College Fraternities

NOS2006

Yeah I went to Macomb 2 years and some place else for another 2 years. It awesome going to local though. stay at home free food and free rent most of the time. yeah Dorms I remeber getting hammered all the time and blazed on some pot every night except before finals.

Okay, I don't understand what they are in the least bit.

What are they?

How do you get in?

What good do they do you?

Can you be a freshman and get in?

Derrrrrr.  :duh:

1. A house where you live with a group of other guys (or girls for sororities)

2. Visit one and tell them you're interested in joining...I'm not sure of the exact process, but you go to meetings and if you make it in, then there's "initiation"

3. Not really much...you get a greek lettered sweatshirt and a group of 50 guys that drink all the time, that's about it. It's actually more expensive to live there than residence halls...but usually they provide dinner for free. Technically, it's supposed to look good on a resume and all that, but I've never had any interest in joining the Greek community.

4. Yes, most get in as Freshmen. If you really want to join, find someone that's in the frat and talk to them about joining....they're pretty much always recruiting. If you have the right personality they're looking for, you'll probably get in.

Wow...lots of misinformation here...disturbingly so...

1. Fraternities are basically social interest groups on college and university campuses. They are a great way for students to develop a friend base quickly and easily, and the leadership skills learned from the fraternity can help you in life. Fraternities are great for networking. Fraternities can be all-male or co-ed (usually just the special interest fraternities, though). Fraternities are most commonly "social fraternities" in that they exist to provide social lives for their members at the core of their being. Some fraternities are special interest groups, such as business fraternities, engineering fraternities, Christian fraternities, Jewish fraternities, etc. These special interest fraternities usually (though not 100% always) only accept members who are, say, business majors, engineering majors, etc. They are a great way for people with common interests to network, practice religious fellowship, etc.

2. How to get in...well, there are a few ways, and what follows is generally true throughout the US, though some colleges/universities have different policies. The first part of joining a fraternity is participating in Rush Week. Rush Week is the same for every house on The Row, and generally consists of a week of themed parties. The first two nights of Rush (especially the first) are critical. You should go out and visit as many fraternities as possible, talk to the guys in them, get to know each House, register with Houses you like. As Rush Week progresses, you will either get called back each night (if they like you) or you will get a "cut call." If you get cut from a house or two it shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't be taken personally; the fraternity as a group either did not feel you were interested enough, didn't fit in with the existing members, or just didn't get to know you very well (aka, a combination of the previous two). Usually on the Friday of Rush, each house will have an invite-only semiformal dinner. If you get invited you are doing great as far as getting in, though it is not guaranteed. During this dinner you will really get to know a few of the brothers, and if they like you, they will extend a bid to you or invite you to Bid Night, usually a Saturday during Rush Week. Depending on the individual fraternity's policy, you will be able to choose to accept the bid, decline the bid, or wait to answer in a specified amount of time if you haven't decided yet. It definitely helps if you already know someone or are friends with people in a House, and if you know any alumns who would write you letters of recommendation, then go for it. After accepting a bid, you become a new member, or "pledge." This lasts for most of the semester, and consists of learning all about the fraternity and its history. The Pledge Semester culminates with Initiation, when you are officially a full active member of the fraternity. Pledge programs differ widely from fraternity to fraternity, and unfortunately some do haze. There is a difference between "Brotherhood-building activites" and hazing, though there is also a lot of grey area. Just don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. In this era of lawsuits, I'd say hazing is much less of a concern than it was in the past. Some hazing is absolutely disgusting (elephant walks) while others are more of a matter of personal comfort/inhibitions. Again, don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing. Any fraternity should respect you enough to not force you to do something you do not want to do.

Another, totally unrelated option is to become a Founding Father for an interest group or colony. This is a real resume-builder, and the leadership opportunities are abundant. I'm currently doing this option. It is a lot of work, though, but well worth it.

