Charger SRT-8 VS GTO

Posted Image

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...pes_comparison/

It was a pretty fair comparison I think. Both are hella powerful, the GTO is a bit farter to 60 since it's lighter, but the Charger handles better, and is easier to get the power out. Goat is cheaper but the Charger has more standard equipment and performance mods. GTO has a nicer interior design, but the Charger is roomier, more practicle, and has things the Goat doesn't. Charger loooks badass...th GTO doesn't.

"The Charger is the obvious choice--the best musclecar for the job. Not only does it look the part--no other V-8-powered American sedan appears as ominous--but it plays the part with an involving driving experience, be it sensationally, aesthetically, or acoustically. That's a powerful argument--one we're sure Ezra Scattergood would appreciate."

Let the posting begin!

Yeah, but why would you want a two year old used car for $27K??  :huh:

He doesn't mean a used one, but a new one.

I've seen plenty of folks over at LS1GTO get new 2005s for $25k.

As for this thread... did we really need to rehash this topic? I don't think we got anywhere last time.

He doesn't mean a used one, but a new one.

I've seen plenty of folks over at LS1GTO get new 2005s for $25k.

As for this thread... did we really need to rehash this topic? I don't think we got anywhere last time.

lol you're right, but I thought I'd post it anyway ^^;

Yeah, but why would you want a two year old used car for $27K??  :huh:

I'm taking into the account that I can go up to my local B-P-GMC store and get a 2005 6.0l GTO for $26-27k >>>>brand-new<<<< with maybe a hundred miles on the clock. That is bang for the buck.

:huh:

As much as people are split on the looks of the GTO, I would take that car over the Charger. The Charger is nice but, give me a manual, a coupe, and a lower price anyday and I will make any changes I want with the money left over. The Charger still has that fugly old Intrepid rear end on it. Duh! of course the Charger is roomier...it has 4 doors compared to...2 doors! There is not really any options on the GTO to begin with either, so it already has everything you need, except for 18" wheels and the 6 speed. Am I wrong?! Unless you get the factory optioned bodykit with the racier sounding exhaust included. Which sounds F#cking great by the way!!

There is not really any options on the GTO to begin with either, so it already has everything you need, except for 18" wheels and the 6 speed. Am I wrong?! Unless you get the factory optioned bodykit with the racier sounding exhaust included. Which sounds F#cking great by the way!!

The GTO is missing a whole lot of things. Like Stability Control, a sunroof, a usable trunk, a navigation system, side impact airbags, satellite radio, MP3 playback capability, heated seats, brake assist, a standard track day package, and of course, an up-to-date automatic transmission. The Charger SRT8 has all of that standard or available.

Edited by Buick61

QUOTE(Flybrian @ Mar 27 2006, 02:17 PM)

I'm taking into the account that I can go up to my local B-P-GMC store and get a 2005 6.0l GTO for $26-27k >>>>brand-new<<<< with maybe a hundred miles on the clock. That is bang for the buck.

I guess I just don't see the big benifit of buying a 2 year old car that has 100 miles on it. BTW, how can it be a "brand new" car with 100 miles on it? Why not just buy a two year old used one with like 10,000 miles on it for like $20K then. :scratchchin:

I guess I just don't see the big benifit of buying a 2 year old car that has 100 miles on it. BTW, how can it be a "brand new" car with 100 miles on it? Why not just buy a two year old used one with like 10,000 miles on it for like $20K then. :scratchchin:

If you buy a new car, you have the full warranty. If you buy the two year old one, you have 1 year left on the warranty.

There doesn't exist a zero-mileage car, unless it was teleported from the assembly line to the lot and never driven. Transporting the car from the factory to the dealership and test-drives account for the mileage. I really can't believe I had to explain that. And how do you figure 2 years old? It depends on the build date.

There doesn't exist a zero-mileage car, unless it was teleported from the assembly line to the lot and never driven. Transporting the car from the factory to the dealership and test-drives account for the mileage. I really can't believe I had to explain that. And how do you figure 2 years old? It depends on the build date.

I've never seen a new car on a lot with 100 or more miles on it, but I guess I haven't test driven all that many. I guess people probably like to test drive the GTO's......but they just don't buy them?

2005 model year is two years old, as companies have been building 2007's already. If you go to sell your car 5 years down the road.......do you think you would get more for a 2005 or a 2007?

While the jellybean look of the GTO isn't the best...the "rolling brick" look of the charger is not attractive at all...not to mention except for the front it isn't exactly that distinctive either.

I think that muscle cars should at least have some "rolling brick" look. They shouldn't appear to be sleek and smooth, thats the realm of sports cars, not muslce cars IMO.

