Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Are we ever going to get a G6 GXP?

No... a Turbo 2.8L V6 would be better than an LS4... :rolleyes::P:D

Anyways, I wonder this too. The GTP isn't good enough and I never thought of GTP as the highest trim. A GXP makes sense. I say, for 2007, the G6 lineup should include a GXP while all G6s receive and refresh. And I'm making a proposal for it, too, damnit. I'm getting sick of GM...

LS4 baby!!!

That had poped in my head the other day, but then I doubt it since it's in the top of the line Grand Prix that's a higher model. And then there's also the added weight. And even if it does happen, I can see GM only releasing it wtih only automatic even though there's been a 6 speed manual transmission for it :angry:

No... a Turbo 2.8L V6 would be better than an LS4... :rolleyes::P:D

But a naturally aspired V8 (with some aftermarket mufflers, flowmaster, magnaflow, slp, ect.) would sound soooooooo much better than a pidly turbo 2.8 :P

A turbo 2.8 would be a waste. It would have only 20hp more than the GTP. At least give it a turbo 3.6L, or the direct injection 3.6 that is supposed to have around 305-310hp.

With power ratings like that, anyone know the weight/size differences between the Twin Cam 3.6L V6 and the LS4 5.3L V8? Also, unless GM bumps up the power on the LS4, I don't see a G6 GXP getting more power than the Grand Prix GXP (even though it will be gone and replaced in time).

With power ratings like that, anyone know the weight/size differences between the Twin Cam 3.6L V6 and the LS4 5.3L V8?  Also, unless GM bumps up the power on the LS4, I don't see a G6 GXP getting more power than the Grand Prix GXP (even though it will be gone and replaced in time).

The V8 probably doesn't weigh much more, but the transmission would likely be alot heavier to handle the additional torque. The G6 GXP should be made more powerful than the GP GXP right now, since the GP is on it's way out, and hopefully will be replaced with the rwd G8 with the rumored 330hp 5.3L.

But a naturally aspired V8 (with some aftermarket mufflers, flowmaster, magnaflow, slp, ect.) would sound soooooooo much better than a pidly turbo 2.8 :P

Yes, but a souped up V6 is sooooooo much more invigorating. :D

Actually a 2.8 Turbo makes production sense. It can be shared with the Saab 9-3 Aero.

T'was what I was thinking.

A turbo 2.8 would be a waste. It would have only 20hp more than the GTP. At least give it a turbo 3.6L, or the direct injection 3.6 that is supposed to have around 305-310hp.

Direct Injection as well as other methods to get more power out it. That and in my own little word, the 3.9L would *zap* disappear with the 3.5L in favor of DOHC V6s. A turbo 3.6L would be nice, but it is only a FWD vehicle. Too much power and torque steer will be a major problem, no matter what advancements GM has made in this area.

Direct injection 2.8 litre turbo would fit the car's market and make it fairly zippy like the MazdaSpeed 6

Ding, ding, ding! T'was also what I was thinking. V8s and higher displacement V6s are bad. :P

A turbo 3.6L would be nice, but it is only a FWD vehicle. Too much power and torque steer will be a major problem, no matter what advancements GM has made in this area.

Um...considering the advances GM has made in reigning in torque steer, I don't see a problem. Anything from a s/c 3800 to a GP GXP is very composed even under heavy acceleration. Acura and Nissan could learn a thing or three

Um...considering the advances GM has made in reigning in torque steer, I don't see a problem. Anything from a s/c 3800 to a GP GXP is very composed even under heavy acceleration. Acura and Nissan could learn a thing or three

You don't understand what I'm thinking... a turbo 3.6L with D.I., to me, would have much more horsepower than the 5.3L (303hp) in the the GP (like atleast 340hp). Factor it in with a manual transmission... and yeah, torque steer would be a problem. With an auto it would be acceptable, but in a performance oriented trim... what autos? In my world, that is. :D Again, though, GM's auto trannies help to reduce torque steer. Take that away and even with the other things GM has done to reduce torque steer, it's not going to be unnoticeable and composed. One obvious thing is to ask yourself what's the most hp on any FWD GM car with a manual tranny. I'm pretty sure it's the Saab 9-3 with the 2.8L turbo and last time I checked, torque steer was a complaint in reviews. Hell, considering my torqueless-feeling 150hp and ~145lb/ft Quad4 with a 5spd had noticeable torque steer... Yeah. Edited by blackviper8891

...Factor it in with a manual transmission... and yeah, torque steer would be a problem. With an auto it would be acceptable, but in a performance oriented trim... what autos? In my world, that is. :D Again, though, GM's auto trannies help to reduce torque steer. Take that away and even with the other things GM has done to reduce torque steer, it's not going to be unnoticeable and composed....

