07 Tahoe Rants and Raves

toesuf94

I want to say that I have no 'rants' on the 07 - all Raves so far, but thought that this would be a great place to open a discussion for other members to learn about the new Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades. Help the General move some inventory with some facts that people are not learning in the current advertising ( which is dismal by the way )

Let me start by saying that we are having a snow storm here in Iowa this morning. So I got to drive the Tahoe on Ice this morning. It was unbelievable - even with the 20-inch wheels. The Stabilitrak really does everything to keep the truck pointed straight, the anti-locks work quietly and less obtrusively that the previous trucks and the thing handles like it is on rails on the ice. The drive felt like the roads were dry versus the ice I was actually on. Turned the TC button to the off - she drives like our '95 - spin 'em if ya got 'em. So a marked improvement has been made over the previous trucks. Mileage in 4x4 was 15 running E-85.

Now, the heated washer fluid we have been hearing so much about in the Buick commercials...well, it is on my Tahoe. I thought WTF? Why? Well, after driving a bit in the snow and sleet, some build up started to form on the wipers...pushed the button and the system melted all of the build up off of the wipers and the left side of the windshield. Pretty cool now that I tried it. Glad it is there.

Power flip seats...cool now that I realize that putting the kids in jail - the third seat - is as easy as pushing a button. So I like them now.

There are little things everywhere - like the auto start that automaticly heats your seats when the temp is below freezing...the quick tap to change lanes and the signals blink a few time to warn others...the one touch open and close of the sunroof...neat little things that I find every day.

So, let's hear some other opinions on the new Tahoe/Yukon - or if you have questions - post them here. I am out to beat the drum to help the General move these things...they are too damned good to pass over while looking at other cars/trucks.

my only problem with them is the flip and fold seats... if your sitting in the seat, it will still try to flip and it hurts my back...

the sensor is in the back of the seat, and i usually lean forward whenever i'm in the back of a car, so my back isnt against the seat, thus it doesnt know i'm there...

other then that.... i havent any complaints...

you got the E85 capable one?

and you got the G80 with the 4x4? haha that things got to have some sweet traction then!

my only problem with them is the flip and fold seats... if your sitting in the seat, it will still try to flip and it hurts my back...

the sensor is in the back of the seat, and i usually lean forward whenever i'm in the back of a car, so my back isnt against the seat, thus it doesnt know i'm there...

other then that.... i havent any complaints...

you got the E85 capable one?

and you got the G80 with the 4x4?  haha that things got to have some sweet traction then!

Yeah, mine is an E85 unit and the 4x4 LT3 with everything but autoride, which is only on the LTZ. Which you know as you are a dealer.

The flip and fold is odd that it will try it with a human in it...I do worry about that with the kids...i.e. somebody in the 3rd seat decides to press the button on the person in the second row...that could be an 'ouch'.

I've had my LTZ for a month now and love it. Really cant think of any complaints except for one thing. My leg allways hits the 4x4 knob and turn it usually into auto or sometimes 4 high. Seems like every time I look down its out of 2 wheel drive. I sit pretty close so maybe thats why.

I love the touch screen nav/radio and DVD player. Now I just need to find a way to make it so the DVD will play out of park.

Now I don't own it, haven't even driven one or played around with all the features. But so far my only complaint is that front knee room isn't all it could be (or is in the '95-'99). My 6'5" brother-in-law sat in it at the CAS, and his knees hit the dash--even with the seat all the way back. That didn't happen when he drove my dad's '99, or even when he sat in the Murano. Strange, seems like an easy fix (it was fine for me at 6' even, though). Otherwise, it really is an amazing truck.

Just returned from two days of almost continuous driving on a trip to Sprinfield, MO and back - 900 miles round...I came away even more impressed. The infortainment systems and Nav are awesome...and the On Star phone system is cool as all get out! Just say 'Dial' and it asks you for the number - say the number listen to the repeat by the computer - then it dials...great service. :thumbsup:

Now - for the important stuff: This truck really handles much better than it should, the brakes are steller and the motor just keeps getting better and better - the intake growl under hard accelleration is sooooooo sexy ...and does it hustle!!! 66-90 + is a blink. I took some back roads through MO - stuff that would be fun in my Vette - found myself laughing as I tossed her from corner to corner. It has the 20-inch wheels on it - and they just stick! Also, the nervouseness of the old truck on uneven pavement or washboarding is gone. Overall came away thinking -" If I did not see the Bowtie in the steering wheel - I would seriously think I was in a Bimmer!" :P

Minor complaint - unless I am missing something - there is no telescoping steering collumn in my truck - I feel like the top of the steering wheel is too far away for 10 and 2 driving.

good thread. the tahoe sounds wonderful to own. this thread is a one of a kind of c&g---positive ownership experience for a product people are actually excited about! yeah tahoe....this is such a great product, there will surely be more people adding positive comments as long as it stays current.

