I need a storage garage in SE PA...hmm...for...

The cladding makes it much easier to take care of as a work truck.

Oh, does it ever...big fan of that stuff & how those ones looked, especially up front. I didn't dislike the without body hardware ones, they just looked so plain & boring to me.

You guys are making me want a extended cab 1500 Sierra. I have already started looking for one.

Do it...heh...join the ranks. Well, the ranks if I, Roger, Oldsmoboi, etc. actually make deals go through. Can't beat a modern truck as an "everyday/everything" ride, huge gas tanks & all;-)

Oh, does it ever...big fan of that stuff & how those ones looked, especially up front. I didn't dislike the without body hardware ones, they just looked so plain & boring to me.

While I also hated the lower bodyside cladding on the regular Avalanche, I liked it better than the WBH models because the front-end styling was so much better and so much more aggressive.

I wonder if there is a way to combine the front of the BH models with the cleaner sides of the WBH models?

The WBH also has a strong-suit: I've seen one converted over to have GMC Sierra front sheetmetal and it does look awesome.

Edited by whiteknight

I would think it would get all gouged to hell.

Just curious, is it possible to remove the plastic treatment at the rear window? Or do they offer a cap for the Avalanches?

There's some pretty beefy structural members under those buttresses...it's why the Av is so solid, even more than a Suburban, out back. You can smooth & paint or use the Cadillac parts if you want them that way. The cladding was a lot more durable than people expected and even abused, it could just take it and not get damaged or otherwise. Textured plastic & well designed, actually. If you somehow did, not hard then to replace.

I used to love the "steps" built into the side corners of the rear cladded bumper too, another thing the shaved WBH models didn't get.

...or swap in Escalade EXT parts.

Yes, someone makes a cap for it - odd looking.

Correcto. Snugtop. Cool setup, actually...like a Suburban, but you end up with 2-tiered storage instead, floor and on top of the panels.

Now a GMT-900...still not as burly as a cladded original, but the new GMT-900 looks are just about better than either before. Clean, crisp and cool at the same time, matched with an interior that leaps & bounds better too--but the old ones were nothing to scoff at there either, and actually still debatable today, had more comfortable front seats.

Actually...having tried out that orangey-orange Av...liked the seats, especially in cloth, but kind of wished they had the individual armrests on the front seats again and not just the wide & really tall center console. It's still nice, but one little thing where I preferred the old.

Not to cut in on you guys, but last night I located this:

3GNEK13T73G130196_5.jpg

112k miles, but I plan on beating the $h! out of it anyway.

Price is right at $10k

Leather, heated seats, sunroof, 4x4, 6-disk changer..... pretty much the same one as I had before but a different color exterior.

Might go take a look on Monday.

3GNEK13T73G130196_5.jpg

*sigh*

Thanks, you you got me thinking about one of these again. wub.gif

After the Balt is paid for, I'd love to get my hands on one of these as a family hauler/trip taker/trips shopping truck.

Plus the winters around here are starting to kill me.....

These are much more fun than the Vue or Libertys the wife is looking at......

28398110001_large.jpg

O M G ! ! !

:wub:

(I'd die if someone found one with the current GMC Sierra front clip instead of the Yukon Denali front clip)

Derek, you have your mission - buy that orange Av and transform it into a GMC - use the Sierra clip though. Go.... Now.... What are you waiting for? :P

As for your question on the factory chrome add-ons, I say yes to the chrome door handles and mirror caps. I'd need to see what the chrome grille looks like first before commenting on that.

It's bad enough that Derek mentioned he wants an Av and I've been seeing them everywhere (and wanting one now) since, but with the GMc converted pics being posted here, now I really want one to transform into a GMC!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

O M G ! ! !

:wub:

(I'd die if someone found one with the current GMC Sierra front clip instead of the Yukon Denali front clip)

There is a current generation Sierra Denali Avalanche around here..if I see it again, I will try and snap a pic. Black, stock wheels, lots of chrome trim. Looks great.

Those looking for a used Avalanche, here's a great looking 2002 Z71 loaded with 51k miles and selling for around $15k:

Flemington Car & Truck Country Dealerships - Flemington Nissan (Flemington, NJ, Hunterdon County):

FS_3GNEK13T12G285082_1.jpg

Link: http://gmc.flemington.com/preowned/dsp_viewcar.cfm?vin=3GNEK13T12G285082

Derek - can't you keep the G8 and add that used Av to your fleet? You have the best of all worlds - all-season GT sedan, and bad weather, whatever-you-need-hauled hauler, and beach off-roader/winter warrior. What do you think of that idea???