3. What good can they do for you? Well, a lot. Other than the social aspect, the fraternity acts as your home away from home. These are your friends, the people you hang out with. Many lifelong friendships result from fraternities. Many start-up businesses are founded by fraternity brothers. Also, since fraternities are national organizations (some even international), job networking can be a big boon. Other good things are that fraternities help you get adjusted to college life (for freshman) and provide a social network. With everyone paying chapter dues, you can throw some really amazing events that would not be possible with just a few individuals. Consider it people pooling their resources together. Finally, Greek Life can help with dating through various Exchanges and Invite events. Seriously, they are so much fun.

4. Some universities/colleges have policies regulating this, but generally, yes.

As for some of the previous comments, many Houses are moving toward AFH or Alcohol-Free Housing as part of their risk management policies due to rising insurance costs. This varies greatly, though, from campus-to-campus and is largely self-regulated. Also, not all fraternities are the same type of guys, just with different letters on the hoodies. Each house has its own distinct personality. Go to a big enough campus with an active Greek community, and you will surely find something that fits you; if not, form your own.

Hope this helps.

Another, totally unrelated option is to become a Founding Father for an interest group or colony.  This is a real resume-builder, and the leadership opportunities are abundant.  I'm currently doing this option.  It is a lot of work, though, but well worth it.

What is your special interest? :scratchchin:

I was a founding father of Alpha Sigma Phi at Miami University before I transferred to Notre Dame. It was the highlight of my time there,and I would have become involved much earlier if I could go back and do it again. Of course, Notre Dame does not have a greek community. And, having transferred away, I am no longer a member of ASF. I was able to attend the chartering ceremony last fall which reminded me of the enriching experience of it all. It is one of the things I miss the most about MU.

- E. S. Mail

Here's what it boils down to: Frats are like secret clubs, like the Stonecutters or the No Homers Club. If you're in the club, you get to meet other people in the club and make friends and do things that people outside the club can't really do. Does it really benefit you? It depends on what your priorites are. NOS, you'll be fine in college with or without a frat. Your personality will win people over, not the three letters on your shirt.

2. How to get in...well, there are a few ways, and what follows is generally true throughout the US, though some colleges/universities have different policies.  The first part of joining a fraternity is participating in Rush Week.  Rush Week is the same for every house on The Row, and generally consists of a week of themed parties. 

Even if you decide you don't want to join a frat, participate in Rush week. A week's worth of free food and parties is well worth having a bunch of frats hounding you to join their societies. Just be careful, though. One of my friends got rush raped. They got him really drunk, took him into a back room, and made him sign the application to pledge.

Fraternities aren't my thing, though. Even the ones where I really like the guys seem to be too centered around an alcohol society. I like to drink occasionally, but not three or four nights a week.

Heh...binge drinking and Abercrombie & Fitch. That's all you need to know.

Yep, the only requirement is to be a complete tool. Then again, I'm on my third college and have spent time around thousands of frat guys, so I could be wrong. Sorority girls are the same way, only usually hot and surprisingly less prickish than frat guys.

Here's what it boils down to: Frats are like secret clubs, like the Stonecutters or the No Homers Club. If you're in the club, you get to meet other people in the club and make friends and do things that people outside the club can't really do. Does it really benefit you? It depends on what your priorites are. NOS, you'll be fine in college with or without a frat. Your personality will win people over, not the three letters on your shirt.

That's not entirely true...again it depends on the individual Chapter as far as what non-members can do. In mine, each party we have that is an official chapter party can only have 2 guests per brother, and this is done to minimize risk for insurance purposes to prevent things from getting out of hand. I can tell right away that you aren't Greek. As far as it really benefiting NOS, or any member for that matter, let me put it this way: you will be in a house with about 40+ active members on campus. Most of these guys will be older than you and have more experience in the university/college. Many probably took some of the same classes you're about to take. All will have recommendations on which classes to take and which to avoid. This can help your GPA. Also, if you are having problems in school, your fraternity brothers will be there for you and do all they can to help you out. This goes for life: you are in a fraternity for life, and if you ever have a problem, you can count on your brothers to have your back.

