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

Japan is a very different culture than the American or Canadian cultures. It is blatantly obvious to the casual observer, let along the big, bad, boogeyman press. If you don't believe me, follow this link for examples:

I never meant to insult you... Merely use your post as an example. That sort of 'expected' thinking and comment is what I was getting at.

And; I haven't said a word about the press in this thread, nor did I dispute anything you said.

Else end up like Mitsubishi? I'd off myself, too...in a Hara-Kamry

LOL :P

All joking aside this even surprises me. Wow.... Mustang84: you have just put the proverbial last straw on the Camel's back. That's it. I've always thouht it was a scumbag company but I will NEVER buy a Toyota now... not even that used POS RWD Celica I always wanted to stuff a mega-V8 into.

The higher the horse.... <_< the harder the fall.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Toyota...I view them as a builder of quality, reliable but souless cars that have good resale value.

I can't see myself owning a Toyota, but I could see myself content with a Lexus GS430.

Guest gmrebirth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Careful, you better watch out, or the regulars here will label you as Pro-Toyota and an anti-GM troll, because you stand in their way of making Toyota look like the devil.

I never meant to insult you... Merely use your post as an example. That sort of 'expected' thinking and comment is what I was getting at.

And; I haven't said a word about the press in this thread, nor did I dispute anything you said.

Well, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. My understanding was that you were saying the fact that Japanese culture is different is nothing more than an excuse. I disagree. That is all.

and you know that how?

got any facts to back it up?

Click the following link:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/preventio...uiciderates/en/

Careful, you better watch out, or the regulars here will label you as Pro-Toyota and an anti-GM troll, because you stand in their way of making Toyota look like the devil.

I'm not too worried about it. I am a regular; I've been here for 4-5 years now.

Guest gmrebirth

I feel I should post my thoughts on this, that I find this article very suspect.

First off, he claims Toyota has 65,000 employees, yet if you look here

http://www.detnews.com/2005/specialreport/...3/A01-87977.htm , you can see Toyota' worldwide employment is much, much higher.

Also this has been all over the press, is the fact that Toyota is suffering from a shortage of workers. It's product development teams are maxed out right now, and they are bringing many experienced workers out of retirement.

If Toyota is in need of skilled and experienced workers specifically, then why introduce a wage system that negatively impacts those old and skilled workers? Also, the concept of temporary workers makes no sense. Temporary workers would not be getting the same skills and experience as permanent workers, and since skilled workers are in such high demand, it would be foolish for Toyota to relying on so many temporary workers. Also there is the fact that Japan's population is aging, and there aren't that many new workers or engineers available. Toyota may be using temporary or contractual workers due to it's labour shortage, but as a replacement for it's permanent workers, I doubt it.

And is Toyota is keeping wages at average levels, why is that so bad? Toyota is here to make money, like any other company. If GM or Ford had the chance to pay average (market value) wages, they would do so in a second. They can't because they are limited to UAW contracts. Also, overworking is a cultural problem in Japan, it's not just a Toyota problem. Japanese people work very hard, because it's in their culture.

Well, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. My understanding was that you were saying the fact that Japanese culture is different is nothing more than an excuse. I disagree. That is all.

Click the following link:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/preventio...uiciderates/en/

I'm not too worried about it. I am a regular; I've been here for 4-5 years now.

well, they still trail Estonia and Hungary!

... Toyota may be using temporary or contractual workers due to it's labour shortage, but as a replacement for it's permanent workers, I doubt it.

Hicks has spent four years as a temp worker building cars for Toyota Motor Corp., making manifolds and dashboards for Camrys, Avalons and Solaras sold all over the United States. He works alongside full-fledged Toyota employees who earn twice his salary, plus health and retirement benefits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Oct10.html

The company won’t release statistics on its use of temps, but TMMK workers estimate there are more than 1,000 temporary workers, out of a total workforce of about 5,500 production and maintenance workers.

“I’ve become friends with a lot of the temporary guys,” says John Hall, who has worked at TMMK 14 years. One employee, he recalls, finally got a chance to apply for a permanent job after five years as a temp. “But when he went to take his physical, they told him he had carpal tunnel and they couldn’t hire him. They used him for five years and kicked him to the curb.”

Carpal tunnel syndrome, caused by repetitive motion, is a common occurrence at Toyota. Part of the problem, says Hall, is workers are discouraged from reporting injuries.

http://www.uaw.org/solidarity/05/1205/feature03.cfm

The use of temporary workers appears to be most pervasive in plants owned by foreign companies, which tend to locate in states where laws make union organizing difficult, said Susan N. Houseman, a researcher at the independent W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in Kalamazoo, Mich. One Japanese auto parts plant estimated that a 5 percentage point reduction in the share of temps in the workforce would increase total labor costs by $1 million over a year, an Upjohn study found.

http://uawlocal14.org/News/Archive%20Natio...rmanentJobs.htm

Guest gmrebirth

^^^

Thanks for that info, very interesting.

Looks like Toyota isn't the only one with such a problem, BMW seems to be using quite a few temp workers themselves.

I wonder how many temp workers the Big 3 use.

This certainly appears to be an industry-wide problem. Are competitive pressures forcing companies to do this?