I need a storage garage in SE PA...hmm...for...

In our realm of cars...I have to say this...

The absolute, positively, BEST $1,000 any of us have ever spent was for the '96 Subaru Legacy L 2.2L wagon with 190k or so miles now. Simply incredible. Not a single problem or repair yet, other than the dent repair & trim sprucing up, and yesterday amidst all the hard, deep snow that had our other cars spinning when dug out, it just...chirp, chirp, chirp...rollin'. Not a slip. Just goes.

Maybe I should get an Outback...I do like the new '10s...even though the regular Legacy's are hideous...

That and a Solstice. Yeah. :retard:

Now that my electricity is back, it's all coming into "view".

1) Sell the G8...and everything with it...err, the G8 and then the expensive mods separately, yeah.

2) Buy a Solstice on the cheap, accessorized up, so I still have a last Pontiac that's a blast. GXP so I have some 5 second juice.

3) Lease a new '10 Outback 3.6R wagon. Cool looks, I can get places, 3.6L power, AWD, pretty good MPG's, etc., etc.

Now, tell me how crazy I am. But seriously, this is what I'm thinking today. I love the G8 like my arm, but just having "those days" more and more and it isn't really all snow related. Just things I've come to think about over the past year or so.

Craziness, I tell you, but...

Rawr. Subies love snow...

IMG_3450.JPG

I've driven a WRX, and the improvements they made for '09 are quite nice. For $25K, you get something tough, utilitarian, all-weather capable, economical, and more importantly, a blast to drive. Surprisingly comfortable, too.

Or how about keep the G8, and find a used turbo 'Rex?

Here's the thing. I love the G8. The problem is it's not cheap, per month or otherwise, it's not exactly efficient, and it has its own fair share of idiosyncrasies that keep it needing a little extra care and/or annoying me. That said, well, other than suspension, nothing has ever really needed fixed. I just want to keep on modding it...

I don't know. Just having one of those moments. As anything, it's like my Fleetwood. I'd love to have it with 3 other things, but can't. It drives me as batty as it makes me smile. So, you know.

The retired friend who had a matching G8 GT that I was going to assume the lease of transferred it to his son in law, basically to go down to 1 shared Lexus with his wife, and in 3 days went out & bought himself a new '10 Jeep Wrangler "makes me feel young, it's fun". He works for a Ford dealer, still, and many times has told me "2 year lease...do it" and was assisting with some Ford ideas. Then when I said "Outback" he told me I'd get bored and to look at an STI...all year round, AWD, but 300+ horsepower. Heh.

I still want a Solstice. And I need something for a DD, I don't know. I'm a lot of I don't knows. Then again, the car emails between Roger & I alone are even more like that. Just wait till we end up at the same GM dealer together, perhaps, in days to come...hah :AH-HA:

Edited by caddycruiser

Don't you wish you had a rich uncle that owned a car dealership and he allowed you to 'borrow' whatever vehicle you wanted at any time? I know I do :lol:

My Auto ADD was in high gear last Wednesday night at the 2010 Philly Auto Show. Ultimately, the #1 vehicle choice (reality-based) was the GMC Terrain, though my wife had to pry me out of the silver Sierra SLT Crew Cab Z71 4WD (my dream truck)!! Of course when in Buick, I really fell in love with the new 2011 Regal they had on display (the wife liked the Regal, but still wants a new 2010 LaCrosse). In Chevy I was drawn to the 2010 Colorado LT Crew Cab Z71 4WD in fire engine red. Caddy had me lovin' the new SRX, but the CTS Sport Wagon was my vehicle of choice. And I'm leaving out the non-GM manufacturers (I really like those Jeep Wranglers!!). So yeah, if I had $30-$35k to make a purchase right now, I'd be second guessing my choice as I liked a lot of things that night!

As for used, I am drawn to impractical vehicles. Derek knows how much I want that '08 Envoy SLT, and it's not the most efficient choice for a daily driver but I'm drawn to it. And then there's the 2004 CHevy SSR in silver with black leather and well-optioned at a local Chevy dealer. With two children already and another on the way, a two-seater sport truck/roadster is definitely not the best choice now (but I still want it :neenerneener: ). Outside of the used Envoy, I'm not sure what other newer-used vehicle I would want to buy that would be practical for family needs and satisfy my automotive cravings.

Derek, I feel for you!! I know how hard it is wanting so many things and not knowing what choice to make :lol:

Exactly, Roger, exactly. It's another reason why my dealership friends have, however, recommended "no...you'd just try to buy something every week" when I entertained the thought of being dealership staff years back. I just need that connection, yes :AH-HA:

TG today, there was no way the G8 could even make it out of the development without getting damaged despite the street "looking" clear, for 2 Ford's picking me up & bringing me home. F-150 super crew to work, on quite a treacherous course if I've ever seen one and the '10 Escape XLT AWD coming home...this morning now I wanted a pickup. I pictured myself driving a new Sierra, hah! Wow, I even have more of that Roger GMC bug now...

Then by the drive home in the Escape that I find more and more enjoyable every time, I was back on the Terrain wagon. Maybe I just need to get a good 361 horse blast down the road in the G8 to set me straight...but god knows...can't even move it until certain ice mounds & ruts are more gone, or I'll be shedding pieces of 40 series tires and a low front fascia down the road.

That Solstice on Blizzaks again sounds intriguing, too. Then an Acura MDX. Seriously, just all over the place. Finally looking good for a clear weekend, and if so, papa's going shopping. Finally. I hope.

Owner of our dealership called us closed yesterday afternoon in anticipation of this new giant snowstorm, so guess what I'll be doing for a good part of the day? Building & Pricing a large part of the known automotive universe.:AH-HA:

• Agree 1

Owner of our dealership called us closed yesterday afternoon in anticipation of this new giant snowstorm, so guess what I'll be doing for a good part of the day? Building & Pricing a large part of the known automotive universe.:AH-HA:

Hah! I did that...mmm...Monday...while I was working...mostly... :AH-HA:

Usually I'm as indecisive on the build sites as I am in real time like this thread, knowing WTH I want or don't...

After days in an F-150, an Escape, and today the Subaru, I had a big time URGE to get back in the G8 and have at it but it's still too torn up in spots...

New thought I had the other day when chatting with the guy who bought my Fleetwood & had owned several? A Porsche Cayenne. Yeah, THERE I go...mmm...used/CPO Porsche's seem to have a pretty good reliability rep but I know very little about recent models...but what a combo everything in one, there :yes:

Round and round we go.

Edited by caddycruiser

New thought I had the other day when chatting with the guy who bought my Fleetwood & had owned several? A Porsche Cayenne. Yeah, THERE I go...mmm...used/CPO Porsche's seem to have a pretty good reliability rep but I know very little about recent models...but what a combo everything in one, there :yes:

TBSS? The poor man's Cayenne? :P

I was going to suggest Touareg - 11+ in ground clearance with air suspension, locking rear diff, low range - but its fun level is nowhere near the G8's or Cayenne's.

TBSS? The poor man's Cayenne? :P

I was going to suggest Touareg - 11+ in ground clearance with air suspension, locking rear diff, low range - but its fun level is nowhere near the G8's or Cayenne's.

Yes. Looked at some TB SS's...like the idea of an LS2 powered AWD something...even if the interior is disgusting and, well, it's another hi po low profile tire'd, etc. beast. I think I'd probably do a Saab 9-7X GMT-360 before I could a TB SS...hey...wait...they made a handful of LS2 "Aero" 9-7X's at some point too...oooh...THERE's an idea...could even still have it Chevy dealer serviced :blush:

EDIT...OOOHH...TBSS drivetrain with the more polished Saab'd bits and rear air ride...even the TB SS's wheels...and LS2...

2009-saab-9-7x-6_460x0w.jpg

And they devalue like crazy. APB: Find me a 9-7X Aero guys!

Edited by caddycruiser

Okay, the ADD isn't all just my doing... :AH-HA:

Took a break from work to look up some 9-7X Aero's. NICE. In the course of doing so, got an email from my Jersey dealer asking if I'd finally be up to check out the Solstice after 3 failed trip attempts. Yes. And to check out the Envoy for Roger...perhaps...

While doing this, browsed around at other random things and sent a quote request off for a leftover '09 Avalanche in VA. That turned into the home phone ringing 3x and an overenthusiastic sales guy getting excited when I said "yes" about qualifying for every incentive he went down a list reading, and would call right back. Did so gave me nice #'s, then intrigued I saw another $2k special offer on GM.com for Pontiac/Saturn owner's to "stay in the family". Literally would end up being about $7500 in rebates alone, before discount, on a loaded Avalanche...mmm...even equipped like I'd spec on, odd & all.

So yeah, now I'm on that. Today is 9-7X, Solstice, and a killer loaded Avalanche deal that's realistic like my G8 was realistic last year...an Avalanche would certainly check off a lot of boxes...except for zoom-zoom. Then again, between the Avalanche & Suburban 5.3L we had before, I never once felt either was lacking any kind of oomph and were pretty fun...

Yes. This thread literally did just go from a mini roadster or coupe to a full size gargantuan SUV/trucklet. Hah.

If you think your Auto ADD is in high gear, you're not the only one!! You got me started with that awesome 2008 GMC Envoy SLT (perfect in almost every way), and the Philly Auto Show gave me a few more ideas to explore...

