Car and Driver and the acura with poor quality

Dsuupr

So I was reading this months Car and Driver at Target when I noticed an article about the long term acura they had that ended up in the shop more often than a 1985 Tempo.

Anyone got the article yet to enlight us on it?

Edited by Dsuupr

So I was reading this months Road and Track at Target when I noticed an article about the long term acura they had that ended up in the shop more often than a 1985 Tempo.

Anyone got the article yet to enlight us on it?

Funny. The same with Car and Driver's long-term RL.

yea, that cracked me up. but since all their staffers loved it for long drives they forgave the lemon. let's see them do that with a gm or ford car. yea, right. also, i read an article yesterday about a nyc ford/lexus store that was getting rid of its ford franchise due to slow ford sales. they were saying how their lexus service dept was so busy that they had to put in a second shift. gee, where is the japanese quality at lexus???

I read this too, though I was kind of expecting it, based on some of the common "first year bugs" I've read a lot about on some owner sites.

Still, it just goes to prove that even the "holy grail" of Japanese cars can have a lot of problems too, even if they are all small...doesn't matter, because it still requires another trip to the dealer :duh:

yea, that cracked me up. but since all their staffers loved it for long drives they forgave the lemon. let's see them do that with a gm or ford car. yea, right. also, i read an article yesterday about a nyc ford/lexus store that was getting rid of its ford franchise due to slow ford sales. they were saying how their lexus service dept was so busy that they had to put in a second shift. gee, where is the japanese quality at lexus???

There are such things as factory recommended service schedules to change the oil, check brake wear etc.

What a piece of crap......just read the C&D long-term report and I gotta tell you they were way too nice to Acura.

I agree the car is probably a great car to drive....and probably very comfortable....and I can attest the interior materials and fit-and-finish are superb.

But that doesn't excuse 8 unscheduled dealer service visits in such a short amount of time and mileage.

Does anyone remember the long-term test that C&D did on a 1982 Camaro? Admittedly the car was an absolute P.O.S. with all the problems they had....way worse than this Acura.....but they at least took GM to task and really ripped the car a new asshole in the report.

They should have done it to Acura this time.......

He means Acura RL/Honda Legend.

I know I was being sarcastic :AH-HA_wink:

There was a post about the problematic RL over at TOV. Apparently these were the problems:

-The sunroof breaks.

-There is a recall for the door speakers.

-Right front window and mirror stopped working

-Sunroof breaks again.

-Side view mirrors stop working.

-Power outlets stop working.

-Left rear headrest didn't stay up.

-Power outlets stopped working again.

-Navigation system rebooted itself while in use.

For anyone who has read the article, is this correct?

RL = 'Repaired Lately?'

Shame on C&D for not taking them below as they would other cars. Especially unacceptable for the price you pay and sacrifies you inherently make with an RL.

Their long-term SRX also had quite a few problems (cracking sunroof, wouldn't start, rattles), but overall, they gave the Caddy a very positive write-up.

See, I haven't read that at all, but I think there's a difference between giving a car a pass for some rattles/fitment issues/etc or what seems to be a haphazard problem, but multiple serious flaws merit attention.

I would consider a car not starting a bigger deal than any of the problems the RL had (even if it's just a lose connection). Regardless, no new car from any manufacturer (outside of Korea) should be having any of these problems.

sacrifies you inherently make with an RL.

The "sacrifices" you might be making would be based off of what vehicle you were comparing it to. There are no sacrifices inherent to the RL.

The "sacrifices" you might be making would be based off of what vehicle you were comparing it to. There are no sacrifices inherent to the RL.

In comparison to the last RL, you're sacrificing some interior room and cargo volume and IMO more road presence.

Well, surprise, surprise...

I looked over the article. Ddin't read it because I knew they'd say "Oh well, it's a god-like piece of perfection anyway--- as you were SHEEP!"

But don't worry; ayny non-brain washed buyer (are there any left?) can see right through that $h!... I mean 8 trips to the dealer??!?!?! C'mon!!!! And if these problems are evident throughout the line, then Acura is certainly taking a hit with it's consumers on perception and reality.... I'm sure C.R. saved the day for the car though.

What a piece of crap......just read the C&D long-term report and I gotta tell you they were way too nice to Acura.

I agree the car is probably a great car to drive....and probably very comfortable....and I can attest the interior materials and fit-and-finish are superb.

But that doesn't excuse 8 unscheduled dealer service visits in such a short amount of time and mileage.

Does anyone remember the long-term test that C&D did on a 1982 Camaro?  Admittedly the car was an absolute P.O.S. with all the problems they had....way worse than this Acura.....but they at least took GM to task and really ripped the car a new asshole in the report.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y...best review of all this on this board :AH-HA_wink:

There are sacrifices inherent to the RL just based on the segment

Yes, I was actually thinking about that after I posted above. You can think about it any way, every vehicle could have inherent sacrifices, Flybrian's post came off more like he was stating that everybody will have to make a sacrifice when buying the RL, which is incorrect. The sacrifice isn't so much inherent to the vehicle, but rather based off of each buyer's needs.

Does anyone remember the long-term test that C&D did on a 1982 Camaro?  Admittedly the car was an absolute P.O.S. with all the problems they had....way worse than this Acura.....but they at least took GM to task and really ripped the car a new asshole in the report.

I don't think even too many Nissan Quests see 8 dealer trips in that time period........

Their long-term SRX also had quite a few problems (cracking sunroof, wouldn't start, rattles), but overall, they gave the Caddy a very positive write-up.

ACTUALLY, the buff books have become quite lenient over the last couple years or so (ever since Mercedes cars went in the tank) about getting on MFR's case about these expensive cars to the point where they expect multiple problems due to all the bells and whistles and crap that can go wrong. Yet, a basic family hauler for 20 grand gets killed in the press if it has a leaky tire or a rattle on the dash.

Edited by regfootball

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

Yes, I was actually thinking about that after I posted above. You can think about it any way, every vehicle could have inherent sacrifices, Flybrian's post came off more like he was stating that everybody will have to make a sacrifice when buying the RL, which is incorrect. The sacrifice isn't so much inherent to the vehicle, but rather based off of each buyer's needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to get over the fact that Honda is inferior to what the marketplace demands.

Just like you.

I don't think even too many Nissan Quests see 8 dealer trips in that time period........

Oh, wow...almost forgot about that load of crap. Actually, from what I've read, if you bought a '04 model, 10+ trips isn't out of the question...at least until you lemon law it, or just decide to torch it in the driveway out of shear frustration 8)

Oh, wow...almost forgot about that load of crap.  Actually, from what I've read, if you bought a '04 model, 10+ trips isn't out of the question...at least until you lemon law it, or just decide to torch it in the driveway out of shear frustration 8)

i do know the 05 and 06's are dramatically improved and the 07 gets a stunning new interior. i would be confident in getting one now.

Call me crazy, but I want Honda to succeed. Not because I love them, but because most people that trade in there Honda, trade in for a Toyota. I feel we are in an automotive war. GM is trying to take Toyota on, but it would sure help if Toyota was being taken on by other companies as well. Think of WW2. The US and England fought like hell, but it may we may not have won if not for the Russians.

So today, Honda is our friend, when Toyota is dead, we will wage war on Honda!

Call me crazy, but I want Honda to succeed. Not because I love them, but because most people that trade in there Honda, trade in for a Toyota. I feel we are in an automotive war. GM is trying to take Toyota on, but it would sure help if Toyota was being taken on by other companies as well. Think of WW2. The US and England fought like hell, but it may we may not have won if not for the Russians.

So today, Honda is our friend, when Toyota is dead, we will wage war on Honda!

It would be best if all the larger manufacturers were equally competative. I don't want Honda to become what GM was or Toyota is/will be. The more competition the better the end product (and the better the prices) will be for us consumers. Right now, Toyota is in a position to charge more for a car knowing that people will buy it, chances are this will get worse too.

If a manufacturer is falling under, like GM, they need to figure out what their competition is doing to beat them, and do it better, rather than complaining about every other magazine article that is published, which might have some insight as to what they are doing wrong (even if it is biased). If the unions are dragging GM under, do something about it, and don't expect the media to let up, because they won't (that's their job).