Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Dead n' Buried

balthazar

Ahh, the ol' pop-culture favorite... with a twist:

David Dunbar Buick, 9/17/1854 - 3/5/1929. Founder: Buick Auto-Vim & Power Company, 1899.

Buried: Woodmere Cemetery, Detroit MI.

Posted Image

Henry Martin Leland, 2/16/1843 - 3/26/1932. Founder: Cadillac Automobile Company, 1902.

Buried: Woodmere Cemetery, Detroit MI.

Posted Image

Louis Chevrolet, 12/25/1878 - 6/6/1941. Founder: Chevrolet Motor Company, 1911.

Buried: Holy Cross & St Joseph Cemetery, Indianapolis IN.

Posted Image

Ransom Eli Olds, 6/3/1854 - 7/26/1950. Founder: Olds Gas Engine Works, 1890.

Buried: Mount Hope Cemetery, Lansing MI.

Posted Image

William Crapo Durant, 12/8/1861 - 3/18/1947. Founder, General Motors, 1908.

Buried: Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx NY.

Posted Image

Edward M Murphy, unknown - 1909. Founder: Oakland Motor Car Company, 1907.

Buried: unknown. No image available.

Edited by balthazar

Oh balthy, what have you done? That picture of Mr. Buick's grave marker will be all over the 'net as a "symbol" of a larger problem, and Mr. Chevrolet's will be hung on every little Ford fan's bedroom wall as a sign of hope... :AH-HA_wink:

Wow super cool thread. These were all great men.

Henry Leland was such a pioneer he did a tremandous amount for the automotive field, much more than the typical American realizes. I know his direct involvement was short lived but I'd like to think he's smiling down from heaven on the CTS-V and XLR. However... he might be pisssed the DTS is still FWD. :wink:

One of my favorite stories is how W. O. Bentley was at awe when he first witnissed a V16 Cadillac. He said the mere word Automobile was insufficient to describe such a glorious machine.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Try checking out a cemetery in a foreign country (like Italy or Argentina). There is NO lawn space as everyone vies for a mausoleum. It's kind of a status symbol, a cult following if you will - kind of like taking cemetery tours in New Orleans.

This is a disturbing thread. lol

Fun Fact: Kettering University was originally founded by GM in the 1800s as GMI Engineering and Management Institute. Surrounding the campus are Chevrolet Avenue, Cadillac Street, Frank Street (Hey! That's my name!), and McLaren Hospital; all automotive references.

In looking at a wide variety of automotive personalites, it surprised me that I only came across 1 marker that had a visual reference to the deceased's fame.

In other words: What automotive pioneer has a likeness of one of his vehicles on his stone?

Wild Stab in the dark: Ferdinand Porsche?

Porsche, ironic? Hmmmm.... he was linked to Tatra & Porsche was the creator of the KdF for Hitler and also the rear mounted pancake motor makes me think:

Posted Image

Am I getting any closer?

Edited by Sixty8panther

Posted Image

William Crapo Durant, 12/8/1861 - 3/18/1947. Founder, General Motors, 1908.

Buried: Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx NY.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of my personal heros (before his issues) the man that has in essence brought everybody to C&G for without General Motors there would be no Motor City, Cheers & Gears, etc.

• 9 months later...

H M Leland was born in Barton VT.

Sixty8: >>"Henry Leland was such a pioneer he did a tremandous amount.... I know his direct involvement was short lived..."<<

He began machine work in the 1870s, motor production in '96, founded Cadillac in '02, sold to GM in '09 (but continued to run the division until he), founded Lincoln in '17 (to produce aircraft engines), started car production in '20, sold Lincoln to FoMoCo in '22... that's over 50 years contribution to the industry (his early machine & manufacturing work certainly contributed to his expertise by '02). By '22 HML was 79, so he didn't really ever put his feet up, so to speak, and he died in '32. I've seen a pic of him posing with an early Cadillac in his last year of life.

HML was directly involved in the industry for majority of his adult life; just about as long as anyone could in the same lifespan. I'd call that 'long-lived' if anything.

anyone else notice that Buick, Leland and Chevrolet all died EXACTLY 30 years after they founded their respective auto makers? how about how Olds died exactly 60 years after?

My bad Balthazar.... I was speaking only in terms of his

direct involvement with GM and Cadillac. Certainly his

master machinist credentials that dated to the American

Civil War and ended with Lincoln are LONG-lived as you

said. I always thought it was awsome that he lived long

enough to see the marvelous OHV V16s.

It's ironic you resurected this thread today Balthazar...

there will be a few related questions in the last TWCC

Trivia thread once it is posted after the winners of #58

are announced tomorrow.

>>"I was speaking only in terms of his direct involvement with GM and Cadillac. "<<

I gotcha. Still, he was with Cadillac from '02-'17... I too wish it had been longer, tho many of his principals & practices were still being followed years & years after he left by those that knew him, and those that learned under those that knew him.

Maybe I have the wrong guy?

I'm not sure that it was Leland.

The plaque said the person who was born there in that Montreal house that is now a McDonalds founded Detroit.

Who is that?

227605[/snapback]

Antoine Cadillac

but Antoine Cadillac was born in France

227613[/snapback]

I was surprised to see that "Cadillac" is one of the stops on the Montreal metro system. "Ooh-la-la," as my friends, the frogs, would say.

Evidently, anything that ends with "lac" is the same as an Anglophone name ending with "lake."

Yo, TYD, in which Montreal McDonald's is this plaque located? I'm going to "YUL" next year, again, using those wonderful miles!

Does it not seem odd that Leland's "monument" is the most ghetto looking?

227706[/snapback]

That's ironic on its own.

The man who founded one of the most luxurious automotive brands in American history has a ground plate for a headstone.

Edit: Just saw Balthy's post on Leland. Make that TWO of the most luxurious automotive brands in American history.

Edited by aaaantoine