Muscle cars should look big and mean, which the charger does a lot better than the GTO

The GTO is missing a whole lot of things.  Like Stability Control, a sunroof, a usable trunk, a navigation system, side impact airbags, satellite radio, MP3 playback capability, heated seats, brake assist, a standard track day package, and of course, an up-to-date automatic transmission.  The Charger SRT8 has all of that standard or available.

Trunk's fine, sunroof that is optional on Monaro is available in the US, the rest of that crap doesn't interest me.

Real musclecars have 2-doors and a manual trans.

Trunk's fine, sunroof that is optional on Monaro is available in the US, the rest of that crap doesn't interest me.

Real musclecars have 2-doors and a manual trans.

A real muscle car isn't determined by the number of doors it has. That's stupid to still be harping on the damn thing cuz it's got a couple extra doors. So by your definition all it would take to have a mucle car is a stick and 2 doors...so guess the Omni was a better muscle car? Spare me. The Charger SRT-8 has got craploads of power, badass looks IMO, great brakes and handling. That seems like the prerequisites for a good muscle car to me. So it has a couple extra doors? OMFG it's practicle for families now so Dad can convince the Mom that it's practicle for the family and still get to smoke most of the cars on the road. Heaven forbid! Get over the damn doors, jeez.

I do agree about a manual tranny...having one as an option would be nice, but I hear the 5-speed autobox is quite good so at least it doesn't suck.

So by your definition all it would take to have a mucle car is a stick and 2 doors...so guess the Omni was a better muscle car?

He never said any 2 door car with a stick was a muscle car, he said all muscle cars had 2 doors and a stick, there's a difference.

If my dad would have let me get a GTO with a stick, it'd have one, but I'm still happy it has the sleek look that you get with 2 doors.

If musclecars aren't supposed to be two doors, why did the Charger community get crazy mad that the new Charger was a 4-door?

He never said any 2 door car with a stick was a muscle car, he said all muscle cars had 2 doors and a stick, there's a difference.

If my dad would have let me get a GTO with a stick, it'd have one, but I'm still happy it has the sleek look that you get with 2 doors.

If musclecars aren't supposed to be two doors, why did the Charger community get crazy mad that the new Charger was a 4-door?

I coulda sworn I replied this alread...Oh well

Are you familiar with the term "living in the past" that's how I think a lot of the naysayers from the Charger community were looking at the Charrger. ALso because this car is indeed quite a departure from the original. Still most have learned that griping about door numbers is stupid and that the car indeed does the name proud, since it can perform better than the original Charger, looks good, annnd since it has some practicality will seel well and not dissappear like the original. I myself neer cared about the 4-door bit...the styling took some time to warm up to , but after sseeing them in person ands eeing the SRTR-8, I was sold. So no, it doesn't have 2 doors to be a proper muscle car, as long as it looks cool and performs. ALthough if it were a hatchback...well then that's be odd. :lol:

Besides, the Charger has it's place, and to all thhose who want a munal coupe with a hemi, the Challenger will satify them.

I coulda sworn I replied this alread...Oh well

Are you familiar with the term "living in the past" that's how I think a lot of the naysayers from the Charger community were looking at the Charrger. ALso because this car is indeed quite a departure from the original. Still most have learned that griping about door numbers is stupid and that the car indeed does the name proud, since it can perform better than the original Charger, looks  good, annnd since it has some practicality will seel well and not dissappear like the original. I myself neer cared about the 4-door bit...the styling took some time to warm up to , but after sseeing them in person ands eeing the SRTR-8, I was sold. So no, it doesn't have 2 doors to be a proper muscle car, as long as it looks cool and performs. ALthough if it were a hatchback...well then that's be odd. :lol:

Besides, the Charger has it's place, and to all thhose who want a munal coupe with a hemi, the Challenger will satify them.

We are never going to agree on this so I'll let the debate part of things go and just explain my position better.

To me a musclecar is a two door, v8 powered, manual transmission coupe with a useable backseat. I can respect the need for a car like the current Charger (although not at the expense of a coupe and not called Charger). However, I just plain hate the looks. And only being offered in automatic form instantly disqualifies the car for me. Additionally, I am as sick of sedans as I am of FWD. I don't mind that they exist, I'd just like to have more coupe choices rather than yet another oh-so-common sedan. I can even appreciate a good sport sedan(read M5), but the musclecar treatment has only worked well on a sedan once that I can think of and even that car should have been a coupe with a manual. On the Charger, It just looks so wrong to me and I would rather have seen that car be a more subtle sport sedan package. The 70's-style graphics and names slapped on what is admittedly a very capable car, just kinda turns me off.

With all of that said, let me be the first to say from the bottom of my GM-loving heart: The Challenger is simply sex on wheels and I would be proud to own one. :thumbsup: