GMTruckGuy74

Vintage Promo 1/25 scale Pontiac Buick Dealership Sign

41 posts in this topic

See attached picture.

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Promo-1-25-scale-Pontiac-Buick-Dealership-Sign_W0QQitemZ110480581330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b927e2d2

Very cool and would be a nice addition to my curio display, but it's already priced way out of my range. Back in 1990 I attempted to buy a chevrolet dealership sign like this from ick Kranz promo's and he stated his were from the '70s or early '80s - he sold the last one before my check arrived (oh boy, the days of bying before eBay, Paypal, etc). This Buick-Pontiac sign is the first I've seen outside of the Chevy one 20 years ago.

Nowto find a GMC one!!

post-418-1263688330852.jpg

That would be very cool to display w/ my vintage 1:25th kits and promos. I've never seen one of those.

Based on the Pontiac font I'd say it was from before the EXCITEMENT!!!! era

ANyone know when this style of dealer sign came out ? Late '70s... or later ?

Based on the Pontiac font I'd say it was from before the EXCITEMENT!!!! era

1969 is the answer you're looking for. How do I know this? Look below:

In September, 1969, General Motors implemented a plan of standardizing the look of GM dealerships. The "Signs Of Leadership" are shown here. In fact the signs you are viewing are 1:25th scale models that were made and distributed around this time. They were often seen on salesmen's' desks. Today they go great with scale model dioramas and promo car collections but aren't easily found.

70MgmSN.jpg

Link to site with info

I've been very intrigued by this eBay find, seeing as how this is the first time in literally 20 years since I encountered my first one of these (a Chevy one at that). I did an internet search and the information above is what was posted on a web site. Maybe I better ask the wife for my 2010 birthday money now :lol:

That was a very pricey auction... the final winning bid was $242.48!! I wish I knew who the manufacturer was in order to do some more research on those signs.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Found this one on eBay, though it's part of mini-brochure stand and is one-sided:

eBay link

I wonder how much the reserve is, and how much it will sell for?

post-418-12642123257967.jpg

These might turn up at the big national level model car swap meets/shows, like the NNL East in Parsippany, NJ in the Spring, the Toledo NNL/Toledo Collectors Toy Fair in Toledo, Ohio in the Fall, or the NNL West in San Jose in the winter. Anything and everything 1:24/1:25th scale as far as plastic models, promo models, etc turns up at these events...I've been to the Toledo one several times when I lived in Ohio/Michigan, and to the San Jose one a few times.

I think about the only time I've seen these before was in a black & white pictured article in Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine over 20 years ago.

Parsippany, NJ huh! Well, that is pretty much north from where I live, but is doable. If you have any info or a link to the show's site, I'd be appreciative!!

Those Buick/Opel signs take me back to childhood we had a few Opels at that time Rekords rekord59.jpg

and Kadett

1962_opel_kadett_modell_a_500_375_dpa.jpg

The later GT's and Manta's were quite handsome

Nice signs, and if I was wealthy, I would bid on them (and please don't ask me to make you an offer, because you surely would be insulted at what I could afford :P ).

The Terex sign is a new one to me, in that I never heard of GM and Terex together (being a truck & tractor enthusiast, I am aware of the Terex brand but never gave it any effort to research the history of the company). Thanks to wikipedia, I now understand what happened to Euclid and know about Terex. And while at first I could care less about the Terex sign, now all of a sudden I want that too (I'm dying to find a GMC Truck dealership sign, you wouldn;t have one of those on the affordable side, would ya?) :lol:

Nice signs, and if I was wealthy, I would bid on them (and please don't ask me to make you an offer, because you surely would be insulted at what I could afford :P ).

The Terex sign is a new one to me, in that I never heard of GM and Terex together (being a truck & tractor enthusiast, I am aware of the Terex brand but never gave it any effort to research the history of the company). Thanks to wikipedia, I now understand what happened to Euclid and know about Terex. And while at first I could care less about the Terex sign, now all of a sudden I want that too (I'm dying to find a GMC Truck dealership sign, you wouldn;t have one of those on the affordable side, would ya?) :lol:

I remember Euclid and Terex from when I lived in NE Ohio in the late '80s-early '90s..drove by the plant in Hudson many times. Those miniature dealership signs are pretty cool.

I remember Euclid and Terex from when I lived in NE Ohio in the late '80s-early '90s..drove by the plant in Hudson many times. Those miniature dealership signs are pretty cool.