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Those looking for a used Avalanche, here's a great looking 2002 Z71 loaded with 51k miles and selling for around $15k:

Flemington Car & Truck Country Dealerships - Flemington Nissan (Flemington, NJ, Hunterdon County):

Link: http://gmc.flemington.com/preowned/dsp_viewcar.cfm?vin=3GNEK13T12G285082

Derek - can't you keep the G8 and add that used Av to your fleet? You have the best of all worlds - all-season GT sedan, and bad weather, whatever-you-need-hauled hauler, and beach off-roader/winter warrior. What do you think of that idea???

Oooh, that one brings back memories :AH-HA:

Anything is possible, but 1 vehicle is enough for me right now, and I'd like it to do everything, and sit higher, etc. at the same time. G8 & I are a legendary couple, but those things end...even when you've made posts & otherwise saying how "never...can't happen...won't".

Again, we'll see. You included :AH-HA:

camarosmile.gif

FS_3GNEK13T12G285082_1.jpg

Link: http://gmc.flemingto...NEK13T12G285082

lovey.gif

It's bad enough that Derek mentioned he wants an Av and I've been seeing them everywhere (and wanting one now) since, but with the GMc converted pics being posted here, now I really want one to transform into a GMC!!

If you do buy a GMT-900 Avalanche for the conversion, use the Yukon front clip. :AH-HA:

For example, I have seen a 900 Silverado with a 900 Tahoe front clip running around in the wild before and it wasn't pretty. The flaring of the front and rear fenders simply do not mesh well at all. While I will admit everything forward of the cab was fine, the rear of the truck really turned me off and looked like a half-retarded dually.

It would be the opposite for a new Avalanche with a GMC Sierra front clip; everything aft of the rear doors would be a mismatched mess.

Now, someone could modify the front fenders to accept the Sierra hood, headlights, grille, and bumper but that would be a horribly expensive amount of work. You could also modify the rear quarters to accept the crew cab pickup's bedside flaring, but again, it would be a horribly expensive amount of work to undertake. It is possible, though, to make the package look factory; anyone remember the GMT-900 Duramax Suburban SEMA concept?

Didn't think about that whiteknight; you are correct that the flaring style will not match up. If I were to ever be able to do this conversion, I'd use the Yukon Denali trim, even if the truck was not 'Denali' equipped (I'd leave off the "Denali" nameplates). That black one is very sharp indeed!!

1st bite on 'ole G8, a guy from Raleigh, NC who has a '93 BMW 3-series, said he test drove a few GT's over the past year along with CPO 3 & 5 series Beemers. "I just decided it was finally time for a new car."

We'll see. Liking G8's "like a cheap BMW I can work on & play with myself" he said he had been browsing G8 forums & mainly had questions based on things there. Wants to come up this weekend & twice offered a $$$ but I said see & drive it first before that. Then I started getting worried about loan payoff, special tag transfer & oh yeah, not having another car. Jumping ahead. Oh, if only someone wants it & can have everything settled & paid in a week...that'd be nice.

Only now did I start thinking oh crap...payoff, tag transfer stuff, paperwork, waiting & oh yeah...I only have the 1 car & haven't decided on another. Oh boy.

Edited by caddycruiser

Found a 3rd '09 Avy I like at a great price in another random place...is the 3rd time the charm? Hmm.

The bite on the G8 didn't call back for a weekend visit setup after Friday night, so alas. Working on trades too, because that would be so much easier, but we'll see.

Randomly? I started wanting that little white Solstice again too... :AH-HA:

I'll post in my thread :P

Just FYI... Kevin had a couple there on the white Solstice roadster tonight :AH-HA:

Cool! I'm going to buy one of those things, no question, probably after I get this big truck "thing" taken care of.

I still do like white...on many things...it's white...but it's hard to tire of...whether it be a Solstice or a Suburban.

You, me & whoever else...let's surprise. Well, as much as possible, that is.

Still shopping...getting close on something far away...but we'll see.

Hmm, what might it be...oh what might it be...

Retired ex G8 friend in PA bet me "$10 you still have the G8 in spring and will be glad you kept it". That doesn't seem likely, but you'll never know, and we'll find out shortly I guess :AH-HA:

I'm half tempted to go for Rodger's FWB and just get a trailer for apartment duties.... but Albert wants me to just get a real truck so I'll stop using his CR-V to haul lawnmowers and snow blowers.

So... no updates from me yet.

I know...I've tried my brother, my father and of course myself...I'd love to buy his car too, since I loved mine and his is the ultimate, but just can't yet. Unless the G8 sells on its own and I then decide cash car...grr...I can't stand to think of that car going to the wrong home. Rare bird, especially now. But it's served him well.

Then you have me, with the "ultimate" G8 GT and, ahem, upgrades galore, about to trade it all in as is...for who knows what. Well, I know what, but have to keep debating. I don't want it to go to a bad home either...

Out of the 3 of us, someone will be first... :AH-HA:

@#$%&* credit union's terms were not to my liking, so that option is out the door.

No hits on the FWB yet, will try Craigslist tonight. I never have any luck when it comes to selling an owned or financed vehicle :palm:

caddycruiser - we'll see how good of a recommendation the "finance" people at your preferred place. It's in their hands now. BTW, their trade-in offer came up ($800 more than what I told you in the e-mail; not enough still nor what I want to get, but they're showing some sign of wanting to deal with me :AH-HA: ). And if their efforts don't get my approval...

... the wife is now trying to talk me into KEEPING the FWB! Most of it deals with the fact that the loan payment is low, and the other part is that the car will be paid off in a little over a year (unless I work something else out with my finances this summer). I told her about the issues that need repair and she said if I find out the cost for each, we'll budget each week and knock them off one at a time. This from the woman who loathed the car the first three months I owned it, telling me I should have looked at a newer CPO/used vehicle instead :lol:

So it's up in the air as to who will buy first!!

Of course, because I get to drive the 14 year old car and she gets to drive the year and a half old car :P

But if the shoe was on the other foot... XD

I'd pick the FWB over her car any day of the week, so would my check book.... and I doubt I'm alone on that one.

She makes good financial sense.

Gotta agree. And from someone who used to have the same car, but is now almost on new car #4 in such a short time...I really wish I had just kept the Fleetwood. Sold it for so little, it was worth more to me in spirit and seeing what another $2k did for it (the friend who bought it did EVERYTHING and basically got every last bit up to semi new car standards, from suspension to hoses, coolant, tune up, etc.), really, I'd be in what a nice $$ place right now. I'd covet new cars all day long, but alas.

Now I'm sort of stuck in the new car realm...low APR financing specials make my day & I can just keep rolling on, into another new smell of plastic and leather, but alas. When you have one, you want the other. Grass is always greener, always.

We'll see what Pointe can do for you otherwise...I'd hate to see that thing traded and then flipped over to a wholesale auction or dubbed out in south Jersey by a gangsta...but as I know all too well myself right now, even losing a chunk of $$ and a big one, trading is OH so easy. Again, either way...something.

It's going to snow...again...but at least my choices are narrowed down, if not already decided.

Of course, the day I confirm things on a new deal, trade included, I get an email within an hour from the first guy to contact me about 'ole G8, still interested and having called GMAC himself to check on what was possible. I'd love to sell it to him, not lose as much for sure, and have one happy camper that I've at least talked to in length beforehand...but timing may be the issue.

Stay tuned. This could go all colorful or all snowy, you never know.

I don't think any of us have made a change yet...but...

Edited by caddycruiser

I do not want the FWB any longer. I value what the car represents, and love the look of the car. But I am unable to perform the maintenance that the car needs myself, do not have the resources available to send the car to the shop at this time, and cannot be without a vehicle for work if and when problems creep up. The CPO vehicle I'm hoping to buy has a good warranty on it and that helps me to buy time to save up some $$$ again for repairs that aren't covered or when the warranty runs out (the only money I had saved was spent on the FWB's repairs in November).

I understand that a low payment and in the near future a payment-free vehicle is the way to go, but when it is not what you want you know psychologically that doesn't matter. My wife, while campaigning for me to keep the FWB, isn’t in love with the car and would rather I didn’t buy it last summer, and at the same time she doesn’t like us relying on a 14 year old car that can see 12-14k miles per year of use (older things tend to break down, especially if they’re original parts, as they get more usage). I don’t have the money to pay shop rates for labor, and I don’t have a shade tree mechanic living next door to me. Sure there’s always someone willing to help, but can I expect them to be ready to come to my house at my beck and call because I need to get to work?

