I think I've lost my GD mind.......

Yep, I think it's gone.

Outside sits an 06 Saturn Ion. Blue. Might want to keep it.

WTF?confused0071.gif

The guy that has ripped these huge for years?

The story: Wife's Cavalier is getting some work done to prepare for (back brakes/brushings/new back rim) for our vacation. So I borrowed a buddy's ION for a few days. Whole family got to use it. Kid even hit it a few times!

The more I thought about it-the more I thought it might be a good replacement for the Cav. Nothing fancy, but it does the simple things well. Wife does not want a new car, knowing that 1)new cars cost money 2) my knowledge of car maintaince/cars in general. It fits in a few ways:

It's plastic- This thing is going to get beat up around here. Not to mentioned beat up by my kid. Won't rust either, which means it might last here a few winters.......

Carrys the Ecotec- Means the darn thing will pretty much run forever. My wife is not easy on cars-and her Eco 2.2 has been flawless. (I helped, of coursemetal.gif ) Rust is going to kill this thing long before the drivetrain does.....

And after driving it a few days, you really get used to center stack (still annoying, though)

I've always loved the S series, and I think it is starting to creep on to the ION. Could be a great family beater, combined with the resale value.

Must be old age kicking in.....unsure.gif

It would be an OK car if bought for a good price IMO. The Ecotec and more room were a big plus, but some other things just seemed cheaper made on the ION even when compared to the S-series.

True. She won't mind the "cheaper" look. Heck, she drives a Cavalier now....neenerneener.gif

Just a point A to B car is all she wants....

An basic ION with the 2.2 and 4T40-E would probably be fairly reliable. It might still develop the same suspension ailments the Cobalt can be known for, and preventative replacing of the ignition switch (a fairly cheap part) might be a good idea.

The power window mechanisms were kind of junky on them, despite the fact that they were made by Denso so they should just ooze Toyota quality. :rolleyes: I would be very afraid of the '03-'04 coupe with the VTi automatic as well.

The Cobalt does have $h! power windows that's for sure. This is something I've noticed go down in quality in recent years in GM Vehicles. My buddy's old 1996 Olds 88 has nicer working power windows than my own Impala or even the 2008 DTS I drove last summer.

An basic ION with the 2.2 and 4T40-E would probably be fairly reliable. It might still develop the same suspension ailments the Cobalt can be known for, and preventative replacing of the ignition switch (a fairly cheap part) might be a good idea.

The power window mechanisms were kind of junky on them, despite the fact that they were made by Denso so they should just ooze Toyota quality. rolleyes.gif I would be very afraid of the '03-'04 coupe with the VTi automatic as well.

Oh, I'm not touching those 03s and 04s...those CVTs were pure crap.

I'm thinking suspension upgrades would be nice........

I figure regardless, there is going to be some money put into it.....

The Cobalt does have $h! power windows that's for sure. This is something I've noticed go down in quality in recent years in GM Vehicles. My buddy's old 1996 Olds 88 has nicer working power windows than my own Impala or even the 2008 DTS I drove last summer.

Crank windows FTW!

Actually, you're a good guy to ask. How do you like yours?

I like the 2.4L (enhanced performance pkg) ION more then the 2.2L ION ......... that said the three 2007's that live at my house have all been in for the right rear power window going inop. Two of the three had the fuel pump recall. While the center pod looks odd it works out real well. Driving to and from work I'm getting nearly 30 mpg on average over the life of the car.

I don't have my mileage book with me so I did not post the exact number.

2007 ION-3 2.4L white

2007 ION-3 2.4L grey

2007 ION-3 2.2L silver

Edited by RjION

I like the 2.4L (enhanced performance pkg) ION more then the 2.2L ION ......... that said the three 2007's that live at my house have all been in for the right rear power window going inop. Two of the three had the fuel pump recall. While the center pod looks odd it works out real well. Driving to and from work I'm getting nearly 30 mpg on average over the life of the car.

I don't have my mileage book with me so I did not post the exact number.

2007 ION-3 2.4L white

2007 ION-3 2.4L grey

2007 ION-3 2.2L silver

That's good to know...so for the most part they are pretty steady then. My buddy's ION looks good, and well cared for. (though he beats on it sometimes) . Knock on wood, no issues for him yet (61k so far). One thing he suggested is that to go synthetic in the ATF and motor oil. He said that it seems to bring out the best in the car. Not, sure if you do it, though it does sound like a plan. All my current cars run synthetic oil, and my cav will switch to a full syn ATF (Valvolone Dex VI).

If I do go ION, I;d go with the last few years (06,07). Guessing a 2 or 3 package, as I'm sure she would like some toys to play with. A 2.4 will be a good choice too...

Amen to the power windows. One strange thing I've noticed with mine - the passenger side one is much slower than the driver's. It's getting ridiculous - slower as it gets older. It takes about 15 seconds to close now.

I have the EXACT same problem in my Cobalt and the same thing was going on in my G5.

I have the EXACT same problem in my Cobalt and the same thing was going on in my G5.

Spray some silicone oil in the window tracks from the door sill down, make sure to shake the can as it separates from the propellant. Done yearly will make the motor & mechanism last much longer :2cents:

That's good to know...so for the most part they are pretty steady then. My buddy's ION looks good, and well cared for. (though he beats on it sometimes) . Knock on wood, no issues for him yet (61k so far). One thing he suggested is that to go synthetic in the ATF and motor oil. He said that it seems to bring out the best in the car.

I do the same with my VUE. May be overkill for such a vehicle but it runs great I can't recall ever having to add any oil in over 94K so far. Works better IMO in the manual trans. used in both cars as well but the slave cylinder is more the weaker spot there, mine has so far been OK (knock on wood).

I do the same with my VUE. May be overkill for such a vehicle but it runs great I can't recall ever having to add any oil in over 94K so far. Works better IMO in the manual trans. used in both cars as well but the slave cylinder is more the weaker spot there, mine has so far been OK (knock on wood).

Vues are good too....

I've enjoyed mine. Just like the ION, a decent overall package but could have had some better parts in a few places. And of course some examples of each featured the crappy embarrassment that was the VTi.

The QC is the only one to come with the vti and it didn't last long. Oh and yes they are a very steady car

Edited by RjION