Camaro Companion (autospies)

99camaroSS

http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?art...8&categoryId=21

Sources tell the Spies that big news could be coming out of GM very soon about the impending confirmation of the Camaro becoming a reality.

So what's new about that?

Not much, but that's not the scoop.

The Spies have learned when they do announce it will be built, they will also mention the return of the Firebird and Trans AM will not be far behind the Camaro.

And why not we say?

Pontiac dealers are desperate for hot product so this makes perfect sense.

As much as I'd love to see the Firebird back, I do not believe this for one second.

Not even if they were to ditch the GTO and bring back the Firebird/Trans Am in its place? That's the only way I would think this has any truth to it.

I dont believe it, but i found it interesting that they would even say that, and thought it needed to be posted

the GTO would have to be dropped for a firebird to come back, otherwise they would be directly competing with eachother.

now mayb they could make the gto a 4door like the charger and then bring back the firebird, but thats dreaming

but the GTO is done anyway...

even if they kept the GTO on its new platform, its perportions are way different then that of the camaro...

the firebird and GTO could co exist... as long as the firebird was also much different from the Camaro...

Edited by Newbiewar

but the GTO is done anyway...

even if they kept the GTO on its new platform, its perportions are way different then that of the camaro...

the firebird and GTO could co exist... as long as the firebird was also much different from the Camaro...

Yes they could co-exist. The Firebird would have a V6, V8, and higher performance V8 models. The GTO would only have one high performance V8 model making them not competition with eachother.

It is a done deal that GM will anounce they are building the Camaro.

But on the Firebird??? Scott S. Fbodfather stated about a month ago that it was not very likley a Firebird was in the mix here. He said he would never rule out a return but in the near term it just was not in the cards.

Unless someone has done something to change what Scott knows I don't expect a Bird. GM has also made it clear they want to get away from overlapping lines and 2 F bodies do just that.

Even if they want to drop the GTO name a upscale BMW coupe would not hurt Camaro sales and give Pontiac what they always wanted a Euro coupe that will run with the BMW and Audi. The Sedan would also compliment a market area GM does not address now in the 3/5 series. The CTS does now but I think it will go even more upscale than the 3 Series.

If Scott is looking on here can you repost your coments on the Firebird? I would think you can help stop this before it gets started like the False Kappa Camaro debate of last year.

I'm wiht you guys... not holding my breath. Besides, let the GTO & Solstice (& hopefuly Kappa variants) have the spotlight for a decade or two. :)

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see any reason for a Firebird/TA. Give Pontiac a new GTO that's upscale like the current one, but offer options such as a sunroof and heated seats that it doesn't have now.

I think it makes more sense to let the Camaro take any bottom-feeder V6 sales and then let the GTO accomodate those people who want a more luxurious vehicle.

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see any reason for a Firebird/TA. Give Pontiac a new GTO that's upscale like the current one, but offer options such as a sunroof and heated seats that it doesn't have now.

I think it makes more sense to let the Camaro take any bottom-feeder V6 sales and then let the GTO accomodate those people who want a more luxurious vehicle.

I'm totally not biased and I definitely agree 100%

Did anyone else notice that quote? I dont know if Hyper is an insider, but if he is this is big news!

OH CAMARO, HOW I MISSED THEE!  :CG_all:  :P  :bowdown:

Get a grip I am not an insider but I listen to People like Scott Settlemire and learn! By listening to him I have learned many insiders know as much as we do and sometimes less.

GM has not anounced but odds are 99.9% that the Camaro is going to be built. The only thing that would stop it is a unforseen major event at GM or world event.

I think you will find the Camaro was decided before Detroit internally. For GM to build a show car and not build it would have done more damage to GM than anything else they have done in the past. Even though some may want to think it Wagoner, Lutz and Welborn are not that stupid. The car was shown with the full intent to build it.

A lot of things had to fall into place before the Camaro could return and they are all coming together now. Scott said he plans to write a book on what they have had to go through to get the Camaro back. I am sure it will show who the hero's are.