Which Car should I get?

I'm not sure where I should post this, so I decided to post it here.

I will be going in the market in about a month or so to replace my Pontiac Grand Prix.

Anyways, I'm looking for features, luxury and I'm looking at these following vehicles, all priced for me below $33,000.

Buick Lucerne - CXL V6

http://www.buick.com/lucerne

Some highlights (over the others):

* Cooled Seats

* OnStar

* Buick Reliability

* Prestige look

* Remote Start

* Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Drawback(s):

* Manual Steering Column

* No adjustable foot pedals

* Analog Display

* Some features found in other cars (such as the power rear sunshade, auto up/down for windows, remote windows, etc..)

Hyundai Azera - Limited Edition

http://hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/azera/azera.aspx

Some Highlights:

* Power Steering Column, linked to memory settings

* Nice interior design

* Feature List

* Electronic Stability Control

* Overall styling (may not win any contests, but I like it)

* Power Folding Exterior Mirrors

* Price, fully loaded just over $29,000, but under $30,000.

Drawback(s):

* No Cooled Seats

* No Remote Start

* No Tire Pressure Monitoring System

* Drive side Mirror not auto-dimming

VW Jetta 2.0T

http://www.vw.com/jetta/index.html

Some Highlights:

* 12 Way adjustable seats

* Remote window down

* One Touch for up/down windows

* Turn Signal behind mirror

* Sleek Look (with chrome)

* Tire Pressure Monitoring

Drawback(s):

* No Cooled Seats

* No Remote Start

* Manual tilt steering column

Common Features in all of them:

* Leather Seats

* Wood Trim

* Heated front seats

* Automatic Temp. Control

* Heated outside mirrors

* Memory settings for at least the seat and mirrors

* Rain Sensing wipers

* Heated water jets or deicer

* Luxury Look

* Overall Reliability ratings (VW in question, Hyundai is up and do I need to say anything about Buick?)

So there is my list with some of my own likes and dislikes about each car, I was wondering what anybody thought or if you had any suggestions

Personally, if was was springing that much for a Jetta (and it's a pretty low possibility that I would), I'd go for the GLI that is much more attractive, IMO.

Between the Lucerne and Azera, I really like the Lucerne but the Azera doesn't look to be a bad package, either (aside from the cheap-looking center stack).

That said, for my taste the rear of the Azera is a bit too sedate but the much more powerful V6 is a pretty big plus for the Azera in my book.

My choice? If the Lucerne had the V8, it'd be no question but V6 Lucerne to Azera...I might still pick the Lucerne bit it would be more of a tossup for me.

I know a lot of guys here loathe it but out of curiousity have you looked at the Avalon?

Edited by Variance

Personally, if was was springing that much for a Jetta (and it's a pretty low possibility that I would), I'd go for the GLI that is much more attractive, IMO.

Between the Lucerne and Azera, I really like the Lucerne but the Azera doesn't look to be a bad package, either (aside from the cheap-looking center stack).

That said, for my taste the rear of the Azera is a bit too sedate but the much more powerful V6 is a pretty big plus for the Azera in my book.

My choice? If the Lucerne had the V8, it'd be no question but V6 Lucerne to Azera...I might still pick the Lucerne bit it would be more of a tossup for me.

I know a lot of guys here loathe it but out of curiousity have you looked at the Avalon?

Yes I have, I've just couldn't get the pricing to work right with the features that are in the cars above. The XLS is basically a Camry while the Limited is the one that packs the features I like and the features that are found in the cars above.

i wouldnt recomend the jetta...

if i were you i'd get the buick...

did you check out the Impala SS or LTZ?

or the Grand Prix GXP?

The Impala LTZ (was) a possible choice, but it lacks many of the features that the above cars have.

The Grand Prix GXP, IMO, looks very..very cheap and it too lacks the features.

Upper-level optioned Jettas start touching Passat prices...at which point I'd skip the Jetta and go on for the Passat.

-

But, between the three choices you provided us for discussion, each has its own desireablity factor.

-

The Lucerne and Azera probably offer similar driving dynamics, and the Hyundai has a better warranty. They both offer similar elegant styling, comfort, luxury, and are "mature" in their mission statement. Passion? Not really. Hmmm.