Chalk it up to owning only one used vehicle without a warranty, one CPO-like used vehicle with a great warranty, another used vehicle with a decent warranty and only one out-of-pocket small expense, and then a ton of vehicles that were leased (a few financed) and covered by the factory warranty that never had any major problems - they were ALL GM vehicles to boot.

Those that say they'd love to drive the 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood as your daily driver, all I gotta say is you're very welcome to put your money on your word :AH-HA:

Completely understood, Roger, there are reasons I sold mine...nothing that worried me, really, just more..."I want a new car!" Then we know how that has gone for years. Your idea of a CPO SUV seems perfect, through and through. New enough to have a warranty, used just enough to save the big resale loss chunk, and so forth. The Fleetwood was a fun almost cash car, but it's not something a guy with a family and so on can have as their sole DD, unless you do know how and have the space/time to keep it going. But at least you got to experience the boat :AH-HA:

Now...to find a buyer...and pray to the sky not a pimp my ride type, but again, the sale is important. Again, after back in '08 I closely screened potential buyers of my '95 with a find tooth comb, a benefit to having the time a paid off cash car and no true rush for new, affords.

Breaking news...

I just bought a new truck. I've never seen it, other than pictures, it's not nearby and as of today everything is done except for my signatures on the stack of papers. G8 traded (yes...), new truck financed and will be delivered to my door with all the paperwork in hand in the next few days, then the G8 will go back with them. All the way to Georgia...at least I hope the G8 finally gets some more sun and/or a garage. Sad, but without anything physical, it's not really "real" yet either.

Mixed feelings about this news.

Yes, even for me. Especially after threads & discussions where I've said & still say "I can't ever give this car up". I don't want to fully, but

there's other reasons why I do. After this crazy thread, you've seen it all, from Solstice to a 2nd G8 to G8 gone and in comes one fancy new big truck.

The new ride IS an Avalanche, so that I stayed with, but it's a completely different one than I showed & discussed earlier in the thread. The whole thing just went through like butter, starting off with an unexpected "let's see" email last Saturday. I'm excited but it's so abstract right now, it's hard to explain since I've not signed, touched, or otherwise a single thing but a keyboard.

New beast will soon be on its way up to me from Atlanta on a truck, then the G8 will go back down with them. Long drive. Thought about making it a weekend vacation of sorts, but that's just a lot of miles and "to my door" is so much more attractive.

Yay, Z71 here I come, even if you are missing a certain transfer case...I like it all the better :truck:

Anxious to get my new white beast...

...gotta say, after I randomly found the truck online last Saturday searching within 1000 or so miles for remaining '09s, getting the pictures that day, the interior shots really did it. I've missed having interior color since my G6 & Malibu, other than black. Still not sure on the white, but as when I shopped my Malibu, it's the one shade of no color that I never get tired of and it always looks great on GM trucks. Plus will be less stress to maintain, cooler in the summer, and so on.

Nailed down final details with the finance guy late this afternoon, and getting more excited. Still can't believe I bought such a big thing AND traded my G8 in, over nothing but emails. Incredible. But perfect for me. What a great dealer, too. Short story about it all to come soon, in a new thread.

Finance guy confirmed Sunday is the day, but given the 11'ish hour drive one way, evening seems likely. I wanted tomorrow so I had a day to see it before a week of work, but alas. Tomorrow is prep the G8 day, removing a few things they won't be getting with it and giving it a last bath.

This truck will NOT be modded...especially not like the G8...it's just going to stay as is. My clear bra guy in Philly has already been contacted, however. After the G8 with it, never will another new vehicle be in my possession without. That and Weathertech molded floor liners, already ordered.

But then again, I'm already debating chrome door handles & mirrors, along with a few other GM accessories. Minimal, really. '09 they removed some of the chrome from the Z71 and I think that's a good thing but I also liked it before. It is a Z71 after all.

Edited by caddycruiser

Signs you may have a problem... :AH-HA:

1) You've clicked the "Buying a new car" button so many times on Geico, it's really the only thing you've ever gone online to do there...

2) You email the guy who installs your clear bra protection and he says "because of your track record..." and gives a special discount...

Oh well. Got gap insurance (always a good idea) and a 6 year GMPP warranty on the Av...so...