2009 Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab Z71 4WD:

I'm looking at two different CPO '09s - one blue, one black, similar mileage, equipped the same way, difference in mileage & price:

C02557P(7).jpg

- 12,4xx miles, $24k selling price

953_p2_l.jpg

- 10,7xx miles, $23k selling price

*At the 2010 Philly Auto Show last week, there were two 2010 GMT-355's on display that caught my eye and I haven't been able to shake them from my head - a fire red Colorado & an orange Canyon - both Z71, 4WD, Crew Cab models. I decided to see what CPO 2009 models were available; no GMCs equipped the way I want (all have the Z85 suspension & not the Z71 off-road), and these two local Colorado's popped up.

There is also this...

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT 4WD:

FS_3GNFK16TX4G341359_1.jpg

- 51,8xx miles, fully loaded, $17k selling price *BUT, check the CarFax Report (if you care) at this website http://gmc.flemington.com/preowned/dsp_viewcar.cfm?vin=3GNFK16TX4G341359 - there's a discrepency with the mileage; should I forget about this SUV? The wife actually likes this one the best and told me to check it out.

Of course here's the cause of it all...

2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD:

1GKDT13S982258744~4.jpg

- Perfect color, rims, & option content; 22,5xx miles, $25k selling price, great report status, plus is this is at Derek's selling dealership, perect size family hauler (I know it will fit in the garage, compared to the Suburban above).

Of course way off course is this next one (dreaming, of course). It is my choice for a "fun vehicle", if I were in Derek's shoes...

2004 Chevrolet SSR LS roadster:

1308_p20_l.jpg

- 19,9xx miles, $21k selling price, would be a cool warm weather daily driver!! Totally out of the running, 2-seats does not = a great family vehicle!!

*I'd like YOUR opinion/advise/insight on my choices above - sans the SSR, that's only a dream! - before my Auto ADD makes me do something!!

(BTW, anyone looking for a really nice '96 Caddy FWB? If I move on any of these trucks, the Caddy will need to go to a new home!)

Roger...generalized vs. on those specific ones...but hopefully helps :AH-HA:

1) Colorado/Canyon, essentially new...a choice I think hearkens back to your beloved Sonoma days, but in the more modern equivalent. Efficient/peppy 5-cyl but certainly no powerhouse, decent space as a crew cab but no SUV but also a real truck with a real bed. Could work as a "the family fits...dad" vehicle, if you have another main vehicle that fits everyone & everything more regularly. Great daily with truck bed capability, IF you want that, and depending on if you covered it or not. Otherwise, a little small and/or cramped for a full family more regularly, but a great looking smaller truck choice. I like 'em, I'd recommend one to you, but the space/cargo arrangement issues could be a biggie. Lower the price, lower the miles & CPO, the better.

2) Suburban. GMT-800, I always, always recommend. Had 2 in the family, loved them. Typical things like clunky steering shafts after a couple years, but otherwise pretty simple as long as they don't have the electro Autoride suspension, etc. Roomy, comfortable as a living room with great firm seats, simple materials & style but easy to use & durable. Typical 5.3L/4-spd is VERY peppy in this gen & gets nice mileage cruising. Downfalls is the newest of this gen are now several years old, miles are building, and though that really doesn't mean much, years+miles equal a little more maintenance for anything. A 2005/2006 that's CPO or has an even further extended warranty & not a ton of miles is great, but I have so many close acquaintances that have bought these new or used and driven to almost 200k with next to nothing but oil & tires changed, not a concern. They're legendary. They handle a family & family stuff like NOTHING else on the market, period. Still miss having one around, even for trips, just couldn't beat it & (as my brother continually says, getting to drive lots of things at work) "drive more like a car than any other truck, period". Highly recommended if the right one.

3) Envoy. You had one. You know them. You love them. If you were to decide something like a Tahoe/Suburban is just a bit too big, etc., I think this is the next logical choice. A 2008'ish CPO with low miles and the right price (like the Pointe one that sold) are great. Not super huge, not V8, but still powerful, 4WD, fits 5 comfortably & their stuff without a lot of excess space, and they seem to be similarly durable to the GMT-800's. Another highly recommended, if you think the size for your family & stuff is right.

4) SSR...fun... :smilewide:

Given the Fleetwood now and the G6, I think you need something that has Fleetwood room but in a higher up, larger cargo space but still trucky package. Where the G6 would be a squeeze for all 4/5 of you more than once in a while, I think you need an SUV that's new enough not to be a maintenance worry and can comfortably fit you daily without being a gas or parking space pig, as well as it fits the family & their stuff. SUV over a truck, I'd say.

And if you go new, a Terrain could be exactly the right bill, almost Envoy sized but in a latest & greatest more efficient package.

Now as for me...uh...

Finally drove the/a Solstice today at my Jersey dealer, and really did like it. Interesting to do so when it's barely 30 degrees out, but otherwise...cool little car.

1) VERY solid. Actually the first convertible I've ever driven, but pounding it over Penns Grove, NJ's finest Rt. 130 lumps, not shake or shimmy. A few creaks, but they mostly seemed cold related and from the top alone.

