Driving at night...

ocnblu

Has anyone noticed the proliferation of round, red taillights on vehicles these days? No matter the outward shape of the lens, the lit part is increasingly the same on so many vehicles nowadays. Everything from a Hyundai Elantra to a Chrysler 300 has these same, round illuminations when seen at night. BORING!

Taillights are a big issue with me. Automakers seem to be at a loss as to how to create a unique looking taillight setup. It really makes you appreciate cars like the Deville, Corvette, and even the last Impala....even at night, you knew what you were following.

The double lenses on the tail lamps of my Buick Skyhawk created an amazing effect, there was the general illumination, the lenses created a ray-like effect with the lighting, sort of lasery, you know?

Has anyone noticed the proliferation of round, red taillights on vehicles these days?

*nods*

Yeah, I have ... and found it quite ironic that this happened _about_ the same time Chevrolet had decided to use round taillights on all their cars ... to distinguish themselves and, more or less, "imitate" the Corvette...heh. Irony rocks ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"It's coming down to nothing more than apathy" ... The Fray ... 'Over My Head'

You know, Ocn... I was just thinking about this. Technically, it's the same for headlights, too. Well, I'm probably the only idiot that looks into headlights of oncoming cars... :P

That's one thing I love about 5th gen GAs. You will NEVER mistake it for another car. No way, no how... unless you're blind and retarded. Compare that to the G6... which is just another Camcord in comparision. Still, I do see headlights being designed in ways that make them more unique and noticeable at night. Not GM, though. They're still WAY behind in lighting. Talk about outdated... Anyways, a variety of types of lighting, colors, and configuration of the elements is how I see this being done.

Anyways, am I the only one that loves driving at night? :D

That's one thing I love about 5th gen GAs. You will NEVER mistake it for another car. No way, no how... unless you're blind and retarded.

When I drive the Bonnie, people often tell me what a nice Grand Am it is. That's big for a Grand Am. Never seen those wheels on a Grand Am. I rented a Grand Am like that once. One kid at college even said to me his Grand Am could beat my Grand Am because he put some "wicked mods" on it.

Yeah.

If those mods include a Pratt & Whitney turbine.

When I drive the Bonnie, people often tell me what a nice Grand Am it is. That's big for a Grand Am. Never seen those wheels on a Grand Am. I rented a Grand Am like that once. One kid at college even said to me his Grand Am could beat my Grand Am because he put some "wicked mods" on it.

Yeah.

If those mods include a Pratt & Whitney turbine.

*whispers* Psst... some people are f**king morons... :D

Great reason why those semi-square angry looking tail lights of the Camaro concept must make it to production untouched.

It really makes you appreciate cars like     even the last Impala....even at night, you knew what you were following.

Z, I usually see your point, but not this time. I thought this was one of the ugliest rear panels and grilles ever (though better than the bathtub RWD mid 90s Impala). Thank God for the current freshening.

I agree to some extent. However, keep in mind that the effect is beyond the lens. The lens design itself may be unique and more flattering during the day when you will probably concentrate on the design of the lens ... and not the red circles behind it. Also, keep in mind that someone did research on perceptions. Red circles may be akin the red traffic signals, and thus grab your attention more than another geometry.

Edited by trinacriabob