For those who have the rear entertainment system in the new Tahoe:

Is there a separate DVD player in the back, or is there only one in the dash?

Can you operate the NAV and play a DVD movie at the same time?

thanks

yes... the nav DVD goes behind the screen... the DVD goes above the screen... but unfortuantly you cant play a CD and DVD at the same time... i think you can in the escalade, but not in the tahoe... not sure about the GMC...

The DVD always goes into the dash to keep kids controll away if need be... their is also a remote, that can be taken away access from the dash setup... so if the kids are fooling around, the parents can take control...

the NAV/DVD system is super. Throw the headphones on the kids and let them Find Nemo while I enjoy the Bose system belting out my favorite XM satelite Radio...and to be able to control it from the front is very nice for the wife - she simply reaches over and hits the buttons. So slick.

Also, for those who have not had the chance to try the On Star phone system - it is worth the few dollars to have. Just talk to the truck and it dials the number for you. Worked great in the middle of nowhere Missouri this week when I was out of cell range.

I cannot get enough of the truck. I cannot wait to drive it again. :pbjtime:

the NAV/DVD system is super.  Throw the headphones on the kids and let them Find Nemo while I enjoy the Bose system belting out my favorite XM satelite Radio...and to be able to control it from the front is very nice for the wife - she simply reaches over and hits the buttons.  So slick.

Also, for those who have not had the chance to try the On Star phone system - it is worth the few dollars to have.  Just talk to the truck and it dials the number for you.  Worked great in the middle of nowhere Missouri this week when I was out of cell range. 

I cannot get enough of the truck.  I cannot wait to drive it again. :pbjtime:

yes the cellular strength of the On Star is 6 times stronger then a hand held cell phone... but dont be fooled, there are places that onstar wont have cellular service... Dealerships are getting sued over this because salespeople are letting consumers think that it works anywhere in the USA... and thats not always accurate

yes the cellular strength of the On Star is 6 times stronger then a hand held cell phone... but dont be fooled, there are places that onstar wont have cellular service...  Dealerships are getting sued over this because salespeople are letting consumers think that it works anywhere in the USA... and thats not always accurate

ah yes. the land of free speech and the right to sue anyone for anything.

i received word today that the Tahoe sold 3500 units from the 13th to the end of January...and that the number had already been exceeded by the end of the second week of February. I would like to know how that compared to the last roll out...I will ask him and post what he tells me in the morning. Newbiewar, how are they moving at your dealership?

I was surprised at the fact that there are three Yukon's and one Escalade STILL at the dealer by me...not exactly flying off the lot. After seeing them, I think the Tahoe is the best looking of the trio. Liked the dash over the one in the Escalade...full instrumentation is not available in the Caddy...it is in my Tahoe.

newbie, how would you say the new tahoes are doing at your dealer?

i received word today that the Tahoe sold 3500 units from the 13th to the end of January...and that the number had already been exceeded by the end of the second week of February.  I would like to know how that compared to the last roll out...I will ask him and post what he tells me in the morning.  Newbiewar, how are they moving at your dealership?

I was surprised at the fact that there are three Yukon's and one Escalade STILL at the dealer by me...not exactly flying off the lot.  After seeing them, I think the Tahoe is the best looking of the trio.  Liked the dash over the one in the Escalade...full instrumentation is not available in the Caddy...it is in my Tahoe.

well having i think the largest volume of them in the country (we've already received 150 or so) ... up until about 2 weeks ago i would have to say the vehicle was a flop...

since those two weeks... they are selling unbelieveably well...

we have probably sold in february 4 times the amount we sold in january so far...

personally i've sold 3 in the last 2 weeks... but only 3... so as you can imagine i wouldnt consider them a great seller up until a few weeks ago

but we still dont have the inventory that i would like to see... only like 4 LTZ's in stock, the lighter color interiors appear to be TOO light... and they stain easy, so easy in fact there is one with stained seats already (cloth of course) the leather, take your preference... but the cashmier and the dark titanium both seem to be a bit too light on the cloth, and the ebony is too dark for some.