Even if you decide you don't want to join a frat, participate in Rush week.  A week's worth of free food and parties is well worth having a bunch of frats hounding you to join their societies.  Just be careful, though.  One of my friends got rush raped.  They got him really drunk, took him into a back room, and made him sign the application to pledge.

Fraternities aren't my thing, though.  Even the ones where I really like the guys seem to be too centered around an alcohol society.  I like to drink occasionally, but not three or four nights a week.

Seconded on the Rush Week. It's a lot of fun, even if you're just using it as an excuse to party hard. As far as the alcoholism, it depends on the fraternity chapter. Most of the ones here at USC are fine; there are very few problems with the Greek community. Also, alcoholism is most certainly not limited to the Greek community. Most of the alcoholics I knew were freshman living on the substance free floor of the dorm because of overprotective parents.

Yep, the only requirement is to be a complete tool.  Then again, I'm on my third college and have spent time around thousands of frat guys, so I could be wrong.  Sorority girls are the same way, only usually hot and surprisingly less prickish than frat guys.

Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong. I'm sorry you've only gone to colleges with a less-than-stellar Greek community, but maybe it's a regional thing? Everyone on the West Coast is pretty chill about it all...there was no problem associating between members and non-members at all.

Watch this movie. it will teach you about frats.

also try.

Soroity Boys

Revenge of the Nerds

Old School

Oh Jesus...yea...ummmm...not true or accurate at all. Maybe applies to 1% of the Greek community.

What is your special interest? :scratchchin:

We are just a social fraternity, standard-issue. "Interest Group" is the title applied to the very small group of guys interested in starting (or re-starting) a chapter. Once a membership requirement has been met, an interest group becomes a "Colony." After another set of requirements are met (both in member numbers and other things) the Colony gets Initiated and Installed as a Chapter.

I am in Theta Chi, hence the avatar. Beta Tau chapter.

Yea, no problem. I'm a first-generation Greek, and I've always felt that it was one of those things you just gotta do in college. Going Greek is an important decision, and it really depends on where you go. Some schools have much more positive images of the Greek Community than others.

Also, many non-Greeks seem to have some degree of contempt toward Greeks (as you can obviously see from the tone of some of the posts above). Honestly? It isn't for everyone, but I do think the vast majority of people could get something good out of it. Some people become embittered through a few bad experiences or end up being serial victims of Rush Cuts. Others just come from campuses where Greek Life has few positive qualities. Again, it all depends on which college/university you go to. I know you're at that age, so try to pick one that has an active and positive Greek Life. USC does, and it makes for a lot of good qualities on campus, for both Greeks and non-Greeks. Here we have about 20-30% participation, which is really a lot of people considering there are 35,000 undergrads. You cannot walk through campus without seeing a lot of letters every day, all times of day.

Good luck with it, NOS, you should have no problem getting in.

Also, many non-Greeks seem to have some degree of contempt toward Greeks (as you can obviously see from the tone of some of the posts above).  Honestly?  It isn't for everyone, but I do think the vast majority of people could get something good out of it.  Some people become embittered through a few bad experiences or end up being serial victims of Rush Cuts.  Others just come from campuses where Greek Life has few positive qualities.  Again, it all depends on which college/university you go to.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that, like many groups, the most visible members of fraternities are the ones who give it the worst image. The guys who wear boat shoes, polos with popped collars, shorts that reveal more than anyone wants to see, and the identical 40 year old haircuts just scream "douchebag" while the rest just sort of blend in to the crowd.

What are they?

How do you get in?

OK, NOS, here's my scoop on it. Not as neutral/positive as Croc's and hopefully not too negative.

