Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Literature: Do You Appreciate it?

NOS2006

How well do you appreciate literature?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you appreciate literature?

• Very much
    • I'm catching onto liking it
    • Depends on what genre it is
    • Not at all

I love to read. At least, I used to. I now read so much technical job-related stuff during the day on top of all the schooling I have had, that I make little time in my free time for more intellectual pursuits. I need to get back into it.

Very rarely does a book come along that I actually enjoy to read... The first and last one was "A Separate Peace". Otherwise... nada. Sad... really, really, quite sad. Oh well... internet forums are the same thing, but actually usually enjoyable. :P

I hate to break this to you, Vipes, but as funny as your ramblings can be, they've got nothing on a good book.

I'm a fan of all genres, classics to sci-fi to weird post-modern $h!.

<--Was an English major, still writes a lot (short stories and the like) and has a good portion of a terrible yet funny novel (think Scary Movie, only funny and in book form and not scary) written. So yeah, I appreciate it, but I'd appreciate it more if I could get motivated to finish something so it makes me money.

Very rarely does a book come along that I actually enjoy to read... The first and last one was "A Separate Peace". Otherwise... nada. Sad... really, really, quite sad. Oh well... internet forums are the same thing, but actually usually enjoyable. :P

Had to read that for school. It was alright, which is good in my case bc I can't stand books. :)

Could you add another level to the poll, as in "can't live without it"?

I love finding new authors, and I have books that I revisit every few years like old friends. I have art and architecture (and car) books that I reference every few weeks just for the joy of it. I read cook books like novels.

I've taken to putting books on CD on my iPod, since I have a commute to work that otherwise would be taken up by the natterings of people into their cell phones. Currently I am listening to David Rackoff's "Fraud".

I hate to break this to you, Vipes, but as funny as your ramblings can be, they've got nothing on a good book.

I'm a fan of all genres, classics to sci-fi to weird post-modern &#036;h&#33;.

I didn't say I didn't appreciate it. Just that... It's hard for me to find a book that actually interests me. So... don't be hatin' on my ramblings! Hater! Dirty... uh... BV rambling hater! :P

Enzora, On The Road is his best known novel, I'd recommend starting with that. It was Kerouac and his buddies that basically started the whole movement that became the 60's Social Revolution.

I just read a good story by Annie Proulx.

Enzora, On The Road is his best known novel, I'd recommend starting with that.  It was Kerouac and his buddies that basically started the whole movement that became the 60's Social Revolution.

I just read a good story by Annie Proulx.

What is On The Road about? My cousin in Italy who is now about 28 or so raved about it. He even named his German Shepherd after a character in this book. Isn't Kerouac and his stuff kind of dour? I heard that, in real life, Kerouac was kind of a mess and that he died young. Please advise.

Any history book about Cars and Airplanes is great literature!

However, for great reading I prefer SciFi. My favorite authors are the older ones:

Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, E.E. "Doc" Smith, Piers Anthony, Isaac Asimov, Steven Donaldson, Harry Harrison, L. Ron Hubbard and a few others.

Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein), the Lensman Series (Doc Smith), and the Stainless Steel Rat Series (Harrison) are some of my favorites.

While it's not going to go down in literature history as one of the all-time greats, I just finished "Vinyl Junkies," a book about record collecting and the collectors. Quite an enjoyable read...for a vinyl junkie.

As for automotive literature, I've enjoyed "All Corvettes are Red" and, my all-time favorite, "Where the Suckers Moon." Excellent behind-the-scenes books about the automotive industry.

Soon as I have unlimited time to lounge around I'll be reading a LOT more. I love to read books/magazines of all kinds but in reality 60% of my reading is all the car magazines I get. (like 7 right now)

Then there's the other 40%, a mix of all things online (75% of that being here on C&G)

I can appreciate a book if it's about a subject I'm interested in. My favorite book of all time is 1984 by George Orwell. A friend of mine got me to read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand and that was a good one as well. For fictional stories, I enjoy Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and H.G. Wells. My favorite fiction book is The Stand by Stephen King, mostly because he has a great sense of imagery when writing a novel.