Considering a new project

Camino LS6

Go for it. A couple of years ago (I think for the SS Concept unveil), GM did a 1970 Chevelle with an LS6 from a 2003? Z06. I think John Moss was behind it, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

What might actually turn out to be cheaper would be to find an LS1 (cheaper and much more plentiful) and make the LS6 mods to it yourself. Whatever you decide, please keep me/us updated. And don't spare the pics.

How does an El Camino compare to a Chevelle in terms of weight distribution/drag strip traction?  Am I being a geek?  Please splain.

An El Camino actually has better weight distribution than a Chevelle due to the extra sheetmetal used in the construction of the bed. :AH-HA_wink:

An El Camino actually has better weight distribution than a Chevelle due to the extra sheetmetal used in the construction of the bed. :AH-HA_wink:

Somthing doesnt seem logical there. Think man. Its on empty bed. no weight while a chevelle has the interoir and body work which is heavier. thats why a camino is easier to spin the tires than a chevelle. :banghead:

Edited by capriceman

Does he mean the LS6 or the LS-6? One is the Vette motor and the other is the 450hp 454 found in the 1970 Chevelle, I can't rember which is which.

Well, I did leave that up to interpretation, didn't I? I could find a '70 and build it to LS6 spec or buy a real LS6 El Camino, but the first would be a fake (clone) which I hate, and the second would require a mortgage.

So, I'm thinking low-buck (relatively) this go-round. I've located a real '76 El Camino SS without a drivetrain and some front-end damage that can be had pretty cheap. This is a car that really needs better than the anemic 350 that it was born with so I'm thinking a Zo6 LS6 would change its personality and not leave me in the poorhouse.

Somthing doesnt seem logical there. Think man. Its on empty bed. no weight while a chevelle has the interoir and body work which is heavier. thats why a camino is easier to spin the tires than a chevelle.  :banghead:

That's what you would think, but the bed has lots of structural steel that the coupe doesn't. I first read about this in an old review of an SS396 El Camino (I think it was Car craft magazine). And guess what, the wagon is even better.

Ever hear of Long Roof Racing?

That's what you would think, but the bed has lots of structural steel that the coupe doesn't. I first read about this in an old review of an SS396 El Camino (I think it was Car craft magazine). And guess what, the wagon is even better.

Ever hear of Long Roof Racing?

note very fond of it but heard of it.

But when i drove a 70 camino the back end couldnt stay down. while the 70 chevelle i drove was planted. i dont see more weight to the rear wheels on a Camino. But ill take your word.

How about picking up a 1996 Caprice Wagon and a economy sized pack of sawz-all blades? :)

How about picking up a 1996 Caprice Wagon and a economy sized pack of sawz-all blades? :)

then use a limo window to seperate tthe cabin from the bed. you might be on to somthing. :lol:

Don't think for a minute that this idea hasn't already crossed my twisted mind.

I actually did a little "cut and paste" with a 2 page ad for the '94 Impala SS when it first came out.

Yeah, i'm a little :stupid: when it comes to the El Camino.

I don't know if you'll be able to find an LS6 too easily, but I've seen LS1s on eBay every now and then. You only start 50HP down and with a couple mods you'd be at basically the same power or even more with the money you'd save most likely.

I looked into doing just that for my GTO and it would be the cheaper way. I'd like to find a real factory LS6 though, complete with the Corvette engine covers.

My dream El Camino is a late model Choo Choo custom.. I have an idea to take it one step further and attempt to modernize it here and there, Colorado taillights, modern interior, LS based engine. Only a dream for now...

My dream El Camino is a late model Choo Choo custom.. I have an idea to take it one step further and attempt to modernize it here and there, Colorado taillights, modern interior, LS based engine. Only a dream for now...

My 1987 CCC El CaminoSS was my first brand new car. I used to call the guy who bought it once a year to be sure he still had it. Last I heard, it still had less than 20k on it and lived in a heated garage under a cover. I'll post a bunch of pics once I get my scanner. I will miss that car forever.

well camino you know i def want to get my hands on the mods they did to the "judge" GTO's LS2 in waiting for once i get my own whatever way that happens. but whats with the cut and paste of the impala ss? you know i won't be able to have a torch for you to borrow until later this summer at least.... so lets stick to a whole care to start with haha

hey camino ill chip in with for the LS7 ok? go with that.  then when i get settled in with my next car all i ask is a race or two ok>? :ohyeah:

That would be alot of chipping in, LS7s are big bucks. Besides, it just has to be an LS6 - some things are meant to be.

• 1 month later...