2) Stiff/firm ride, more so than I expected, but for such a small car, felt right.

3) For such a small car...wow...doesn't feel like it inside. Lots of headroom for my 6'-3" self, and shape/seat placement aside that make it feel more closed in, pretty darn roomy for 2. The seat was also better than I remembered, but doesn't have many adjustments & would have probably gotten to me in time...then again, I couldn't even find recline, if it has it.

4) I don't like the non-DI 2.4L. Didn't like it in our Malibu, where it was eerily quiet but seemed to lack much oomph and would be gurgling gas down at the same time. Between the size, weight, and 5-spd auto of the Solstice I expected more, but it felt and sounded exactly the same and could barely manage over 21-22mpg on the cruise. Punched, the trans dropped & it would move well, but just doesn't feel spunky enough for the mpg's it pulls in.

5) Just looks GREAT. Loved it in white with the new design polished wheels. Somehow less awkward for me to get in & out of than mom's Camaro, too. Inside also has cool lines and the dash isn't bad, but the center console & opening compartments between the seats are really scratchy & rough to look at or use.

So, I liked it. Liked it a lot. Had I or should I decide on the "2nd car" prospect, it'd remain high in the running. Just a fun little romper, looks great, very solid and though lacking the greatest pep/mpg's, not terrible either. Not at the top of my list anymore, but I felt bad leaving it there...that must say something.

Image00017.jpg

Image00018.jpg

Image00015.jpg

Image00016.jpg

Image00019.jpg

On that GMT-355 note, snapped this one at my Jersey dealer yesterday. Continues to amaze me how different these trucks can be with all the unique wheels, trim & color combos. More impressive than their bigger brothers, that's for sure.

This Canyon, in silver, gave a very mechanical/techie look. Cool.

Image00026.jpg

Another update...wow, by page 7 a totally different story;-)

The G8 had it's 1 year anniversary with me yesterday, while out car shopping. Awesome day. As of mid week, however, it's up for sale. Hard to believe, but after debates, browsing, pricing & test driving galore, just decided what I really want & need is ONE vehicle that can do it all...and in this case I just want a truck or SUV. G8 is incredible, but I just want to sit high, never get stranded or have to avoid bad roads, and I've also finally figured out 1 thing that's been lacking in every car I've had--that chair height comfort. Driving home yesterday my butt just melted to the G8's great seats, but I just want to be higher. And right now in life, having something I just want to keep modding & upgrading and am worried about daily gets to be a bit much. It's part ADD, part reality. Just how I roll...hah.

When and if it sells, then I have new replacements semi sorted out as of yesterday. If it doesn't, oh well, the tragedy of keeping such a 'purty & powerful modded Zeta around.

There is a rotary knob to recline the seats in the Solstice & SKY - tough to use when seated with the door closed. You need to sit in the seat with the car parked & the door open to use it, but it works better if you're standing outside of the car turning the knob. It's not the most efficient way to get the seat right, but once you're happy you don't have to worry about changing it often :) As for the 2.4L 4 cyl, I agree with your assessment on it's power. It was a turn off for me, and as much as I loved the SKY, I wished it was a V6 instead to match the looks of the car (when I told people it had a 4 cyl engine, they'd give me a strange look!). If you can find a GXP version with the 2.0L turbocharged engine, you may like the car better overall (as I've been told from SKY Redline owners).

Back to your recommendations on the post I made, I am forgoing the GMT-355s as I too agree they don't offer enough interior room & storage. As much as I'd like one, they don't make the best choice for a family hauler. That '04 Suburban is nice, but I agree with you that a '06 CPO with warranty would be a better find. I will keep looking for one of those years, especially a GMC Yukon XL. The Terrain is spot on, but as I want equipped, out of my price range. Time will tell on that one though. And finally, I've expanded the search of the gmt-360s - I started looking at Buick Rainiers, and found a CPO '06 Buick Rainier CXL AWD with 24k for slightly under $20k. I like the prospect of the Buick, since they aren't as common as the Trailblazer & Envoy models, and the Buick is a little more upscale looking (exterior appearance). Here's the one I found, not locally but not that far away, that I'm know considering:

CT9423.jpg

CT9423.25.jpg

CT9423.08.jpg

Not to cut in on you guys, but last night I located this:

3GNEK13T73G130196_5.jpg

112k miles, but I plan on beating the $h! out of it anyway.

Price is right at $10k

Leather, heated seats, sunroof, 4x4, 6-disk changer..... pretty much the same one as I had before but a different color exterior.

Might go take a look on Monday.

3GNEK13T73G130196_5.jpg

I sent a message to the dealer with the '06 Buick Rainier, seeing if it is still available. Not sure about financing, but you don't know until you try!

