Fond du Lac

ocnblu

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWl5UasH4Zc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWl5UasH4Zc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWl5UasH4Zc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:breakdance:

No, Bozo The Clown. It was apparently built by an older gentleman who had the time and money to accomplish something classically American. It's what's known as a "sleeper", for the uninitiated. It's real, and it's spectacular.

Interesting...looks like someone did a RWD conversion...wonder what the drivetrain is under there...would have been even more of a sleeper if they could have built it without the lame 'outlaw' style hood scoop.

I like the car... but the point of this competition is... what exactly.... increase the shareholder value for Bridgestone?

I think smoky burnouts are an element of the drag racing subculture.

Five hundred seventy-two cubic inches of Chevrolet Big Block power... wouldn't fit under the stock hood.

Probably got a tunnel ram w/ carburators or something that wouldn't fit under the stock hood. But more interesting, what is drivetrain--transmission, rear axle, etc? Wondering what dirty bits were used to cnvert a DTS to RWD..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

As one of my friends said after a wild ride in my 55 Chevy (back when I had it)...now we are runnin under GM power, boys....

Bottom of the lake

You no like?

I like the car... but the point of this competition is... what exactly.... increase the shareholder value for Bridgestone?

I always thought burnouts were to impress 16 year old girls, but this makes sense, assuming people of 68's ilk have the foresight to buy Bridgestone stock.

I always thought burnouts were to impress 16 year old girls, but this makes sense, assuming people of 68's ilk have the foresight to buy Bridgestone stock.

...yeah I don't get burnouts either. Just seems like trailer park kulture to me.

But more interesting, what is drivetrain--transmission, rear axle, etc? Wondering what dirty bits were used to cnvert a DTS to RWD..

Yeah, I want to know the same. Hopefully, Car Craft or someone will do a feature on this sleeper.

Knowing what most FWD cars look like underneath, I'm convinced that you could make a bolt-in RWD conversion for any large FWD car. Or nearly bolt-in. If Roush could do it for the Focus, DTS should be easy.

Not sure I care for the BB 572 approach. Its just too easy to get power from a LSx nowadays. That would have fit under the hood... and completed the sleeper look.

If anyone has any links to the construction of this beast, I'd like to see them. My Bonne still needs a tranny... maybe it needs the engine turned 90 degrees, as well. ;-)

Would have looked much better w/o the stupid scoop...and what's up w/ the old time air cleaner--this engine has a carburator? How old-school. An EFI LSx would have been a more modern approach that could have yielded a sleeper...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Here is the car

Hmm... Amazing that someone would do this to a perfectly good, 4 year old car. I figured they started off with something that had a terminal problem.

Interesting pictures... too bad they are too small to tell exactly whats going on... and the shop's website is terribly short on detail. _IF_ I was paying big bucks for something like this, I'd want to have a detailed idea of what they were doing.

While they kept the gauges working, its obvious that this is no longer computer controlled or emissions legal. I can't help but wonder if a cleaner conversion could have been done, with less of the body being chopped up.