What I really want to see is GM come up with something like BMW's SMG or Audi's DSG, a performance oriented manumatic, but make it exclusive to Pontiac high performance vehicles, and maybe Cadillacs as well.

Heck, if Bimmer can do it, why not GM? GM's transmission division shouldn't be bad. Those guys from Bavaria charge a heck of money for that transmission on the M3 you know...

Just if Pontiac can manage to get some vehicle to go straight at the M3 performance-wise, but at a much lower price. (I'm getting unrealistic here)

Edited by ToniCipriani

You don't understand what I'm thinking... a turbo 3.6L with D.I., to me, would have much more horsepower than the 5.3L (303hp) in the the GP (like atleast 340hp). Factor it in with a manual transmission... and yeah, torque steer would be a problem. With an auto it would be acceptable, but in a performance oriented trim... what autos? In my world, that is. :D Again, though, GM's auto trannies help to reduce torque steer. Take that away and even with the other things GM has done to reduce torque steer, it's not going to be unnoticeable and composed. One obvious thing is to ask yourself what's the most hp on any FWD GM car with a manual tranny. I'm pretty sure it's the Saab 9-3 with the 2.8L turbo and last time I checked, torque steer was a complaint in reviews. Hell, considering my torqueless-feeling 150hp and ~145lb/ft Quad4 with a 5spd had noticeable torque steer... Yeah.

My Grand Prix now has about 310 ft/lbs of torque, and the car doesn't even pull AT ALL under full throttle. I dont need to keep 2 hands on the wheel, and actually, I haven't tried it, but I bet it would go straight even if I wasn't holding the wheel. Also, doesn't the 2.8L have the same physical dimensions as the 3.6L? It's like comparing the LS4 to an LS2, which one would you rather have?

My Grand Prix now has about 310 ft/lbs of torque, and the car doesn't even pull AT ALL under full throttle. I dont need to keep 2 hands on the wheel, and actually, I haven't tried it, but I bet it would go straight even if I wasn't holding the wheel. Also, doesn't the 2.8L have the same physical dimensions as the 3.6L? It's like comparing the LS4 to an LS2, which one would you rather have?

Take your eyes... direct them to the right and down. Look at the center console... now the thing sticking up out of it. Think hard about whether it has a button like thing coming out of the knob... also about what direction(s) it goes. Now, do you think you have an automatic, which is a big reason for GM's FWDers not having considerable torque steer, or a manual, which usually can't restrict any torque steer evidenced by T2.8L in the Saab 9-3? Tell me that and then decide whether your post is relevant at all. Thanks or your cooperation.

As for the 2.8L vs. the 3.6L... You must understand how I think. Bigger is not always better to me. There is also a such thing as too much to me. In the case of these two engines, I'd just rather turbocharge and give DI to the 2.8L than the 3.6L. It's not a matter of dimensions, just personal preference. Am I weird? Yes, but I like it that way. :D

Not necessarily. LS4 is adapted for FWD and LS2 for RWD. The 2.8L and 3.6L HFs differ in bore dimensions.

That had poped in my head the other day, but then I doubt it since it's in the top of the line Grand Prix that's a higher model. And then there's also the added weight. And even if it does happen, I can see GM only releasing it wtih only automatic even though there's been a 6 speed manual transmission for it :angry:

Yeah, but would it fit in an Epsilon?

They need to thoroughly re-engineer the six-speed shifter first. It's the clunkiest shifter I've sampled in recent memory, and I drive dozens of cars a year. A total disgrace.

I'm with those who'd like to see a smooth, free-revving six paired with a good shifter. They need to truly fix the handling while they're at it. Even with the hydraulic steering the car feels heavy and lifeless.

They need to thoroughly re-engineer the six-speed shifter first. It's the clunkiest shifter I've sampled in recent memory, and I drive dozens of cars a year. A total disgrace.

I'm with those who'd like to see a smooth, free-revving six paired with a good shifter. They need to truly fix the handling while they're at it. Even with the hydraulic steering the car feels heavy and lifeless.

did your sample have the HEAVY panaramic sunroof? that adds a lot of top heavy weight to the car