And like caddycruiser, if the Buick works out then I'll be putting the '96 Caddy for sale, assuming the dealer doesn't offer me a substantial trade-in amount!! :lol: I'd like to be able to keep it, but there's not enough cash flow to handle three car loans, three insurance payments, and gas for all three.

Roger - I like the Buick...a LOT! I kept meaning to suggest to you...what about a Rainier or what about a 9-7X...since they were the most tarted up versions but also have lower resales. The 9-7X, especially. Either way, they're also more exclusive than an Envoy, regardless of how nice the GMC is. I like, I really like...keep us updated on your conquest too :AH-HA: I'll put the word out on your Fleetwood again, just "potentially", and you put a word out that my G8 is up for grabs...deal 8)

I figured there was a knob I was missing on the Solstice...but regardless, what a blast, even with the dog of a 2.4L. Even coming out of my G8, felt like a little slot car, stiff, razor sharp, and I loved it. I would and will buy one if that time comes, at some point, for a fun side car.

Oldsmoboi - Mmm, an Avalanche of goodness. The '02 Z66 my mom had remains special to all of us, and even recently still came up as "that was SUCH a great truck...never had any problems, looked so cool, rode GREAT..." and it's a big part of why I'm shopping new ones myself now. Heck, even my Buick-GMC dealer in Jersey when I said I had just been Avalanche shopping said "they're big, but a great package...and you know...somehow, even though based on the Suburban, people never stop commenting on how it rides and feels better than either a Tahoe or Suburban. Hard to explain, it just does." All true. Cool. Higher mileage or not, it's a GMT-800...if the price and condition are right...fun. I always enjoyed how spunky both our Avalanche and Suburban, at least as 2wd's, felt with the 5.3L. Great stuff.

Edited by caddycruiser

Okay guys...as for me and selling the G8...I went shopping yesterday, locally and then north to Jersey. Had to see me some TRUCKS :suburban:

1) Leftover Inferno Orange & Ebony '09 Avalanche 1LT 4WD. Started out by getting a quote on the same truck but 2WD & Graystone vs. orange at a dealer in VA and just needed to see & drive the same thing, as close as I could find. Didn't like the color from pictures beforehand--very red, same shade as offered on the Camaro--but in person? Fell for it. The Avalanche is loud as it is is, in ways, so why not have a color that really makes it pop? Loved this truck. The look, the size, the brute "grr!" solid tankness, big running boards, big shiny 20" wheels, and options galore...but still cloth seats. Even better. Still only had a few miles, and was optioned with the rear camera, rear sensors, power pedals, remote start, power sunroof & auto climate control, and 20" polished wheels. Felt at home just sitting in it, king of something, on comfy cloth seats...and the rear camera in the mirror with beeping sonar were great. Not what I'd call peppy with all the weight & 4wd, but like a quiet tomb rolling down the road & quick enough without ever feeling stressed. Classic 5.3L GM suv feel, with the new 6-spd I like from my G8. Got #'s, etc. and am thinking about it...just didn't want a 4WD one...but at the same time, it doesn't necessarily hurt. And these things are keeping value, at least vs. other things I'd consider. This one could totally work, I loved how it drove, just don't know about 4WD...that we otherwise used to avoid. All I'd get, I think, is the chrome handles, mirror caps and grille, and a Corsa down the road, and it'd be set for life. Nothing else I'd want to do to it, and hard to get much beyond an Avalanche in the truck/SUV world.

Image00009.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00010.jpg

2) The Solstice. My first drive at my Jersey dealer, after I looked at everything else they had. Review & pictures previously. What a little slot car.

3) Carbon Black & Cashmere (new color for '10) GMC Acadia SLT-1, FWD, no other options but the paint color. I've always been a Lambda fan & knew about this one before I went. After I poked around a few other things, I asked for the keys & was told to have at it, wherever I wanted to go. Took the same route as the Solstice before. NICE. A fan of the looks, the features, the colors, the wheels, the size, and the bright new Cashmere interior too, with chrome trim & buttons galore. Started up the DI 3.6L, toasted up the seats, and went for a roll. The last Lambda I drove was 1 of each back in '07, pre DI engine. As I was told before I left "you'll notice the new oomph...the DI engine & transmission updates make a big difference". They really do. It doesn't have that OHV V8 torque, but it's silent, silky, keeps the revs really low and if prodded, MOVES. Let's just say I took a u-turn & nailed it to get going, followed by an exhaust ploom in the cold & chirping front tires. Otherwise, just cruising along, so smooth, so quiet, and if prodded, didn't have the delay-slosh-bog issues older versions or even my Malibu 3.6L were like. I liked these before and I still like them, to the extent this black & tan beauty had me smiling by the time I got back & "get me a price". On my drive it was averaging about 23mpg, or better than even the Solstice, and I loved the Bose system--crisper, louder, and clearer than either my G8 or the base system I only quickly turned on in the Avalanche. Steering was a little softer or looser, which is just a trait of these, than the Avalanche even, but not bad. Just extra isolation of sorts. The Enclave impresses more in some ways, but my guy-ness likes the crisper edges, red GMC emblems and red & white interior lights of the Acadia more. It's just that unibody/struts/etc. car-ness...and resale question vs. something like an Avalanche, if spending $35k to start. Also not really exclusive or unique at this point.