First, I was NOT a member of one. While my small Catholic university allowed them on campus, they did not pick up as high a percentage of the student body as, say, a state supported Midwesterner or Southern school (U of I, IU, UNC, etc.). They seem to work hand in hand with the more traditional verve in those areas, especially if the school has too much "mint julep on the veranda" breeding, as some Southern schools do.

Question 1.

They are social clubs, sanctioned by the university which also may do community events and fund raisers, but the overall thrust is social. The association to greek tradition is beyond me since universities in Greece and neighboring countries find this to be an odd situation.

Question 2.

To get in, you "rush" which means you apply. You have to like them and they have to like you. It's not a given that either of those 2 conditions will occur. Also, in a large university, there is more of a likelihood that there will be a frat more cut out for you...some have a less strenuous rush (Pi Kappa Alpha) from what I recall hearing. There are even Jewish fraternities (Zeta Beta Tau which is also known as Zillions Billions and Trillions, purportedly after the reputation that Jews tend to have more money). The rush isn't just an application. It will be a semester of hell. If you are not disciplined or just naturally brilliant (and I think you're fairly smart from your posts), then expect your grades to take a hit. They make you go through all kinds of $h! to prove you want to get in. However, the thought is that (1) you will do it if you want to get in, and (2) you will really bond with your pledge brothers and sisters if you finish.

Question 3.

They can be good and they can be bad. They can be good in that you might feel more connected to a campus. They might provide dates since they tend to have the inside track to knowing the sorority chicks. As far as sorority chicks being easy, I have found that they put out mostly to frat boys they know, they are not "general consumption p*s*y" as the media would like you to think. They are bad in that they can take more time from you than you think and that you can pick up some bad habits from the "groupthink" mentality that prevails in some. Alcohol is a big component in some. In fact, I had a friend (a loosely used term) in college who was not remarkable in any way, yet he had to join the fraternity where all the "bad boys" were. He went through their living hell, only to find that beyond the experience in college, it didn't carry far beyond that as far as friendships and connections. He told me that you had to make a choice - to drink or not to drink, which I don't understand...you couldn't be in the middle of the road of this one or you would be subjected to pressure. Some may not be as alcohol based. There is one general perception problem: people poo-poo the engineering fraternity, the business fraternity and so on because they are not as wild. You can still meet people in them and feel connected to a campus. In fact, you might meet some nicer people in those, it's just that they won't be as popular.

Question 4.

Yes. Freshmen can get in and they usually try in their second semester of first year or third quarter if on that system.

One thing that I always found weird (and here comes Ocn and a few others). Some fraternities and sororities make it a point to rush other good looking guys and good looking girls. It's a big deal to have really good looking people in their group. Not only that, some even assess your family's financial background, though that is supposedly waning. I find that sickening and I don't think it's too common anymore. The whole approach really seems homoerotic. Is it so important because you plan on bedding them? What's up with that? Most fraternities and sororities have attractive members. And, with that territory, there are some serious a-holes in these groups.

In conclusion, it's your choice. If you find one that doesn't tax your GPA too much and doesn't teach you bad habits, then go for it. Also, if you are heading for a profession where you have a stamp after your name (doctor, architect, actuary, CPA, engineer), then I doubt that being one will kick up your standard of living that high. On the other hand, if you will be a 2.8 GPA business grad that's not too bright and you need a job in sales because you are way cool and glib, then a similarly credentialed ex-frat-brother may be able to help you get your foot in the door.

Another thing is that most schools have them and some schools don't. While most Catholic universities allow them (which surprises me), Notre Dame says no to them. Rice University in Houston also says "say no to frats." They claim that they are elitist and contrary to the egalitarian learning environment that is supposed to prevail on the college campus. I would have to say that I agree. For the most part, they are elitist.

It wasn't for me as I am too much of a non-conformist. I have always done what I have wanted, when I wanted to do it. I don't like crowds and I don't like "groupthink." It has some benefits and given the college/slate of frats available, there could be a situation that works for you.

