What's most important to you...?

Here's what I consider the top three mot important things I look for in a car.

1. RWD: If it's not RWD then AWD w/ most of the power going to the rear wheels.

2. Manual Transmission: Not a must but very strong preferance!

3. V8 or Inline-6: Short of an exotic motor like a V12 or V16 this is the only way to fly.

That's it right there... RWD is most important but the other two I'll compromise on depending on the other redeming qualities of a car. Like a flat-6 Porsche motor would definately NOT turn me off to a 911, but an automatic trans. in a BMW is pretty much a deal killer.

So what's the top three things you look for in a car? I left off styling because these days the mechanicals is what I obsess over... styling is only skin deep but it can & does make some cars better than others, it's most often time something that gets me of the fence between two cars. The Q45 won out over a 1996 BMW 528i because the Bimmer looks cheap wiht the crappy base wheels & bumpers.

Most Euro cars look ultra chintzy because of all that rubstripping. BMWs are notable offenders, especially the first year of the X3. What junk.

Size - Narrows my list down considerably. I wouldn't ever want anything smaller than an Alero/Malibu.

Value - I want the most for my money. This goes hand-in-hand with size; a 3er may start at $30k, but its tiny and for my money, I could get a LaCrosse CXS and be a lot happier.

Styling - Inside and out. I'm not a dashophile spending hours on end molesting the underside of insturment panels, but I want something to look fairly nice inside and above all be ergonomically sound. This rules out most Korean cars as they tend to annoy the $h! out of me. Outside, my tastes vary, but aero over blockiness and smoothness over harshness is my gig.

But what trumps all is

Manufacturer - I'll drive them, I'll rent them, but I would be very, very, very extrodinarily unlikely to ever purchase anything outside of GM, Ford, Chrysler, or a select few of their subsidiaries (Jaguar and SAAB) and Maserati.

Most important thing to me is an athletic character, followed very closely by interior quality, features and design, also followed very closely by exterior design statement. Overall practicality ranks #4.

Edited by Croc

1. Interior environment: cockpit ergonomics and greenhouse

2. Pleasing exterior styling, somewhat sporty but also functional

3. Quiet ride while still sensing what's going on through the steering wheel

4. Reliability and longevity

Sounds like a W-body, right Croc? <_<

Edited by trinacriabob

Of course my criteria are hugely unique, as is my situation. Let me remind, for those of you who don't know, i don't pay for my cars or insurance, so price is no object, i only keep my cars for 10,000 km at most, so long term never enters into my decisions.

How I decide my next ride:

power - no 4 cylinder engines allowed

colour - no pewter, no red, no silverbirch

options - power everything, must have heated leather, must have sunroof and remote start makes me happy

I am truly lucky, I probably pick my cars how most people would LOVE to make their decisions, but can't due to realistic situations.

1. Fuel efficient. Nothing bigger than 4-cyl for me if I can help it.

2. Quality/Crash test ratings.

3. Manual Trans available.

4. Value for $.

5. Design is unique - this almost matters more to me than if it is visually pleasing.

6. Good factory speakers. I'm probably not going to upgrade the speakers in a car, yet I like my music loud. Therefore, good factories are a must. I'm quite happy with my Performance Audio from Pioneer.

7. A pleasing exhaust note.

8. Cruise control, intermittant wipers and A/C can be had standard or as cheap options.

9. Can fit a mountain bike inside, somehow. Believe it or not the Cobalt coupe can.

So there is my list. Took some deliberation to sort out what to put on, and especially the order.

9. Can fit a mountain bike inside, somehow. Believe it or not the Cobalt coupe can.

Really? how do you do that? I just joined a bicycling club/ministry at my church, and I shudder at the thought of putting a bike rack of any sort on my Cobalt.

here's my list:

1) Looks: I don't really care how many of them are on the road. I tend to lean towards timeless, gimmick-free shapes that will age well.

2) Power: for my daily driver, I just need it to respond the way I need it to when I hit the gas. The ability to occasionally be thrown back in my seat is a huge plus. For my 2nd car, too much is not enough.

3) Handling: After going from an 80s vintage S10 to the Cobalt, precise handling is now a requirement. I don't think I can go back the other way.

4) Stereo: CD player is a must, or no sale. As long as the system has decent bass, I'm OK with it. I love my factory Pioneer system, though.

5) Wheels: hubcaps=no sale.

6) Size: I honestly don't think I can live with anything much bigger than a W-body or Epsilon, or a Colorado from the truck end. Thank my miniature frame for that.

1) V8 - very few exceptions

2) RWD/ AWD/4WD - no exceptions

3) Performance - what type and how much depend on the vehicles purpose.

4) Styling - I tend to like the unique (popular or not), it has to be interesting in some way. This area is wide open as diverse styles appeal to me.

Interior is a postscript, not even close to making or breaking a deal. It also depends on the reason I am buying the car/truck. Much less important than other concerns and not at all on some cars.

1) V8 - very few exceptions

2) RWD/ AWD/4WD - no exceptions

3) Performance - what type and how much depend on the vehicles purpose.

4) Styling - I tend to like the unique (popular or not), it has to be interesting in some way. This area is wide open as diverse styles appeal to me.

Interior is a postscript, not even close to making or breaking a deal. It also depends on the reason I am buying the car/truck. Much less important than other concerns and not at all on some cars.

Yep. Well, minus the V8 since I can't (yet) afford it.

has to take up at least 1 and half parking spots.

Nothing less then 8 clyinders.

RWD unless its a 66 Toronado :wub:

must be able to due burnouts on demand.

And seat 8 comfortably

Be Made by GM, GM Canada, or GM Mexico

When over potholes you have to question if you even hit a pothole.

And The Body MUST be by Fisher.

all that = CAPRICE

My preferences:

Nothing less than 6-cylinders or a turbo/SC four with little exception.

Nothing smaller than a midsize car.

No &#036;h&#33;ty interiors. I'm not really a "dashstoker" but as I have to look at it every time I drive the car, it at the very least better not look like crap and rattle like crazy.

Wheels are required, no hubcaps.

Interesting.

It seems of all the people on here I'm probably the least rim-obsessed.

Hubcaps do suck but I think that steel rims look graet on a lot of cars. I tned to drive a lot of beaters and I love the mad max element. ONe of my favorite things about that Scummy Blazer I just got is that Marcia's Grandmother said that it looked "very scary".

That made me want to drive it up to the Ritz Carlton wiht nasty mud and weeds al over the grille and doors, toss the prissy little parking attendant guy the keys and say: "Could you turn the Hubs to 'Free'... I forgot to take it out of 4wd when I climbed out of the Swamp!"

Interesting.

It seems of all the people on here I'm probably the least rim-obsessed.

Hubcaps do suck but I think that steel rims look graet on a lot of cars. I tned to drive a lot of beaters and I love the mad max element. ONe of my favorite things about that Scummy Blazer I just got is that Marcia's Grandmother said that it looked "very scary".

That made me want to drive it up to the Ritz Carlton wiht nasty mud and weeds al over the grille and doors, toss the prissy little parking attendant guy the keys and say: "Could you turn the Hubs to 'Free'... I forgot to take it out of 4wd when I climbed out of the Swamp!"

Turn the hubs?! You must have gotten a REAL Blazer, not one of those little S-10 thingys. :ohyeah:

1) Styling. If I don't approve of how it looks, I won't own it regardless of anything else. An ugly car is a safety hazard as it takes people's attention off of the road and onto it. No ugly car, no one to run into my car.

2) Size. If I find it to be too big, I won't drive it. Land barges are bad for your health. Clown cars aren't. Smaller is always better, obviously. A small car means a happy BV. You don't want angry BVs on the road.

3) Transmission. If I cannot shift my own gears, I cannot operate the transmission. If I can't operate the transmission, I can't drive properly. If I can't drive properly, I might wreck. If I might wreck, I might kill you. Nobody likes a murderer.

4) Engine. If I have to pay out of my ass to pay for gas because of my lead foot, I can't put gas in it, therefore I cannot own it. 4cyls are the only way to not burn a whole in a my pocket without driving like a granny. I don't want people mistaking me for Mrs. Buttersworth.

5) Type. Anothing other than a low and sporty coupe is forbidden. No questions asked.

I have a quick release front tire, so it's a little easier for me. I take off the front tire first. Pull the passenger seat all the way forward, and insert bike, horizontally, rear tire first, handlebars and seat towards the front of the car. The tire and frame lay on the back seat, and the handlebars hang into the footwell. The passenger seat can then be folded back and used.

Really? how do you do that? I just joined a bicycling club/ministry at my church, and I shudder at the thought of putting a bike rack of any sort on my Cobalt.

here's my list:

1) Looks: I don't really care how many of them are on the road. I tend to lean towards timeless, gimmick-free shapes that will age well.

2) Power: for my daily driver, I just need it to respond the way I need it to when I hit the gas. The ability to occasionally be thrown back in my seat is a huge plus. For my 2nd car, too much is not enough.

3) Handling: After going from an 80s vintage S10 to the Cobalt, precise handling is now a requirement. I don't think I can go back the other way.

4) Stereo: CD player is a must, or no sale. As long as the system has decent bass, I'm OK with it. I love my factory Pioneer system, though.

5) Wheels: hubcaps=no sale.

6) Size: I honestly don't think I can live with anything much bigger than a W-body or Epsilon, or a Colorado from the truck end. Thank my miniature frame for that.

Turn the hubs?!  You must have gotten a REAL Blazer, not one of those little S-10 thingys. :ohyeah:

Yup. :yes:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...wtopic=5882&hl=

Posted Image

I have a quick release front tire, so it's a little easier for me. I take off the front tire first. Pull the passenger seat all the way forward, and insert bike, horizontally, rear tire first, handlebars and seat towards the front of the car. The tire and frame lay on the back seat, and the handlebars hang into the footwell. The passenger seat can then be folded back and used.

I did that for the longest time with my Saturn. It works, and its pretty easy to do without scratching anything. The only problem was that I usually rode a gravel trail and the black leather in the car wouldn't stay clean. I went and bought a bike rack towards the end of last summer and it worked great, although it looked a bit strange, a former co-worker said it looked like a face hugger. Also, I wasn't paying attention to where the pedals were and my trunklid got scratched up. Now that I have the Solara, I haven't even tried putting the bike in the car, just rack it and go, making sure I pay attention to the pedal position. So far the rack hasn't scratched anything, but the Solara's spoiler and trunk lid design made it really hard to use the side straps so now I just attach them to the top of the trunk lid. The other advantage of a rack is that I dont have to mess with removing the tire which, even with quick-release, can be a hassle, especially taking it back off after a long, tiring ride.

There are plenty of good FWD cars now, but recently I rediscovered the joy of RWD when it rained Monday. It turns out our 1988 Volvo 240, despite its measly 114 horsepower, oversteers with just a prod of the throttle. Gotta love 195/70-14 tires... :lol:

There are plenty of good FWD cars now, but recently I rediscovered the joy of RWD when it rained Monday. It turns out our 1988 Volvo 240, despite its measly 114 horsepower, oversteers with just a prod of the throttle. Gotta love 195/70-14 tires... :lol:

I've done my share of over-steering in the 1983 Volvo. Perhaps if I end up keeping the car until Oct. she will race again. :)

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...howtopic=2609&h

Posted Image