Image00020.jpg

Image00021.jpg

Image00022.jpg

Image00024.jpg

Honestly? Split between an Avalanche & Acadia/Enclave. Both speak to me in different ways. The Avalanche would always be worth more, it's just MORE of a vehicle, it feels like a rolling army tank and is silent on the road, but also not the peppiest or efficient...though, at least or almost as efficient as my 6.0L G8. It's the ultimate, and I love the package. But things like the 30+ gallon gas tank, etc. give me pause, despite the mpg's and supreme comfort, toughness & otherwise. Then the Acadia...I love the looks, the chrome & soft leather interior, the sound, power & efficiency of the DI 3.6L, the power liftgate & other gadgets, and just the silent, smooth, but also not floaty way it wafts down the road. On the other hand, it's just like a car (and this also makes it why I like it, but...), doesn't have that tough truck feel like a GMT-900, and right now a '10 Lambda as I'd like is just a hair more expensive than an '09 (a year old at that) Avalanche I'd go for.

GMT-900 or Lambda, it's a mixture. I could totally see myself with an Avalanche everyday, love the tough truck everything about it, the size, the comfort, the Midgate, the cloth, and "special-ness" of them, especially now that they're making less & less. Add in a unique/rare color, if I were to go with one like the orange one I drove, and it gets another point. But then I enjoy the size, refinement, efficiency, and look of an Acadia/Enclave too...but then don't necessarily love the car-ness, so to say, of them, if that makes any sense.

Went to the local dealer today & got the urge when around an Avalanche they have, but then also tried out an unlocked White Diamond/Cashmere Enclave and liked that fanciness again. Pocket & brain says GMT-900, other part of pocket and the other half of the butt says don't rule out a Lambda.

All depends on the G8 selling, and again, as much as I love it, I WANT something higher, that I can drive all year round, that can take some big cargo, and so forth. My Jersey dealer took notes on the G8 after the sales manager tried it himself, in case anyone comes in looking for one, I'm going to alert the dealer we bought the Camaro from to the same, and I'm trying to get more postings up. I've done a lot to it and will miss it, but rather than G8 and a 2nd car, I'm just finally starting to see what I think I really want, and that truck bug I had for years but tried to suppress is finally coming out.

Edited by caddycruiser

I would say GMT-900 1 Lambda 0. But then again I prefer trucks.

Avalanche is more versatile than the Acadia.

Build quality wise I thought the Lambdas have the edge over the GMT-900's but it is not an expansive one to reconsider.

I think the same things...and I had that "vision" of my new Avalanche all stock, all the time, just the chrome bits and a Corsa for the roar I like on my G8. Otherwise, I think either one is a package that might finally be what I've subconsciously wanted the whole time, even back to my Fleetwood days.

Also looked at this today at the local dealer, 1 of 2 freshly PDI'd White Diamond Enclaves.

Image00027.jpg

The Lambdas just speak to me, but then also say "but...yeah...you might want to trade us for a GMT-900 later..." in weird ways. I admire them, I like riding in them, I'd buy that Acadia I drove...but still don't know if they're "me" enough. It's just that railroad trestle truck "woof!" and tank feel that speak to me above all, in a GMT-900...yet the huge gas tank & lumbering size are also considerations. But you just feel like king of the road, in utter comfort.

1) Any comments on the ORANGEY ORANGE?! Heh...still strikes me...looked like a lightning bolt in the middle of the white, silver, black, and gray other trucks all around it. I liked seeing the orange peaking at me from the hood bulges going down the road--I've only driven GMT-900 GMC's thus far, and the "bulged" Chevy hood top was cool.

2) 4WD...mmm...all my talk recently of wanting year round, all weather, any kind of everything capability, yet I never really considered it. If comparing 2 leftover '09 Av's that are otherwise the same except in color, is 4WD worth the extra $2600 difference to start? I know it seems like a no brainer...but...I over analyze...

If I can get the G8 to a good home, amidst all this winter mess, I'd just have to decide on which of which. Av speaks to my practical/long term/cool side...the Acadia/Enclave speak to my fancy, silky smooth, 20mpg+ 7 seater side...

Edited by caddycruiser

I think if you ran a poll, the orange truck would win by an Avalanche. It's awesome.

Heh...

Something about that color...just...looks...I don't know. Special. Loud, screaming loud, but special. Tire of it? That I don't know.