Good luck and feel free to ask any of us who have posted a bit of info here on the subject!

WOW long post, Bob...I'm sure you knew I was going to respond...

some have a less strenuous rush (Pi Kappa Alpha) from what I recall hearing.

Rush is limited to Rush Week. There is nothing strenuous about it at all, unless party hopping is difficult...which I doubt is the case with NOS since he isn't a quadriplegic.

There are even Jewish fraternities (Zeta Beta Tau which is also known as Zillions Billions and Trillions, purportedly after the reputation that Jews tend to have more money).

Never heard that about ZBT! One important note: just because a fraternity is nationally "something" does not mean it will be locally. Our ZBT has a Christian as a President. AEPi is our main Jewish fraternity and they are also nationally so. Business/Engineering fraternities tend to be constantly so throughout, though.

The rush isn't just an application.  It will be a semester of hell.  If you are not disciplined or just naturally brilliant (and I think you're fairly smart from your posts), then expect your grades to take a hit.

False. Rush Week is one week. IF you receive a bid, and IF you accept it, then you are a Pledge or New Member and embark on the "Pledge Semester." There is no such thing as "rush semester."

As for the grades, you make it what you want to make it. IFC (InterFraternity Council) has rules and regulations, and one of these is a requirement for mandatory "Study Hours" for Pledges/New Members and all active members with a GPA of X.XX or lower. If you choose to dick around during study hours, then that is your choice, but a fraternity has to have these and document them meticulously.

They make you go through all kinds of $h! to prove you want to get in.  However, the thought is that (1) you will do it if you want to get in, and (2) you will really bond with your pledge brothers and sisters if you finish.

This is much less true today than in the past. Most fraternities have a very strict "No Hazing Policy" that is mandated by nationals as a result of hazing deaths in the 1980s and 1990s. Does hazing still exist? Yes...but any fraternity engaging in it will face serious consequences if caught or reported.

There is one general perception problem:  people poo-poo the engineering fraternity, the business fraternity and so on because they are not as wild.  You can still meet people in them and feel connected to a campus.  In fact, you might meet some nicer people in those, it's just that they won't be as popular.

To be sure, this is something that varies widely. At USC the Engineering fraternity is extremely wild and throws some great parties, as does the Business Fraternity. I wouldn't count them out...it really just depends on the school you attend.

Some fraternities and sororities make it a point to rush other good looking guys and good looking girls.  It's a big deal to have really good looking people in their group.

This is simply for being a house popular with a house of the opposite sex. sorority girls are not going to become obsessed with a house full of fat hairy guys with dandruff and refuse to wear deodorant. If you groom yourself, you should be fine. I had a conversation with one of my brothers today regarding this; he thinks we need to do something because we are getting a reputation as being..."unkempt" to put it nicely. I agree to an extent, though I'm not willing to go all Carson Kressley, either. The main concern regarding appearance is that everyone looks "professional" and "decent." It isn't a strange coincidence that many fraternities require Pledges to dress in suits every monday during Pledge Semester (though that's not the only reason...most chapter meetings are on Mondays, and some fraternities make them formal events).

Not only that, some even assess your family's financial background, though that is supposedly waning.  I find that sickening and I don't think it's too common anymore.

Agreed, that is really tacky. I only know one fraternity at USC that does that, and they are the "Newport Fraternity."

The whole approach really seems homoerotic.

Uhhh you lost me on that. Anyone can tell if an individual is good-looking or not, regardless of gender. That said, most fraternities who have that kind of requirement have a few good sorority friends they show the pictures to after the first few nights of Rush. Yes, they take your picture during Rush Week, and that is to get to know you (face and name) as well as have sorority girls judge you if the fraternity does that.

Most fraternities and sororities have attractive members.  And, with that territory, there are some serious a-holes in these groups.

Eh. I know some serious a-holes outside of fraternities. I know quite a few nice guys in them.

