New Diesels for GM trucks!

S10Baja

Check out this thread in GMINSIDENEWS...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28959

Does anyone know about these engines, in terms of HP,TQ, and transmissions to be used behind them?

There was mention of a 4.5L V-8 for the fullsizers and a 2.9L V-6 for the Colorado/Canyon, and based on the current DuraMax 6.6 specs I figured the following:

Engine..........HP........TQ

6.6L.............360......650....=....54.54 HP/Liter......98.5 TQ/Liter

4.5L.............245......443.........(based on above calculations)

2.9L.............158......285..........(Same as above)

These are just estimates....Maybe my math is wrong, but it should be close.

I want a 2008? Avalanche with a 4.5L diesel and heavy duty 6spd. automatic..

Any word on the heavy duty 4 spd. getting replaced with a heavy duty six speed trans????

Current GM-Isuzu Diesels

3.0 L V6 (the 3.0 L in question is a V6 to replace this engine)

Engine (Isuzu/GM code) Capacity  power (kW PS hp)    torque (Nm lb-ft)
6DE1       Y30DT       2958 181  135 184 181 @ 4000  400 295 @ 1900       18.5:1 Isuzu
3.0 L I4 (truck engine, available in Thai Colorado)
4JJ1-TC                2999 183  107 146 144 @ 3600  294 217 @ 1400-3400  17.5:1 IEMT

GM has three major diesel engineering centers:

GMI Diesel Engineering in Japan (Isuzu is a minority partner)

Isuzu Motor Germany (again a GM company)

GM Powertrain Europe in Torino/Turin, Italy.

GM - controlled production bases are:

Kaiserslautern, Germany (1.9 L)

GM/Fiat JV plant in Poland (1.3 L)

Isuzu Motors Poland (1.7 L)

DMAX Ltd in USA (6.6 L)

GMI has a development of the 4JJ1 which will be built by DMAX once 2007 emissions are satisfied — power should be up, 175 hp would be competitive with VM Motori (DCX) and International. Ouput rumored for the higher-speed V6 is 240 PS, ahead of standard Audi, Mercedes/VM and BMW sixes, although HO dual-turbo engines are over 260 PS and 400 lb-ft.

Since when is the STS that large? I'll take one in a RWD DTS. :unitedstates:

If they can get a NorthStar or a supercharged Northstar in there, they can fit a 4.8 litre <pushrod most likely> diesel engine.

They can get the 5.7 in the CTS, they can get a 4.8 in the STS. :P

You're thiunking the V6 diesels, not the latest V8s from Mercedes and Audi, which are both over 300 hp, while the BMW and Mercedes V8s are over 500 lb ft. A larger GM V8 should naturally produce more power. This is a car engine, a V6 truck engine is another thing. The only modern 6-cylinder light truck engines I know of are the Cummins 600/610 in the Ram, and two International engines, a 238 PS 4.5 L V6 based on the Powerstroke 6.0 L V8, and the common-rail version of the Sprint 4.2 L I6 producing up to 245 PS, based on the Sprint 2.8 L I4 in the Brazilian S10/Blazer. Toyota has an older 4.2 L I6 used in the LandCruiser, but despite direct injection it isn't as efficient as the new 5.3 L V8 in the Tahoe and only produces 190-200 hp.