New car smell...by brand

It is without a doubt that GM makes the best-SMELLING new cars. Check out the smell of an up-level GM brand like Cadillac or Buick, for example. I remember the great smell of our new Cutlass Supremes, so much so that I would get up on weekend mornings, in pajamas, put on a bathrobe, and go SIT IN THEM. I can't explain it...but they smelled new, clean, and neither sweet nor harsh.

I am bringing this up because I just dropped by a Ford dealership this afternoon. I checked out some new Fusion 4s (not buying, just test-sitting). They don't smell that good. They (cloth seat equipped) smell just like a new athletic gear from REI. Kudos for being a great car that got everything right, but they didn't get the smell right.

Same goes for most Japanese cars. They also don't have a good new car smell. Can't comment on Chrysler products, since there are none that interest me.

Your take on this?

Interesting point...that new GM smell always gets me...in a good way.

The Fords, I wonder, if it might be because some have soy or corn based seat foam, etc. and it just naturally isn't as potent, in that typical vinyl sort of way? They kind of smell as they look, GM's fruitier & fresher, especially with the Buick/Cadillac leather aroma, Ford's more austere and gray...if that makes sense :confused0071:

I can't remember what a new Chrysler smells like nowadays anyway either...hmm...

"new car" smell is the the odors coming from the plastics and various materials.

Yep, and toxic, but it still smells good to some of us. Add in certain leathers, which aren't a bad aroma, and it can be really nice.

Yep, and toxic, but it still smells good to some of us. Add in certain leathers, which aren't a bad aroma, and it can be really nice.

I was going to say that, for me, the dividing line seemed to be the type of upholstery. For some reason, those GM luxo-boat cars with plush velour interiors of yesteryear (Cutlass Supreme through 87, Cadillac DeVille and Fleetwood Brougham up until they still had the cloth seats with the Cadillac wreath) all smelled great...a little less so for the leather ones, IMO.

I really didn't notice alot of new car smell in the last few years... even sitting in the new Camaros recently.

Of course, I seem to have something odd about my sense of smell... most days it can be very difficult to smell pleasant things. I can pick up a unpleasant odor a mile away... but most days even strong pleasant odors are just, well, missing. So, I suppose new car smell is still pleasant to me, since its nonexistant to me.

I say 'most days' because clear out of the blue, the pleasant smells return to me for a day or two... then disappear again.