Worth it?

http://longisland.craigslist.org/ctd/1783881887.html

1GCEC14Z87Z150293-0.jpg

I'm smitten by this, and it's configured exactly the way I'd want a light-duty Home Depot/bike hauler. Well, tehcnically no - black is probably my last choice for paint color, but that's balanced out by the 5.3L FlexFuel (I'd have been happy with a 4.8L).

• 3 weeks later...

The truck's still available, now at $9900 and change. I have a concern about the tool box:

1GCEC14Z87Z150293-4.jpg

If I got the truck I'd be ripping that thing out as soon as I got it in my driveway. How are these things typically held in? Are they typically screwed/bolted in the bed, or do they clamp in somehow? I looked at a similar box (Husky brand) mounted in a 94-97 S10 and couldn't see how it was mounted.

The 5.3 stock exhaust does sound way cooler than a 4.8 though.

The box could be screwed straight into the box rails. There are no-drill clamps that can be used to hold them down but they are usually sold separately and many people don't seem to spend the extra $15-20 for them.

It'll prolly have bolt holes in the bedrails. Hopefully, at least, there is some sort of cushioning material between the box and the bed, to prevent untoward damage to the paint. You could get those double-side tape black plastic bed rail protectors to dress up the urrea if it is unsightly.

I used the clamps on mine, but they were somewhat unreliable.

I'd expect to find four small holes in the bedrails.

Yeah most of the Huskies have that design. I think that is what it says on the back of that box.

I am with you Z on that box - get rid of it.

The dealer's ad for it is here

They actually have the Carfax on it available to the public: clicky

I'd really like to go take a look at it this Saturday. Big homeowner chores are starting to pile up, and I'm getting tired of overcramming the Cobalt (which I would still keep), asking people to use their truck, or paying shipping charges.

Once you own a truck, you'll never want to be without one.

I can't agree... but I feel the same about big station wagons. I've got three trucks... a Blazer, a FS Van and a F-450 dumpbody... I'd rather drive the Caprice. Its more comfortable, faster, better mileage, rides and handles better.

I can't agree... but I feel the same about big station wagons. I've got three trucks... a Blazer, a FS Van and a F-450 dumpbody... I'd rather drive the Caprice. Its more comfortable, faster, better mileage, rides and handles better.

But would you want to be without a truck?

They are just so damn useful.

Open bed pickups = infinite cargo capacity. Plus, there are many options to cover the bed if you don't want it exposed. Most modern pickups, though not necessarily Nurburgring worthy, seem to handle very, very well. As far as gas mileage goes, the truck I'm looking at is rated at 17/23mpg. That's awesome, and only slightly less than your average FWD V6 sedan today. If it is in fact FlexFuel capable, even better, because they're supposedly putting in E-85 pumps at my job.

I actually had been seriously considering a decent used 2dr Blazer, but every one I see here either 1) has excessive mileage, 2) is beat to snot, or 3) is ridiculously expensive (same price as this Silverado, if not more).

I'm getting off work at 12 tomorrow - and I'm gonna give this a look-see.

But would you want to be without a truck?

They are just so damn useful.

Because I can cope with using a big wagon instead. And with the tow hitch, I can haul quite a bit with the trailer if I needed to.

Granted, I won't be without a truck, but thats only because I have space to store them unregistered and selling them would not generate enough money to make it worth losing them (Plus the van and F450 were my fathers, and have sentimental value). However, _IF_ I didn't have the space, I would have the wagon and would rarely, if ever, think about having a truck.

I'd need a truck with a tree spade attachment, a snow plow, a rollback or a bucket truck to really have a job I couldn't use the wagon for.

Let me twist this slightly... right now the wagon, the van, the Blazer and F450 are not on the road for various reasons... and I have to move some of my sister's stuff. I regret not having the wagon ready more than the others, and I'm considering rushing it back into service over the others.

In fact, I've been considering a FS pickup lately... but I just do not like the idea of climbing up into it, lifting things up into it... ugh, what a PITA. Then I think about an S10 or a Colorado... but the cabs are too cramped. And El Caminos are many times over priced and over worn. So the solution, seemingly, is to put the Caprice wagon back together. I just wish I had the time...

Got back from the dealer - it actually did have the clamps on the box. No holes in the bed rails to speak of, though there were a few chips near the box. There wasn't a single dent on it, but a few fine scratches in the clear, which would probably come out with some buffing. Inside the bed is more seriously scratched, but not dented. Some Rhino liner will take care of that.

None of this matters though, because they sold the truck just before I got there and the guy was going to pick it up in a little while.