Any pictures, perhaps?

Any pictures, perhaps?

Nah...too long ago..I was in college then and used to go through the Hudson area often.

Sorry, I don't have a GMC sign, but glad that you guys like the signs! I threw a price on them for ebay just to post it and see what kind of attention they would get. Kind of show them off and get some excitement. I will probably run a standard auction soon and let the market dictate their value. This way every enthusiast that may want to own them can be involved. Will probably sell them separate too.

Sorry, I don't have a GMC sign, but glad that you guys like the signs! I threw a price on them for ebay just to post it and see what kind of attention they would get. Kind of show them off and get some excitement. I will probably run a standard auction soon and let the market dictate their value. This way every enthusiast that may want to own them can be involved. Will probably sell them separate too.

Cool! Definitely make a post in here when you do that, maybe I'll see what I can do to purchase the Pontiac and/or Terex signs, depending on how quickly I get out-bid!! I'd love to have all three honestly, and find all the others, but funds are very limited right now and these guilty pleasure items just don't take top spot (especially in the wife's eyes :P ).

Cool! Definitely make a post in here when you do that, maybe I'll see what I can do to purchase the Pontiac and/or Terex signs, depending on how quickly I get out-bid!! I'd love to have all three honestly, and find all the others, but funds are very limited right now and these guilty pleasure items just don't take top spot (especially in the wife's eyes :P ).

Here ya go guys, running a straight auction starting at .99 for each of the 3 signs! Will be interesting to see what happens with these.

post-11167-0-59385000-1296188414.jpgpost-11167-0-37987300-1296188396.jpgpost-11167-0-49430200-1296188382.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524224695#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524225843#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330524220688#ht_500wt_1156

I know that I am! :)

IMG_20110205_110243.jpg

IMG_20110205_110221.jpg

These signs are much bigger/taller than I was expecting. They won't fit into my curio cabinet with the rest of my diecast collection, so I had to put them in my wife's taller curio in the dining room for now (she's not thrilled!).

Now to find GMC Trucks, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Buick/Opel, and Chevrolet. Well, once I find more money!! :lol:

Yes the auctions for the signs went well. I am glad that they will be appreciated in your collection! Sorry they are a little too tall for your display cabinet. I had noticed when passing my local GMC Buick and Chevrolet dealership that the base of the sign is shaped exactly like the Gray painted solid brass base of the Terex sign. Still the standard all these years later. What scale die cast cars do you collect? I collect the 1:18 scale GMP, Exoto and Lane. I enjoy and appreciate the detail and quality of those models, my absolute favorite are the 67 or 68 Pontiac Firebirds.

So, are you happy with the outcome of the auctions?

LOL, I'm glad you got the Pontiac sign, GMTG. Had I been in better shape financially, I would have bid that into the stratosphere.

Once I'm back on more solid ground, I may have to make you some outrageous offers on it later. ;-) I have quite a few 1/24 and 1/25 scale Pontiacs that need a dealership sign to park at. ;-)

Automobiaman, you had some other interesting auctions going on. Those Camaro promos where pretty interesting... I was surprised the Geo ones didn't even get a single bid... they will be hard to find one day (like the '60s fullsize Pontiac promos are today).

Do you sell a lot of promos? You should probably let us know when you do. Also, I'd take photos of at least one promo, as I was very curious what level of detail they would be at.

Yes I have many more promo cars and trucks to sell. All GM and all from 80's and 90's. Just trying to thin out the collection, make it a bit leaner and focus on die cast and less plastic. Sorry, I didn't show any pics of the actual un-boxed cars but I figured just about anybody interested in them would know what they were. I have a nice collection of corvette promos I am going to put up for auction soon. Wish those Geo's would have got some kind of interest, but the market just isn't there I guess. Stay tuned!

LOL, I'm glad you got the Pontiac sign, GMTG. Had I been in better shape financially, I would have bid that into the stratosphere.

Once I'm back on more solid ground, I may have to make you some outrageous offers on it later. ;-) I have quite a few 1/24 and 1/25 scale Pontiacs that need a dealership sign to park at. ;-)

Automobiaman, you had some other interesting auctions going on. Those Camaro promos where pretty interesting... I was surprised the Geo ones didn't even get a single bid... they will be hard to find one day (like the '60s fullsize Pontiac promos are today).

Do you sell a lot of promos? You should probably let us know when you do. Also, I'd take photos of at least one promo, as I was very curious what level of detail they would be at.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead