Time Traveler Caught on Film?

LOL... I can't believe this turned up here.

I think its just a odd person. Ill fitting dentures can cause mouth jawing effects that may look like talking... and it was quite obvious to the "Time Traveler" that they were on camera... the cameras were huge back then... the hand might have been up to hid something on her face, to blow the wind or to hold a collar up. Yeah, she appears to be gripping something hard... but that appearance might be caused by arthritis or other hand problems.

Its just too hard to see clearly whats going on.

And I see background people in vintage photos appearing to talk on a cell phone quite a bit... in fact, one was posted on CnG in the last 10 days... And someone commented that someone in the photo looked like they were on the cell phone, until they remembered the age of the photo... I forget what thread that was in.

To dive further... why would a "time traveler" look like a wretched old lady? You would assume they came from a better time... and would have better health... and would at least look more 1928 "normal". Also, cell phone depend on networks... and there being another cellphone... unlikely to be found in 1928... though, for all you know, they are talking to another time traveler on a 2 way radio from the future.

For people who "people watch", I don't find this persons behavior that strange... or demonstrating of anything beyond 1928.

Of course, after this has come up, I think it would be a hilarious movie idea to have a butch, crotchety old lady go back in time and cause problems. Its a shame Anne Ramsey is no longer with us:

anne_ramsey_4JPG%5B1%5D.jpg

(Loudly at Chaplin's movie premere) "He's trying to kill me! I asked for the salted nuts. He brought me the unsalted nuts. The unsalted nuts make me choke!"

Yeah, I saw that one too and there is a second picture from that day too with him in it. That one I don't buy though, because the evidence posted proves to me that he isn't a time traveller. That cell phone one though is pretty convincing (again, to me).

I've been interested in time travel for a long time, primarily due to movies like The Time Machine (1960), Time After Time (1979), the Back To The Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990), and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - to name a few. If I could go back in time to witness history being made, I'd be as happy as a 5 year-old in a candy store :P

Yeah, I saw that one too and there is a second picture from that day too with him in it. That one I don't buy though, because the evidence posted proves to me that he isn't a time traveller. That cell phone one though is pretty convincing (again, to me).

I've been interested in time travel for a long time, primarily due to movies like The Time Machine (1960), Time After Time (1979), the Back To The Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990), and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - to name a few. If I could go back in time to witness history being made, I'd be as happy as a 5 year-old in a candy store :P

If time travel is real, would people go backwards and tamper with time or change events in their own lives?

If they could go forward to the future and see things would it be nice to know or a bad thing to know the future?

If I could travel in time and change events, I think I would tamper with GM's history. Roger Smith never would have become CEO of GM and other events we know about would have been changed.

The cars that got downsized in the 1980's never would have happened. The designs that came out at all the GM brands in the period of 1989-1992 when they upsized the cars would have come out as 1985-1986 models.

Um...can I just point out the VERY OBVIOUS that even IF someone travelled back in time with a cell phone, they wouldn't be talking on it unless their Delorean could also fit a cell tower inside it too! And a satellite! And a satellite launcher!! And therefore Cape Canaveral!!

My god, is humanity really getting so stupid they don't even know how their everyday gadgets work??

Um...can I just point out the VERY OBVIOUS that even IF someone travelled back in time with a cell phone, they wouldn't be talking on it unless their Delorean could also fit a cell tower inside it too! And a satellite! And a satellite launcher!! And therefore Cape Canaveral!!

My god, is humanity really getting so stupid they don't even know how their everyday gadgets work??

May be the time traveler was the subset of the very humanity species you mentioned, who felt like calling her BFF to tell about her being in 1920s. The photo might have been snapped right at that time when she was yelling, "Can you hear me now."

Being a Time Lord would be interesting...those Daleks are nasty to deal with, though.

Watching super cheesy Dr Who episodes as a kid in the '70s-80s got me interested in the idea of space-time travel.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

While I dont believe it was a time traveler, maybe in the future cell phones work differently without infrastructure. Maybe its a self contained transmitter receiver.

If time travel is real, would people go backwards and tamper with time or change events in their own lives?

In general, current theory is that you can't. Casualty is preserved by creating new universes for the time traveler to live in. The universe the time traveler leaves stays the same, except the the time traveler can never come back to it, and goes missing.

If they could go forward to the future and see things would it be nice to know or a bad thing to know the future?

Again, you can't really come back without being separated from this universe. So things are fine from your point of view... but the future you experience will have a different outcome because it actually happens in a different universe from the one your visited briefly.

If I could travel in time and change events, I think I would tamper with GM's history. Roger Smith never would have become CEO of GM and other events we know about would have been changed.

The cars that got downsized in the 1980's never would have happened. The designs that came out at all the GM brands in the period of 1989-1992 when they upsized the cars would have come out as 1985-1986 models.

Well, that would be a dream for many of us. I always wanted a Tardis-like time machine... but one that looked like a two car garage... so I could go car shopping in 1967.

And interestingly enough, current multiple universe theory suggests that a that future is playing out somewhere right now. There would be a universe for every possible outcome of events... as we sit reading this, we are creating one universe by siting in your chair still... and another where you scratched your nose.

Unfortunately, we are living in one of the sets of universes where GM lost their mojo.

While I dont believe it was a time traveler, maybe in the future cell phones work differently without infrastructure. Maybe its a self contained transmitter receiver.

Quantum entangled qubits? Of course, buying new packages of entangled qubits would tend to be very expensive.

Of course, I find it interesting the idea of talking to someone on a cell phone from a different time... someone from 2028 calling someone visiting 1928... because the two ends of the communication are both moving through the 4th dimension. Knowing that time is not constant... and depends on the relativity of the observer... e.g.., the present day GPS units are in motion and age slower from our perspective, this becomes, to me, a much more complicated technical challenge than "simple" time travel.

This is akin to driver communication by yelling to another driver while in motion... easy to do at 25mph... a bit improbable at 769mph. The carrier of the sound is not really quick enough. Makes me wonder if entangled qubits would work... but entanglement is a weird science... after all, it seems to violate special relativity by being faster than the speed of light, but it speed of communication is still limited to the speed of light.

No, I'm not a physicist, but I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night.

One thing I find especially hilarious is the amount of coverage this is getting. Its seems to be everywhere on the Internet... millions of people are talking about it... and it was likely one of the least important 5 second moments of this woman's life.

As a normal, non-celebrity, can you imagine that maybe 5% of the human population... say, 33% of the US population 82 years in the future would find something unimportant you did, caught on a low res security camera, captivating? In the case of this woman, who has likely been deceased for 70 years.

One thing I find especially hilarious is the amount of coverage this is getting. Its seems to be everywhere on the Internet... millions of people are talking about it... and it was likely one of the least important 5 second moments of this woman's life.

As a normal, non-celebrity, can you imagine that maybe 5% of the human population... say, 33% of the US population 82 years in the future would find something unimportant you did, caught on a low res security camera, captivating? In the case of this woman, who has likely been deceased for 70 years.

Yes, it's surreal...I've heard references to it in at leaast 5 different podcasts this week, and saw references to it all over Twitter. Amazing how something like this blows up into an Internet meme so quickly..

Of course, I find it interesting the idea of talking to someone on a cell phone from a different time... someone from 2028 calling someone visiting 1928... because the two ends of the communication are both moving through the 4th dimension. Knowing that time is not constant... and depends on the relativity of the observer... e.g.., the present day GPS units are in motion and age slower from our perspective, this becomes, to me, a much more complicated technical challenge than "simple" time travel.

This is akin to driver communication by yelling to another driver while in motion... easy to do at 25mph... a bit improbable at 769mph. The carrier of the sound is not really quick enough. Makes me wonder if entangled qubits would work... but entanglement is a weird science... after all, it seems to violate special relativity by being faster than the speed of light, but it speed of communication is still limited to the speed of light.

No, I'm not a physicist, but I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night.

Continuing on this... why does she have to be talking across time? Couldnt she simple be talking to another traveler who also came to 1928 with her?

Continuing on this... why does she have to be talking across time? Couldnt she simple be talking to another traveler who also came to 1928 with her?

I didn't say she had to, I just thought the idea was interesting. Other forums talking about this have mentioned it.

Of course, if more than one time traveler came back in time, why get separated from the group? What if, unknown to you, your cohort goes back to the future without you? It's debatable if having such a device would be of great value unless it can reach anyone... well... at any time.

One thing I would mention, however, is that without infrastructure, its not really a "cell phone" anymore... it just a long distance two-way radio. I guess without an infrastructure to dial on, it would generally be a party line, unless one phone defaulted to being the master controller.

• 2 years later...

I cannot get the links to open up currently, but I think I know what images you are talking about. If I recall correctly, the images were debunked as not involving time travel. One of the ladies in the picture came forward and explained what had happened. Apparently Motorola was in fact developing something similar to a cell phone back in the 1950's and had given a few of the devices to some people to try out around their building outside. That is what was photographed. The device she was holding was a very real and working precursor to our cell phones, but they were decades off before they would become mainstream. I think the one she was using was more like a walkie talkie.