personnaly i like the cashmier seats with the ebony trim... :yes:

i'm not sure if the lift gates were recalled, but the original shipment were all reprogrammed for some reasons(i think because it took like 5 seconds for the lift gate to start opening or something and they changed it to imediately after you touch it), my fellow salesmen have already had 4 or so in service for the side cladling not being 100% secured...

some people have complained about how the roof isnt hard... you can push on the carpet roof stuff and it will flex... expecially around the sunroof, the housing seems to be kinda poorly designed, looks like the plastic thing is just hanging there...

some minor things that many people forgo first year products anyway...

but also on the 06 tahoes... we've got... maybe 15 left over... still in relitively high demand some people prefer the exterior on those... (i cant believe some of the stupid dealerships still have 05's...) i hate incompetance, these dealerships sell their vehicles almost at a premium just so they sit around and wait for bigger rebates so they can get nice profits on a few units... stupid dealerships

Edited by Newbiewar

I have the Ebony seats with light Titanium from the dash up. The rest is black. It is very tasteful and - yes it shows the dust - it seems to be holding up to the kids doing the in and outs. I have not had anything fall off - even in sub-zero temps, and have not noticed the headliner issue that you mentioned. Now I will have to look.

By the way - noticed something cool today - when you have XM sellected on the nav screen, there is a large XM in the backround - yeah, I know, whoopie...but I found it kind of cool.

Still quiet as a mouse inside and out. Starting to see them on the road here now. I am sure they will start moving more and more as public gets more information on them.

As for the good deal on the '06 and '05's...still would do that for my wife if she wanted them...but she wants the Uplander LT AWD. Silver over ebony for her as well. :rolleyes:

I have the Ebony seats with light Titanium from the dash up.  The rest is black.  It is very tasteful and - yes it shows the dust - it seems to be holding up to the kids doing the in and outs. I have not had anything fall off - even in sub-zero temps, and have not noticed the headliner issue that you mentioned.  Now I will have to look.

By the way - noticed something cool today - when you have XM sellected on the nav screen, there is a large XM in the backround - yeah, I know, whoopie...but I found it kind of cool.

Still quiet as a mouse inside and out.  Starting to see them on the road here now. I am sure they will start moving more and more as public gets more information on them.

As for the good deal on the '06 and '05's...still would do that for my wife if she wanted them...but she wants the Uplander LT AWD.  Silver over ebony for her as well. :rolleyes:

at least someone wants those uplanders ours just sit here and get old... i really think those vehicles ought to be canned...

yea they are nice drives... thats for sure... i cant wait for the next generation tahoe to make this one look like an antique... haha should i be expecting another 14 year cycle?

at least someone wants those uplanders ours just sit here and get old... i really think those vehicles ought to be canned...

yea they are nice drives... thats for sure... i cant wait for the next generation tahoe to make this one look like an antique... haha should i be expecting another 14 year cycle?

Yeah...the Uplander. Umm... :stupid:

The build quality on the last gen vans ('97-04) was SO bad, those things still worry me even though the interiors are mostly gorgeous, especially on the Buick. With the 3.5L they're also quite a bit underpowered, but at least there's now a 3.9L option...even if not available on the AWD's which need it the most. But, at the same time, there seems to be a lot of common electrical and assembly bugs to this day, even on the new ones. ^_^

As for the Tahoe, I wonder what the next one will be like too...especially after the full GMT-900 line gets out for a bit and GM gets some real world feedback. Planning for the next model should actually start in about a year, truth be told, but it'll then be several more years before anything new materializes and starts being discussed.

Edited by caddycruiser

As for the Tahoe, I wonder what the next one will be like too...especially after the full GMT-900 line gets out for a bit and GM gets some real world feedback.  Planning for the next model should actually start in about a year, truth be told, but it'll then be several more years before anything new materializes and starts being discussed.

speaking of that, how long did it take them to develop the GMT900? when did they start? obviously Lutz was on the team by then...

these trucks are awesome... i love to drive them!!! but i'm not a SUV guy, so i probably wont be getting one, i think my next vehicle will be a crew cab kodiak... lol if that isnt big enough i dont know what will be :pokeowned:

speaking of that, how long did it take them to develop the GMT900? when did they start? obviously Lutz was on the team by then...

these trucks are awesome... i love to drive them!!! but i'm not a SUV guy, so i probably wont be getting one, i think my next vehicle will be a crew cab kodiak... lol if that isnt big enough i dont know what will be  :pokeowned:

Good question. I would *say* around 2001/2002, mainly because once a new design launches, most automakers start at least the planning stages for the next gen about 6-12 months later. Not that there's anything concrete at that time, or even a full design, but the basic planning and "what do we want to do" stages do get started.

