• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Drew Dowdell

Project Toronado

The ones with the V6 were what Drew said. Oldsmobile in the catalog referred to the V6 as zesty... I knew he had the 307, but the 148 hp thing... Interesting..... The 5.0 307 rated at a 140 hp was before 1985. Let me pull out the catalog and books. The V6 he speaks about was standard equipment. A lot of people must have opted for the V8. It was a 4.1 liter V6 rated at 125 hp. Buick used it too. The V8 was optional. There was a diesel offered too. In 1980,the 307 had a 150 hp. In 1981, it had a 140 hp. I am sorry. Yours may have more due to dual exhaust.

This was the interesting thing as I was reading. The cars long as they were were not heavy. GM's cars have put on some weight. The heaviest was Custom Cruiser at 4,061 pounds. The rest of them were well below 4,000 pounds. Most GM cars weigh more today than they did back then. I thought it was interesting my Toronado is wider than yours. Yours is 5 inches longer than mine. You have a longer wheelbase.

What would be very interesting if possible, would be to put an Aurora V8 or Northstar V8 into an 80s Toronado. I bet it would fit, but then the transmission would likely need changed also to handle the torque, and that could be a very expensive job.

I'd go the LT-1 route first.

Fixed tonight:

Replaced the hood ornament.

fixed the stupid twisted seatbelt. Had to actually disassemble the unit.

Valve cover gaskets should be easy to fix.I loved the gasket design for the 3.5. Instead of a flat gaskets it's a rubber one that sits in it's own groove, so it won't slip out of place during installation.

Valve cover gaskets should be easy to fix.

In cars of this vintage, getting to the valve covers is the hard part - lots of plumbing and bracketry in the way.

In cars of this vintage, getting to the valve covers is the hard part - lots of plumbing and bracketry in the way.

I don't know what you're talking about.... this should be a breeze!

post-51-12801572182367.jpg

Fixed tonight:

Replaced the hood ornament.

*grins*

Nice. That's one of the first things I did with my '79 MC Landau when I got it (actually bought from GM back then) ... and this is one thing I have yet to do with my CC. The hood ornament on it now has a few holes in it ... literally :(. I know it's just a winter beater, but I love emblems.........................as if ya'll didn't know that....lol.

Lookin' good, Drew. Sure hope I get to see this in person when I'm in Pittsburgh in August!

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" ... Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers ... 'Broken Lady'

I don't love it for its speed. I love it for its sound. And the attendant attitude that goes along.

I vehemently disapprove of the 307 and even I can agree with ocn. The exhaust note was the one thing that did not change much at all after the Olds 350 in my old Regal was replaced with the 307.

Unfortunately, it's only a 3-speed auto, so it's not great on the highway.

Don't remind me.

(Speaking of my old Regal, it's for sale again: http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/1831336925.html)

Edited by whiteknight

Hey Drew,

Glad I got to see it when I was in Pittsburgh last month. Great to see you, too! And, thanks again for having me stay with you guys Saturday night. :)

10RT387_PA_0814_INHCNtoronadoDrew70MC.jpg

10RT406_PA_0814_DrewToronadoHome.jpg

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You can call it life and say that it's not right" ... Mel McDaniel ... 'I Call It Love'

I think I've managed to cure the Toronado of all fluid leaks now. The replacement radiator earned me a transmission fluid leak at the A/T fluid cooler fittings.

Now on to the gaseous leaks..... I have an exhaust leak, a leak in the air suspension, an emissions system leak and a vacuum leak to tackle next.

Well crap. Two weeks before the Toronado is due to be garaged for the winter, the CR-V just ate it's power steering pump.

Never a dull moment.

If I can ever get the Tahoe heat right, the wagon goes into its winter slumber too.

I try to avoid driving it in the winter. Usually I'll either drive the Prizm or borrow the Grand Marquis. If I have to use mine I was it religiously...perhaps that's why the underbody is in good shape.