Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Need help choosing....

So this is the deal, I was going to get a Camaro or Trans Am, but it's apparently out of the question because the insurance is way too high. Basically, this was a kick in the balls because that's all I ever focused on and never looked into any other cars. I really like muscle cars, but unfortunately the insurance is too high and the only ones available in my price range are Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang, but of course I would never buy a piece of garbage Mustang. I need help trying to find a GM used car that comes with a V8 and has decent performance for under $20,000. I was thinking maybe a Monte Carlo SS or a Pontiac Grand Prix, but both are hard to find with a V8. Is there any other domestic out there that fits this description? Thanks in advance

Did you check insurance on a GTO? You should be able to get a used '04 for $20k by now if you look around (they're hard to find, which makes it even harder to find a good deal).

A used Cobalt SS S/C would also be fun, and the insurance should be less than a GTO, but it doesn't have a V8.

I doubt you'll find any GP or MC SS with the V8 for sub-$20k yet since they're both pretty new.

I doubt you'll find any GP or MC SS with the V8 for sub-$20k yet since they're both pretty new.

Unless of course, he's talking about an 80s G-body Monte SS/Grand Prix

If you aren't really too picky and can take a sedan, if you're lucky you might be able to find a good condition b-body Impala SS. I'm sure that will be well under $20k so you have some money left over for aftermarket parts :AH-HA_wink:

AM,

Depending on how old of a car you want ... check out montecarloss.com ... specifically the for sale section ... for 4th gen MC SSs....plenty of 'em with V8s ;).

If, however, you want newer ('90s and up), the only MCs to come with a V8 are the 2006s....

Good luck with your search!

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I'm just out to find the better part of me" ... 5 For Fighting ... 'Superman'

Assuming you're looking at the '80s G-Bodies (GP/MC), why don't you look into Buick Regals/Grand Nationals and Olds Cutlass Supremes???  What state do you live in and what's your price range???

I live in Massachusetts, which has set insurance prices so I can't go looking for a good deal, and can only spend under $20,000 dollars. I am currently looking at a Monte Carlo SS with the supercharger and I think it's a special edition with black paint and orange stripes. I don't know what I think of it yet, but does anyone know how it drives? Does it feel like a muscle car or some rice car or neither? Can any former/current Monte Carlo owners help me out?

I have a grand prix GT, so its similar to a monte.... my advice, find the high sport version of the SS w/o the supercharger...... all the SC does is make you use premium fuel and its one more thing that needs service and can break.

My car has 200hp and its sporty......but nothing compared to a V8... i drove a S/C grand prix one time and couldnt tell that much of a difference.

I am currently looking at a Monte Carlo SS with the supercharger and I think it's a special edition with black paint and orange stripes.

Hmm...sounds like that is the Tony Stewart edition.

And, no, those do not come with V8s, as you had noted you wanted in your original post....

Hmm...sounds like that is the Tony Stewart edition.

And, no, those do not come with V8s, as you had noted you wanted in your original post....

Yes, it is the Tony Stewart edition, I looked at it today. I liked it a lot, except for the Nascar stickers because I'm not a very big Nascar fan, but get this, they're selling it to me BRAND NEW NEVER USED for $19,900 and it's a $30,000+ car, plus they're gonna remove the Nascar stickers for me. I'm saving about $12,500 in discount money. The insurance for the Camaro was through the roof, and I wanted a 2006 MC SS but it costed too much, so I'm set on the Tony Stewart edition "Nascar." I think it will be perfect if I just get a magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust to give it that Nascar/muscle sound. Thanks a lot guys for all the help and suggestions! :thumbsup:

Edited by AmericanMuscle

Yes, it is the Tony Stewart edition, I looked at it today.  I liked it a lot, except for the Nascar stickers because I'm not a very big Nascar fan, but get this, they're selling it to me BRAND NEW NEVER USED for $19,900 and it's a $30,000+ car, plus they're gonna remove the Nascar stickers for me.  I'm saving about $12,500 in discount money.  The insurance for the Camaro was through the roof, and I wanted a 2006 MC SS but it costed too much, so I'm set on the Tony Stewart edition "Nascar."  I think it will be perfect if I just get a magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust to give it that Nascar/muscle sound.  Thanks a lot guys for all the help and suggestions!  :thumbsup:

Sounds good.. you sure it's not supercharged? My friend's mom has the same car and it's SC'd.

B-body!

For like $8,000 you can get a mint condition low milage 9C1 or a not-so-high milage Impala SS. :)

B-body!

For like $8,000 you can get a mint condition low milage 9C1 or a not-so-high milage Impala SS. :)

i'm in that boat, try to find a low mileage 96 Impala SS... or a caprice... but its 10 year old vehicle so insurance wont be too bad... and its got 265 hp with tons and tons of modabilty, because its your good old fastion LT1... thats a muscle engine if ive ever seen one :)

Sounds good.. you sure it's not supercharged? My friend's mom has the same car and it's SC'd.

Yes, I forgot to mention that it is supercharged, thanks for pointing that out. I came across a deal on autotrader that seemed kind of hard to pass up though, check this out: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...g=en&cardist=56

And it's clean, as you can see in the car fax history report. For that money, I don't see how I could go wrong, but the insurance may still be too costly. The Monte Carlo itself might be too expensive too, but I'm still looking into a used 3rd gen or early-mid 90's Camaro because there would be no car payments every month and the insurance wouldn't be so bad on an older one. Finding the perfect car is such a tough decision that takes such a long of time...

i'm in that boat, try to find a low mileage 96 Impala SS... or a caprice... but its 10 year old vehicle so insurance wont be too bad... and its got 265 hp with tons and tons of modabilty, because its your good old fastion LT1... thats a muscle engine if ive ever seen one :)

Thank you man for bringing up the Impalas of the 90s, I almost completely forgot about those. I have to look into them more...