A perfect example of this is the Impala: they just launched the redesigned '06 model last summer, but it's already been in the news for about a month that designs for the next gen are already complete, one if FWD and one if RWD, they just are trying to figure out once and for all which they are going to choose.

But yeah, I wonder when these new ones were actually started and, if not from the start, when Lutz came in.

so should I wait and get her an Outlook/Enclave since the Uplander is not so good?

I'd say so. The vans aren't terrible, but they're definately not great either...and the poor sales only show part of it.

There's not even a remote comparison to your new Tahoe in overall feel and refinement, but it is a cheaper minivan so that's to be expected...at least to a degree.

Still drive one, but be a bit leary...

so should I wait and get her an Outlook/Enclave since the Uplander is not so good?

well its your decision most people dont like the way it looks... its a minivan, that isnt quine mini...

Good question.  I would *say* around 2001/2002, mainly because once a new design launches, most automakers start at least the planning stages for the next gen about 6-12 months later.  Not that there's anything concrete at that time, or even a full design, but the basic planning and "what do we want to do" stages do get started.

A perfect example of this is the Impala: they just launched the redesigned '06 model last summer, but it's already been in the news for about a month that designs for the next gen are already complete, one if FWD and one if RWD, they just are trying to figure out once and for all which they are going to choose.

But yeah, I wonder when these new ones were actually started and, if not from the start, when Lutz came in.

but the Tahoes 00-06 Tahoes arent new, its the same damn thing as the 92-99 models. just a good refresh.

so we are looking at a good 7 year cycle?

I would bank on it ( Long product cycle) - unless GM is actually going to mimic the other makers (BMW, Honda, Toyota, - you know - the 'good guys' according to the automotive press :P ) in both quality AND product improvement...in which case I would say that you will be seeing a refresh at least every few years, at least I hope so. The quality is there on the Tahoe...just wondering how long til it is 'differentiated' from it's current design.

Look how ludicris that statement is: The truck has been on market for what 33 days, and we are already asking about the replacement...sick. We are all warped in the head.

well its your decision most people dont like the way it looks... its a minivan, that isnt quine mini...

but the Tahoes 00-06 Tahoes arent new, its the same damn thing as the 92-99 models. just a good refresh.

so we are looking at a good 7 year cycle?

ACTUALLY, besides from a bit of resemblence (like the overall "square" dash and outside theme), there's NOTHING the same between a '92-99 model and a '00-06. If anything, the new '07+ share quite a bit with the '00-06....but not the other way around. Matter of fact, as terrific as they are, the '07s do really have a lot about them that appears like a much dressed up last gen model...think dimensions, seating, interior space and shaping, rear suspension and powertrains, etc.

Frame was all new, suspension was all new, steering all new, brakes all new, styling all new (albeit still familiar), etc. Not exactly "the same damn thing". I don't even know how you could make such a comment... :stupid:

As for the Uplander, you work at a dealer, what do you REALLY think, aside from styling? Still a rattly old paint can like Venture, or is there actually a significant difference?

Edited by caddycruiser

:blink: work...and the prospect of back roading to find maybe a pretty cool car hiding somewhere...saw a few that I should have stopped to talk about. 59 Impala  2 Dr hardtop...a few 2nd gen Camaros...a first gen Monte...I am a sick sick boy when it comes to cars. :(

Haha...sounds EXACTLY like how I spend my weekends when I'm at home :AH-HA_wink:

ACTUALLY, besides from a bit of resemblence (like the overall "square" dash and outside theme), there's NOTHING the same between a '92-99 model and a '00-06.  If anything, the new '07+ share quite a bit with the '00-06....but not the other way around.  Matter of fact, as terrific as they are, the '07s do really have a lot about them that appears like a much dressed up last gen model...think dimensions, seating, interior space and shaping, rear suspension and powertrains, etc.