Image00002.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

The Graystone 2wd one in Virginia otherwise is the same...sans 4WD...and already has the chrome accessories on it. I wish I had the time to drive a new 2wd one yesterday to compare power/etc. without the front end running gear & 3:08 vs. 3:42 rear end.

All this Avalanche chatter by me & Oldsmoboi...along with Roger's great choices...look at this '02 North Face Av on Ebay with 323k on the clock. Just does to show you...they last...they really, really, really last...hey...I like that one...but the price is a little high for the mileage, perhaps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220555561879&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wouldn't touch a 2WD Avalanche (or Suburban) with a ten foot pole. Minimal savings at purchase only to own a vehicle that has no resale value farther north than the Carolinas.

Very true...we did run into that issue with trade in of at least our Suburban. Just for me, it always came down to I don't want to be dragging a transfer case around 24/7, but at the same time, it can't hurt to just have it there. I mean, most of these trucks out on the road are so equipped. In 2Hi, it's not that different. We had two 2wd trucks with G80 & one with traction control, never an issue. Even in winter ice, but then again, we never drove them to any extent more than we would have a common sedan...but Autotrac? Not a bad thing.

Well, then, amazing how things change. I've said before, I could have a Maserati, Ferrari, top MB sedan, etc. I'd still get to the same point and get the itch. In this case, and even today blasting around with a smile in the G8, I just want to sit up higher. Pretty basic, when it comes down to it. I don't like being low, I can't stand constantly fretting the road with 40 series tires & big wheels, a car that sits low as it is, etc. I'm used to it, but alas.

That orange thing...every time I see a picture...yikes...still...I kept thinking "Hugger Orange" for some reason when I looked at & drove it, even if that's no relation or not close. But I could see it. So far checking, insurance is exactly the same as my G8, or estimated at $2 more.

Another plus over a Lambda...it's a real truck...trailer hitch standard, actually has a real spare tire standard, and so on, so on. Either way, we'll see, if and when the G8 sells.

Edited by caddycruiser

What's the point of a 2WD Avalanche? Even with a G80 diff, you've done nothing to improve your winter travel prospects. In the Avalanches, the 4WD can be turned off and you just run in 2WD mode. On the highway, my old '03 would get 18mpg no problem. The newer ones with AFM do better.

As a former (and hopefully soon to be again) owner of an Avalanche, you just can't beat the versatility of these vehicles. You describe it as "lumbering", and compared to a G8 it very much is, but I found that an Avalanche drives around town like a much smaller vehicle than it really is.

All this Avalanche chatter by me & Oldsmoboi...along with Roger's great choices...look at this '02 North Face Av on Ebay with 323k on the clock. Just does to show you...they last...they really, really, really last...hey...I like that one...but the price is a little high for the mileage, perhaps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Since I've been shopping for these lately, I frequently run into ads for trucks in the 190k to 230k range that'll say "Some wear in the interior, tear in rear seat, but the truck runs fine." They seem to old their value fairly well, so if you can get a slightly used CPO model you'll do fine on trade in at some future point.

My aim is for an Avalanche with heated seats and 4WD for less than 15k and less than 120k miles. I'd prefer at least a 2004 since they'll burn E85, but if I end up with an older one, I'll just keep it as a transition till I can get a much newer model.

What's the point of a 2WD Avalanche? Even with a G80 diff, you've done nothing to improve your winter travel prospects. In the Avalanches, the 4WD can be turned off and you just run in 2WD mode. On the highway, my old '03 would get 18mpg no problem. The newer ones with AFM do better.

As a former (and hopefully soon to be again) owner of an Avalanche, you just can't beat the versatility of these vehicles. You describe it as "lumbering", and compared to a G8 it very much is, but I found that an Avalanche drives around town like a much smaller vehicle than it really is.

I completely agree, and by "lumbering", I actually meant that in a good way. It's the heavy, solid, silent, bridge abutment feel I desire. All with steering that's very crisp, a ride that's utterly smooth & composed, and overall for such a big heavy truck, it feels even more composed and refined than my G8 on the highway. It's like a cocoon, a big, comfy, smooth, crisp handling cocoon that can run over anything and have it waft away.

My Avalanche experience started with our '02 Z66, and I've loved them ever since. Like said, there really is something that even makes them different from a Suburban going down the road. Also completely agree on the 4WD factor, because although my experience with 2WD's and a locker was great, honestly? If I'm going to make such a big jump, it'd be stupid not to make it a real truck with such capability.

I used to love borrowing our '02, roaring around, tunes on, rear window out and just enjoying the ride. Loved it. And mileage back then was equal to what my G8 6.0L gets now, so an AFM 5.3L and the 6-speed that's smoother & more efficiently uses the power, even better.

We shall see. The big orange beast is now my #1, but the G8 has to sell and then I have to work further with that dealer on price.

