Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

For the Nay-Sayers: THE Word on Camaro

NOS2006

What was Edmunds' "call" on the powertrains?

EDIT: Nevermind.

So... Edmunds called the 3.9, 5.3, and 6.0. And they're wrong. So...

My guesses are 3.9 mated with 4SA, 6SA, 5SM; 5.3 (which LS# is this?) with a 4SA, 6SA, 6SM; and LS3 (6.2 or 6.3L?) with the 6SA, 6SM.

Edited by NOS2006

..!!!!!!

When in doubt, go to the people with their hands in the pot. :)

The media (me included) have traditionally went to OEM manufacturers, people who are aware of how long it takes to get through stages inside the company (since those in the know usually don't talk). The weird thing this time around is that alot of the people directly involved are talking or doing things pretty openly.

Under normal ops, the Camaro would be at least 3 years from production, and that's what alot of people are going by. But consider these things:

1. Camaro isn't being engineered in Detroit or even the USA. It was done in Australia... away from people who would normally have an idea how far along things might be. You'll find people inside GM this very second saying with all their heart that Camaro won't happen in less than 3 years because GM historically doesn't, and simply can't move that fast, and NOT because they have accurate up to date information. Game's different this time.

2. There's alot of steps that's not going to be done with Camaro that traditionally has been done in the development process. The car isn't going to any clinics. It's not going to be sent back to have it's styling redone (which would even still require yet another clinic afterwards). A huge time saver. The car's suspension parts have already been tested. It was done on the VE Commodore mules. More chunks of time saved. The body structure testing is being done all in virturally reality (pioneered partially the Solstice), not on a series of mules, alphas, betas, etc. Again, this is taking a massive amount out of development time.

3. Finally, things aren't exactly standing still at Wilmington.

I'll simply say check up on these things, follow what's being said by the guys involved, and then come to your own conclusion. ;)

Not only new, but the LS3 is BRAND new. The 6SA is too.

Only thing, I guess, would be the exterior "enhancements" (mirrors, lights, etc) but that's not too difficult. Also, the interior, as you said, but that could EASILY be based off the concept's interior with different materials and a small bit different layout and all ready to go.

I could definitely see a pre-production model at the next NAIAS, but that's just me.

My gut tells me it will be here sooner than 2010, I honestly believe, mid 2007 to at least order the production car, wishfull thinking I guess. Scott Settlemire said not to believe the things you read in the media. Last time I doubted F bod father I saw him on American Muscle car. So ill take his word on it.

Way before 2010. We've been saying for YEARS 2007.

Just like we had the LaCrosse Super before anybody else.

Just like we had the ION replacement before anyone else.

Just like we will have big news on another GM vehicle not yet here.

We gots it all...

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah, just like I thought. Edmunds was spewing :bs:.

I guess Edumunds finally got paid for all the Honda ads they put up and had to fufill the so called "disappointing news about GM" part of the deal.

Wow.

How cool for you Camaro enthusiasts. Not that I'm not a Camaro enthusiast ... I am.

But, I think ya'll know by now where my loyalties are ;).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Why can't that be me?" ... 3 Doors Down ... 'If I Could Be Like That'

It's RWD

It's muscular

It's sexy

It's beautiful

It's an instant classic

It's modern

It's got a killer V8

It's got IRS

It's a true hardtop

It's going to be afffordable

It's got an amazing interior

and best of all it's a Camaro.

Damnit I can't wait to see this thing rolling off assembly lines!

I hope your optimism is justified. GuionM's posts are entertaining to read, but Evok has proven himself to be the most accurate insider. I'd love to see production of the Camaro start at that Wilmington plant in the fall of 2007 or early 2008, but I'm skeptical.