Chinese GL8 vs Terraza

the_yellow_dart

also... check out their screen savers. They're starting to introduce the "all chrome" Buick tri-shield sans red-white-blue.

I have a strong feeling that almost all Buicks starting with the Enclave will be sold in both markets. The model names, styling, and now badges, are all starting to unify.

Excellent. :)

It's not difficult to understand why Buick has a more favorable perceived-image in China.

Things like xenon headlamps and navigation aren't available on most Buick cars here, yet their minivan has both.

Pretty soon Buick will be all global...

Enclave

LaCrosse on EP II

Statesman (next Lucerne probably?)

Velite (?)

Theta (?)

That's exactly what I'm expecting too. Looks promising. It's actually possible for Buick's global sales to match its heyday levels of 800k-900k back in the 1980s.

In all seriousness could someone tell me the possibility of internationally streamlining Buick?

I'm not asking for hunches, but has anybody seen any hints or proof that Buick is going to be an international brand with the same lineup in every country?

I am not sure if this is a bad idea or a good idea or if it's really even possible. The standards (such as safety) for China and North America would have to be pretty similar for this to happen and I have no idea how the Chinese standards are. Plus would China and NA be interested in the same vehicles?

In all seriousness could someone tell me the possibility of internationally streamlining Buick?

I'm not asking for hunches, but has anybody seen any hints or proof that Buick is going to be an international brand with the same lineup in every country?

I am not sure if this is a bad idea or a good idea or if it's really even possible. The standards (such as safety) for China and North America would have to be pretty similar for this to happen and I have no idea how the Chinese standards are. Plus would China and NA be interested in the same vehicles?

Hints that Buick NA & Buick CN are unifying:

1) Buick CN just introduced the "LaCrosse" name to the Chinese market

2) Every indication points to the Enclave selling in NA & CN

3) Buick CN has introduced the monochrome Buick tri-Shield which Buick NA introduced back in 2001.

4) Lutz stated Buick NA's Zeta Flagship will be called Statesman which is a traditional name used for Holden's large cars overseas. The Royaum could become Buick Statesman when the next generation debuts.

Buick NA is striving to move further upscale. Matching Buick CN would achieve that. See the autoweek article discussing overseas sales for Cadillac. Replace Cadillac with Buick:

American dealers should pay close attention to Cadillac's efforts to pump up sales in Europe, China and elsewhere, Taylor said, because overseas sales can be decisive in getting products approved for the United States.

For instance, he said in an interview here, the CTS and STS required significant investment for relatively low volumes. The expectation that incremental volume would come from overseas was important to their business case, he said.

"You add 5,000 units in Europe, 5,000 in China and 5,000 in the Middle East and pretty soon that adds up to real money," Taylor said. "It can make the difference between a program that can make it and a program that can't."

Buick's global sales are already over 500,000. There's no reason not to unify the line-ups and sell 4 or 5 high volume vehicles globally instead of investing even more money on 8 or 10 low-to-mid volume vehicles to sell regionally.

1) Buick CN just introduced the "LaCrosse" name to the Chinese market

2) Every indication points to the Enclave selling in NA & CN

3) Buick CN has introduced the monochrome Buick tri-Shield which Buick NA introduced back in 2001.

4) Lutz stated Buick NA's Zeta Flagship will be called Statesman which is a traditional name used for Holden's large cars overseas. The Royaum could become Buick Statesman when the next generation debuts.

Buick NA is striving to move further upscale. Matching Buick CN would achieve that. See the autoweek article discussing overseas sales for Cadillac. Replace Cadillac with Buick:

Buick's global sales are already over 500,000. There's no reason not to unify the line-ups and sell 4 or 5 high volume vehicles globally instead of investing even more money on 8 or 10 low-to-mid volume vehicles to sell regionally.

Fair enough. It'll be interesting to see what happens. With Buick's massive popularity in China Buick could be getting near a full lineup again in maybe a decade or so.

Since Pontiac isn't really an international brand I wonder what they plan on doing with that.

Chevy makes enough to support themselves with NA sales alone.

Cadillac does well enough with overseas as does Buick.

I see Saturn and Pontiac bumping heads in product and since both are only confined to NA (unless I'm wrong I dont think Pontiac or Saturn sell outside of it) I wonder what will happen.

The incorporation of the Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealerships might have been the first step to dropping Pontiac while giving Saturn, a place with dealerships of their own (and also there aren't as MANY dealerships either which is good for incorporating the lower volume of sales of just a NA company) a chance to become the new innovative sporty image.

I just mean that Saturn got the Aura, Saturn got the higher end Solstice (Sky), and Saturn is going to be the first GM company that really utilizes alternative fuel sources (green line). Saturn is most definitely where Oldsmobile should be today at least stepping ABOVE Pontiac which is never has before in its history.

However giving Pontiac GMC dealerships Buick to compensate for Pontiac if they were to get rid of it and giving Buick dealerships GMC to compensate for the cut-down on vehicles temporarily there should be no lawsuits if GM were to declare Pontiac the company they need to cut to stay profitable.

I really think it makes perfect sense since Saturn has the perfect amount of dealerships for the volume that they'll be selling at and the proper image outside of GM fans.

Because everything has pointed to GM needing to cut another major company and I think if they streamline Buick in to an international company then there is only one "damaged brand" left... and Saturn will make sure we're not missing anything that Pontiac could've offered.

Edited by Cananopie

It would be interesting to see a sales breakdown by market...Buick is sold only in 3 countries, right ? (US, Canada, China). Is the China volume higher than the US?

It would be interesting to see a sales breakdown by market...Buick is sold only in 3 countries, right ?  (US, Canada, China).   Is the China volume higher than the US?

Check this topic out for more info, but Buick's sales in China for 2005 were approx 240,000. US sales were 282,288. From what I can tell, Buick sold about 28,000 vehicles in Canada for 2005.

Buick is currently sold in:

United States

Canada

China

Israel

Taiwan

I see Saturn and Pontiac bumping heads in product and since both are only confined to NA (unless I'm wrong I dont think Pontiac or Saturn sell outside of it) I wonder what will happen.

Actually, Saturn will eventually sell American Opels. Right now, both brands are slated to have the same styling but now hearing that the Astra name will make it across the pond to Saturn and the SKY and GT are exactly the same, it looks like the vehicles may be closely related if not the same vehicles.

If GM were to drop a brand today, Pontiac would definately get the axe. Now, if we wait for the new Zeta sedan and GTO to arrive, it might be a different story.

Check this topic out for more info, but Buick's sales in China for 2005 were approx 240,000. US sales were 282,288. From what I can tell, Buick sold about 28,000 vehicles in Canada for 2005. 

Buick is currently sold in:

United States

Canada

China

Israel

Taiwan

Assembly may soon expand to a JV in Taiwan. Now, y'all go down to your local BPG dealers and tell 'em if they want more models, Buick has a compact sedan in China.

Actually, Saturn will eventually sell American Opels.  Right now, both brands are slated to have the same styling but now hearing that the Astra name will make it across the pond to Saturn and the SKY and GT are exactly the same, it looks like the vehicles may be closely related if not the same vehicles.

If GM were to drop a brand today, Pontiac would definately get the axe.  Now, if we wait for the new Zeta sedan and GTO to arrive, it might be a different story.

I just really see Buick's future seems to be internationally selling the same cars which financially will streamline PLENTY for GM which is just what they want plus Buick's are revered in China and that definitely adds weight to the "Don't kill this brand" side of the scale.

I don't see that for Pontiac. Isn't even the next gen GTO a sketchy happening?

• 2 months later...