It wasn't for me as I am too much of a non-conformist.  I have always done what I have wanted, when I wanted to do it.  I don't like crowds and I don't like "groupthink."  It has some benefits and given the college/slate of frats available, there could be a situation that works for you.

I haven't experienced the "groupthink" at all. That only happens if you let it happen.

---

I'm not surprised/offended/affected in any way by the negative comments and stereotypes...just like I know most (but not all) of you can take a Camaro Mullet joke. That said...NOS, I really hope you go for it, if not for any other reason than the fact you gave it a shot. I firmly live by the "don't knock it until you've tried it" creed, and I encourage you all to as well. Oh, and you have to have been a pledge to count for "trying it," not just rushing. Good luck!

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that, like many groups, the most visible members of fraternities are the ones who give it the worst image.  The guys who wear boat shoes, polos with popped collars, shorts that reveal more than anyone wants to see, and the identical 40 year old haircuts just scream "douchebag" while the rest just sort of blend in to the crowd.

I have no idea what kind of shorts you are referring to...cargo shorts are pretty modest. Even the plaid shorts go to the top of the knee. I'm sorry you seem to equate preppy dress with douchebags, it must be hard to live in your world. :blink:

So, would you say this is a fair assortment?:

http://www.kettering.edu/students/organizations.asp

Seems decent. I didn't look at it all because there were other groups in there as well, but it really did seem decent. No Theta Chi :nono: but I saw a few others I recognized :thumbsup:

Well, NOS, here's my input. FYI, I'm actually in a very large fraternity on my campus and have been active since my freshman year...

Rules for rushing requirements varies by campus, but most you can rush formally (by registering with the Interfraternity Council aka IFC), or informally. It does not matter either way...

Definitely check out every house, don't let anybody's opinions of any house get in your way of checking one out. Try to bring friends with you...you'll feel less like a fish out of water. You are being judged, but try not to be nervous...really keep your cool, stay relaxed. Try to look your best, too, but without overdoing it...we like "face guys" but won't rush a guy if he's all looks and no brains.

A house will call you after the night they rush you, asking you to come back again for either lunch or the remaining night. Usually, most frats will "pref" you, inviting you to Preference dinner the night before bid night. Unless a rushee acts like a total tool on pref night, an invite to pref dinner basically means you're getting a bid.

As for pledging, get in the mindset that you are going to be hazed. It's happening alot less these days thanks to heavy litigation, but if it does most houses have it for a point (which is extremely impossible for outsiders to grasp), and you won't get injured. Think PT and cleaning. The goal is to build your pledge class into a tight unit, like 30 best friends that would take a bullet for each other...once your there it's an awesome feeling. Inititiation is big...once you run through the front doors for the first time with your pledge class its definetely something to remember...

Once your in, you have countless resources which you can capitilize on. Lots of connections, great parties, etc. If you're not down with the whole hazing thing, most Sigma Phi Epsilon chapters have done away with the pledge system and have adopted something similar to a leadership/philanthropy club...I'm not a fan of it but it works for some...

As for sorority girls, getting into a frat does not guarantee you "hooking up" with them, it just betters your odds of meeting them...you have to do the rest of the work just like any other party. Let me know if you need any more info on frats, be glad to help...

Edited by red

NO!! Hazing is illegal. It is bad. Any house requiring hazing is not worth your time. The general rule of thumb is to not do anything you aren't comfortable with. De-pledge if they haze because obviously if they want to haze you they don't respect you as a person. You should fit into a fraternity; a fraternity should not have to break you down to build you up into their image. That is not cool IMO...o well good luck.

Croc:

I stand corrected. I didn't mean the stress of the rush but rather the stress of the whole pledging/initiation period.

While I tried to be as factual as I could for not being in one, I had a few close friends going through it and it did NOT seem like a lot of fun.

The comment about "homoerotic" was somewhat of a joke. I don't recall any fraternity or sorority having anyone in them that, on a scale of 1-10, would rank below a 7.0 in appearance.