Frame was all new, suspension was all new, steering all new, brakes all new, styling all new (albeit still familiar), etc.  Not exactly "the same damn thing".  I don't even know how you could make such a comment... :stupid:

As for the Uplander, you work at a dealer, what do you REALLY think, aside from styling?  Still a rattly old paint can like Venture, or is there actually a significant difference?

how do you not see the similaritys... perhaps i'm wrong but... they look like its just a warmed over version to me...

Posted Image

Posted Image

:blink: work...and the prospect of back roading to find maybe a pretty cool car hiding somewhere...saw a few that I should have stopped to talk about. 59 Impala  2 Dr hardtop...a few 2nd gen Camaros...a first gen Monte...I am a sick sick boy when it comes to cars. :(

well since you made a 900 mile drive did you calculate your fuel ecconomy? or did you notice what the average fuel ecconomy was on the dash?

how do you not see the similaritys... perhaps i'm wrong but... they look like its just a warmed over version to me...

Posted Image

Posted Image

well since you made a 900 mile drive did you calculate your fuel ecconomy? or did you notice what the average fuel ecconomy was on the dash?

Like I said, there's similarities in the overall presense and style, but they do NOT share much of anything, except for the names. Same way any typical old gen compares to a new gen of the same model...completely different, but a somewhat familiar look.

I know what you're talking about, as far as the overall look inside and out, but there's a lot more to a car than the looks...like the frame, suspension, powertrains, etc., which are all completely different in this case.

The new '07s are the biggest departure they've ever had from before, no doubt, but the overall stance and demeanor is a lot closer to the '00-06 models, at least outside, then the old '90s gen are to them.

• 8 months later...

I've had my LTZ for a month now and love it.  Really cant think of any complaints except for one thing.  My leg allways hits the 4x4 knob and turn it usually into auto or sometimes 4 high.  Seems like every time I look down its out of 2 wheel drive.  I sit pretty close so maybe thats why.

I love the touch screen nav/radio and DVD player.  Now I just need to find a way to make it so the DVD will play out of park.

94725[/snapback]

ok before i give you the informaion you are looking for can you drive you hoe on the freeway and exit on to a ramp as you get on feeter does the icon on the navi screen follow you as you get on the feeter hope this makes sence what im asking you or anyone els with an o7 tahoe is if the icon on the naviagtion screen

exits the freeway at the same time you tahoe exits or does it still think you are on the freeway. the reason i ask this is because my o7 lt3 fully loaded except the air ride when im on 45 and i exit 45 onto feeter it thinks im still on 45 hey does your tahoe do this can you please check

ok here is the good news

DVD NAVIGATION OVER RIDE YOU CAN WATCH DVD MOVIES WHILE IN DRIVE ON THE ROAD AND SCROLL XM OR INPUT AN ADRESS IN NAVI

YOU CAN UNLOCK THESE FEATURES BUT ITS GOING TO COST YA BUT ITS WORTH IT TRUST ME IT IS

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

ENJOY :thumbsup:

:CG_all: Has anyone heard about any dates or news about offering the new 6.2 and 6 speed as an option in the Tahoe? In my opinion this would be sweet!

213002[/snapback]

Yeah, the 6-speed is a given and will be in there eventually, but the 6.2L is reserved for higher end trims like the Denali and Escalade. On the other hand, they are offering the 6.0L right now in 1500 Avalanches and Suburbans, which people have requested for a long time, so MAYBE it will eventually show up as some kind of an option in the Tahoe as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from two days of almost continuous driving on a trip to Sprinfield, MO and back - 900 miles round...I came away even more impressed.  The infortainment systems and Nav are awesome...and the On Star phone system is cool as all get out!  Just say 'Dial' and it asks you for the number - say the number listen to the repeat by the computer - then it dials...great service. :thumbsup:

Now - for the important stuff:  This truck really handles much better than it should, the brakes are steller and the motor just keeps getting better and better - the intake growl under hard accelleration is sooooooo sexy ...and does it hustle!!!  66-90 + is a blink.  I took some back roads through MO - stuff that would be fun in my Vette - found myself laughing as I tossed her from corner to corner.  It has the 20-inch wheels on it - and they just stick!  Also, the nervouseness of the old truck on uneven pavement or washboarding is gone.  Overall came away thinking -" If I did not see the Bowtie in the steering wheel - I would seriously think I was in a Bimmer!" :P

Minor complaint - unless I am missing something - there is no telescoping steering collumn in my truck - I feel like the top of the steering wheel is too far away for 10 and 2 driving.

95920[/snapback]

Yeah I love that phone feature as well, it is the way to go.