-

Ooohh, I'm not getting anywhere with this thought process - I'd skip the luxury cruisers and go see the VW dealer for a couple of test drives.

I see, I will be going to dealers soon for test drives.

I already test drove the Lucerne, I think it handled well but I did notice more than usual wind noise at highway speeds.

I will probbaly be going to a Hyundai and VW dealer in the near future to see how they drive.

id say lucerne i just like that vehicle and tho its heavy and big it has a nice torquey engine and its comfy and i think it looks better than the rest

it does look good, just with it being so heavy and the 197HP engine in it, I'm thinking it could be a bit slow.

Also, I think the CXL V6 just sounds like it is "sick".. not in the good way.

it does look good, just with it being so heavy and the 197HP engine in it, I'm thinking it could be a bit slow.

Also, I think the CXL V6 just sounds like it is "sick".. not in the good way.

last i remembered the fasest speed limit sign i have saw was 70mph/(110kmph[?])

But the buick will ride nicer and i thought it was a very nice car. the jetta to me looks bad. liked the old style better. And that other hunk of junk you mention is over priced, but has nice features.

How much more is it to opt for the V8 in the Lucerne? If it's less than $2k or so I say pay the extra cash for the V8, you'll thank yourself in the end. Plus, resale should be a good bit higher.

However, with the V6 it becomes a toss-up as others have said.

How much more is it to opt for the V8 in the Lucerne? If it's less than $2k or so I say pay the extra cash for the V8, you'll thank yourself in the end. Plus, resale should be a good bit higher.

However, with the V6 it becomes a toss-up as others have said.

Yeah, it has become a toss up. These cars are toying with me basically.. too bad I just can't get all of them, then I wouldn't have a problem...rofl.

last i remembered the fasest speed limit sign i have saw was 70mph/(110kmph[?])

But the buick will ride nicer and i thought it was a very nice car. the jetta to me looks bad. liked the old style better. And that other hunk of junk you mention is over priced, but has nice features.

I meant the acceleration and overall feel, not that I would be going 100mph+

Why is the Axera hunk of junk? (this isn't becuase of the Hyundai name plate is it?)

I meant the acceleration and overall feel, not that I would be going 100mph+

Why is the Axera hunk of junk? (this isn't becuase of the Hyundai name plate is it?)

No, I have been a passenger in one and after 6 months the cars quality went down. I noticed more gaps in panels, some more rattles. And wear marks on the interior. Maybe you'll have better luck than he did.

No, I have been a passenger in one and after 6 months the cars quality went down. I noticed more gaps in panels, some more rattles. And wear marks on the interior. Maybe you'll have better luck than he did.

Maybe, but I haven't decided yet.

I'm a GM fan, so I lean towards the Lucerne yet the Azera's features want to take me!..lol

How long do you plan on keeping your car? I wouldn't trust the Jetta any longer than the warranty lasts. The Hyundai, IMO, would be kind of murky as far as reliability goes, and the Buick is probably the most trustworthy and/or easy to repair, since it uses lots of "Tried & tested" parts.

Also, if you don't plan on keeping your car for very long, consider resale value. The Buick and Hyundai will drop like a rock, the Jetta will probably be pretty stable.

My advice: There are lots more cars out there in the $30,000-ish price range. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G35, Acura TSX & TL, SAAB 9-3 & 9-5, the Audi A3 and lower-end A4 models, lower-end BMW 3-Series models, Impala SS, the Chrysler LX models, or even loaded-up versions of the Mazda6, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mercury Milan... and the list goes on. Unless you have already considered all the alternatives and made up your mind on these three, I'd urge you to take a second look at some of the other cars on the market. You could get pretty much all the features you want and even save a few thousand bucks on many of them!

The Lucerne has the best exterior. But it is a vehicle of compromises, as you've noted. Have you looked at anything from Acura? They compete very well in the FWD near-lux segment and I was fairly impressed with them at LAIAS.

Otherwise you're should prolly go with the Lucerne, though it really needs more upgrades and I too would go for the V8.