mustang84

Toyota: Suicide and Depression at the World's

32 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

This article is a little over a year old, but it sheds some light into the side of Toyota that is never published. How does the world's most profitable automaker get away with lowering wages after age 51, refusing overtime pay, hiring as few workers as possible while increasing cash reserves (causing higher work-related injuries and suicide rates), and underpaying taxes? I found this quote especially interesting:

Toyota has always suffused the workplace with a crisis consciousness in order to suppress wages. While I was working there, managers would regularly address the daily morning assembly, warning that Nissan was catching up, we've got to penetrate the American market, GM is powerful, don't let us end up like Mitsubishi. Toyota used this kind of manipulation to keep wages at average levels and to steadily increase its internal cash reserves.

ZNet

siegen    20

I'm not surprised. For Toyota to make its big profits, it has to keep the overhead as low as possible. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're skimping on R&D for vehicle prototypes as well (compared to, say, 10 years ago), just to get them to market faster and spend less money with the engineers.

Petra    0

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, suicide is very common in Japan. Often, they literally work themselves to death.

NOS2006    11

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Unfortunately, suicide is very common in Japan. Often, they literally work themselves to death.

That's why I'm proud to be an American.. I can get a good job, education, and still find entertainment in life rather than killing myself over my stressful life.

If life gets that stressful, take a chill pill and call into work a few days. That won't kill ya..

I've read that the US has now passed Japan in total hrs worked per year... some industries are esp. heavy on the OT... software, for example... my project manager and other managers in my company averaged about 3000 hrs last year (I was slacking, only had 2300 hrs for the year).

Americans work harder than almost any country. Germany is where you want to work.  I think they have a mandatory 6 weeks vacation per year.

6 weeks.....and the Autobahn??? :huh:

Not fair!!    :lol:

Yeah, 6 weeks seems pretty much the norm in Western Europe...and 35 hr work weeks in some professions... in the US I've gotten used to 50 hr weeks and 3 weeks of vacation, but I'd love to have 6 weeks.

FUTURE_OF_GM    26

And that's one of the ways it'll be covered up...

"Cultural differences"

Dsuupr    12

Oh! But how CAN IT BE! Toyota is the heavenly corporation that came to redeem the world of the Evil Detriot Three!

So well put!

BrewSwillis    0

Perhpas it changes from year to year, but recently Dentistry was the profession with the highest suicided rate in the United States.

I think air traffic controller is also pretty close to the top of that list.

This article is a little over a year old, but it sheds some light into the side of Toyota that is never published.  How does the world's most profitable automaker get away with lowering wages after age 51, refusing overtime pay, hiring as few workers as possible while increasing cash reserves (causing higher work-related injuries and suicide rates), and underpaying taxes?  I found this quote especially interesting:

ZNet

Actually for the morning assembly thing, they do in all these Japanese companies. They so call it "morale-boosting". I've heard of stories that they assemble all the employees on roofs of buildings and force them to yell slogans and stuff before work.

Yes, they're wierd.

Actually for the morning assembly thing, they do in all these Japanese companies. They so call it "morale-boosting". I've heard of stories that they assemble all the employees on roofs of buildings and force them to yell slogans and stuff before work.

Yes, they're wierd.

Interesting... I've heard about that practice also...rah rah! My company's morale-building exercise is team drinking (less so now that it used to be as people have gotten older and some have gotten married and had kids)...but a few years ago, it was the norm for at least 60% of the company (small company) to go to a local pub several nights a week for 3-4 hrs a night after work..

Petra    0

And that's one of the ways it'll be covered up...

"Cultural differences"

Oh, call off your dogs, FOG... They're getting lame and tired.

Japan is a very different culture than the American or Canadian cultures. It is blatantly obvious to the casual observer, let along the big, bad, boogeyman press. If you don't believe me, follow this link for examples:

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

FUTURE_OF_GM    26

Oh, call off your dogs, FOG... They're getting lame and tired.

Japan is a very different culture than the American or Canadian cultures. It is blatantly obvious to the casual observer, let along the big, bad, boogeyman press. If you don't believe me, follow this link for examples:

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

I never meant to insult you... Merely use your post as an example. That sort of 'expected' thinking and comment is what I was getting at.

And; I haven't said a word about the press in this thread, nor did I dispute anything you said.

Else end up like Mitsubishi? I'd off myself, too...in a Hara-Kamry

LOL :P

All joking aside this even surprises me. Wow.... Mustang84: you have just put the proverbial last straw on the Camel's back. That's it. I've always thouht it was a scumbag company but I will NEVER buy a Toyota now... not even that used POS RWD Celica I always wanted to stuff a mega-V8 into.

The higher the horse.... <_< the harder the fall.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Toyota...I view them as a builder of quality, reliable but souless cars that have good resale value.

I can't see myself owning a Toyota, but I could see myself content with a Lexus GS430.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.