You yourself mentioned the "serial rush cuts" - interesting term. What would be the criteria for those? It would be interesting to know from someone on the inside.

Because of the exclusionary nature, some of those universities I refer to do brand them as slightly elitist.

I tried to present the positive side that, at a university where there is a lot to pick from, finding the right match may be easy and make your experience there more fun and productive. From what I saw at my small college, I chose to pass. Our friend NOS will decide what/which is right for him as he is clearly on the ball...popped collar and all.

NOS - what colleges are you thinking about? We'll help you with that, too! Good luck, dude.

Edited by trinacriabob

There's no real "policy" on "serial victims of rush cuts." I just kind of made that term up...A person can rush with any house any number of times, though some people (usually those who are socially awkward) just tend to get cut from every one. There really are two sides to this, though...yes, it sucks to be rejected and cut a lot. At the same time, though, better that than being in a house for a few years with guys who don't really like you. Fraternities all have visions for where they want to be, and they sometimes look for very specific qualities in new members. Right now there is one kid rushing Theta Chi who is extremely creepy for lack of a better term. Sure, he's nice, and he seems genuinely interested in us, but we just don't like him cuz he creeps many of us out. It happens, and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Okay, I don't understand what they are in the least bit.

What are they?

How do you get in?

Derrrrrr.  :duh:

Since these questions have been answered already, I will just add my two sense.

Think very hard and very long about joining a frat. Some are nice, most are not. If you have to be reduced to nothing (aka. hazing) in order to join a group of "special people," it is NOT worth it.

I am a kind of "people will like me for me and if they don't, oh well"-type person. I would rather get ahead by my skills and abilities instead of being Greek.

Edit:

The whole approach really seems homoerotic.

I have always thought of frat guys to be of the curious type, if you will.

Edited by sciguy_0504

I would rather get ahead by my skills and abilities instead of being Greek.

The two are not mutually exclusive. If you choose to be active within the fraternity, you can glean a lot of skills from the experience. Fraternities are businesses, plain and simple. Being on the finance committee will give you a lot of real-world experience with accounting, credit and a sense of how much it costs to make things happen. Social committees teach you about throwing good parties. They also help you get a good feel for area restaurants and clubs, both of which are important bits of knowledge for taking that special someone out for a nice evening, schmoozing a potential client/boss or getting to know an unfamiliar city. Being on the PR committee will teach you a lot about image management. I think the usefulness of that is pretty apparent.

Honestly, though? Fraternities provide some crazy-awesome fun. I am having the time of my life. IMO, that's reason enough to give it a shot.

NOS - what colleges are you thinking about?  We'll help you with that, too!  Good luck, dude.

Kettering University. I'm paying for tuition tomorrow. Expensive ass school though since it's private; 30k/year! But they have a sweet co-op program where they get you a good job 6 months/year and the other 6 months you go to school.

Check 'em out: www.kettering.edu

Edited by NOS2006

Another quick observation for NOS, Croc and anyone else making choices about college or while in college.

I cannot stress this enough. We have been talking about social choices. However, you cannot undo a GPA. If you think you have to "max out" your experience at 19-22 because you think you have the world by the balls at that age, you should think otherwise. You will probably be smarter, more self-confident, less awkward (the kind that sometimes comes with being youthful), more wordly and generally have more income between 25 and 30 that choices about how you spend your time during college are important. If you are looking at a lofty goal, think grades...grades...and grades, again. Case in point: with a 3.71 earned for my B.S. degree that trended upward, I still didn't get in to some academic pursuits and jobs/locations I wanted.

You are in college for a much bigger reason. Frats are only part of the equation.

CO-OP IS AMAZING (though I have not been on it, yet; come September I will, though).  It is a great way to gain experience in your field and beautify your resume.  Awesome choice of a co-op school and school overall.

You must be at Drexel?