I just don't like that Orange colour... the Copper colour I'd be okay with but it's just too bold IMO. Also the 4WD is a must.

Also have you thought about an older Escalade EXT... bigger engine?

Yeah, I have, on the Escalade. Just comes down to stepping even further back in age, not forward, lacking warranty or otherwise, and paying for a used truck what I'd pay for a new Avalanche/Tahoe/etc. with better GM offers, and be the first driver.

I would agree with you on the color...I was a big fan of the more copper shades of the orange in year's past, but there's something about this one. It's a bit red, but I like it. I think with the chrome door handles, mirrors, and grille (or...opinions?) it would bring a little of the shine up from just the wheels and break it up nicely.

At least it would also fulfill my "don't want to see myself at a red light" requirement...1 year color as of now...and my phone made it even red'er. If you've seen an orange new Camaro, that's it. I guess I had to sell myself on it, but once I saw it, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

I've loved the Avalanche concept from the start, and any reservations I have had about it had little to do with the vehicle itself.

In fact, one could be in my future easily.

For me, a pickup could work...but I really don't want and/or a full open bed standard & separate from the cab isn't attractive to me or my uses. Neither is the true pickup ride/rear leafs, unless I needed that extra capacity out back.

Then a Tahoe/Suburban is great, but I don't need 7 seats or just a HUGE long interior, and price compared, an Avalanche is still cheaper or less than a Tahoe...but on the longer, much better riding, etc. Suburban chassis. Add in the Midgate that even if I just used to remove the rear window, the 3 locking panels I could crawl on & that don't leak (they've improved over the years, too), and the bed side boxes, it's like a swiss army truck that rides, handles, and performs like a big, firmly planted luxury sedan. Many people just don't get "well why don't you want a pickup?" but until you've experienced an Avalanche, it's hard to get.

Again...the $$$ orange 4wd 1LT '09 locally is my #1 choice, and we'll see how this goes. It checks every box off my wants & needs list and then some, like no other. At least the dealer even talked technically about them, from the steering changes to Midgate specifics and AFM during the test drive, a relief to me. We shall see. G8 must sell...the quicker, the better, hopefully to a warm climate.

Dark red orange as is...does it need the chrome bits added? Any suggestions? Early to think about this...but just thinking of things I could ask for if this were to happen...

+1 on the Avalanche. The Lambda's are nice, but you don't need a family vehicle just yet. 4WD? In the northeast, I say it's a must with any truck or truck-based vehicle. Look at surrounding areas that got hit by all the snow recently - PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC - all buried by the snowstorm and only 4WD vehicles got through. The orange? well, it's not my cup of tea, but if you like it that's all that matters (no one here is helping you with the monthly payment, right?). All I will do ifs offer you some suggestions for personalized license plates - HWYDEPT (Highway Department), D O C (Department of Corrections), ILUVOJ (I Love Orange Juice; though I guess you'd have to be careful of this one, as people may think you're an OJ Simpson fan!).... :lol:

And good luck to you with that Rainier idea Roger...I LIKE it :AH-HA:

You either love it or hate it, I think that's what I'm liking more about this orange dealio. Heh.

We can both drive new trucks to whenever we do actually meet up in Hershey or otherwise...

The point is its lighter, has less drag and wear and tear and is less complex.

I would expect a G80, however.

Sorry, IMHO, 4WD is for offroad and I'm not all that thrilled with 4WD as a snow vehicle. I have a 4wd vehicle... '76 K5 Blazer with big tires... it sucks in the snow, IMHO.

Unfortunately, as much as I generally hate trucks, I suppose a newer truck is in my future since GM has only made about 10,000 worthwhile fullsize cars in the last 14 years. That Orange Avalanche is interesting, but not really practical for me... I don't like being arrested everytime I drive... ;-)

I'd be happy with a 2wd Avalache... preferably black (without the ugly plastic), lowered, G80 with a decent sounding exhaust.

I'd be happy with a 2wd Avalache... preferably black (without the ugly plastic), lowered, G80 with a decent sounding exhaust.

On that cladding note...used to love the stuff! Made caring for our black '02 so much simpler, we thought it looked great and never got anything but compliments. I understand it's not for everyone, but at least on the last gen, I always thought the cladded looks were so much more standout than the "clean" ones offered later, that just looked peeled.

Good points on the 2WD...I waiver. Like I said, we had nothing but a good experience a 2wd Avalanche & then Suburban, in all weather, other than the most extreme of situations in winter. Otherwise, until you've had one, you don't know. Of course then that leads into the whole debate of "why get a truck if you don't get 4WD...", but alas.

Back when my mother had the '02, she & I hosted two different Avalanche club meets at the beach, and this was our biggest...fun times with people from several surround states driving around Rehoboth, Dewey, Lewes, and then back to our house & the bay:

avmeetpanasmall.jpg