2011 Buick Regal CXL and CXL TURBO (UPDATED WITH TURBO MANUAL)

Driven, Buick Regal CXL and CXL Turbo. More specifics later. Drove each of them.

I will rate highs and lows as they pertain to both or to each of them. I will rewrite this more legibly as I have more time.

HIGHS

"Right size" car

"Intimate" but not "claustrophic" interior cabin

Lots of standard content

quiet tuned! (let's have a conversation, honey)

Styling, inside and out

Solid build quality, inside and out

Comfortable seating, very adjustable power seats

Genuinely sophisticated and quality demeanor

gauges and displays are dead on in the perfect spots.

fantastic 'touch points' (stalks, door pulls, wheel, SWAC, center stack, shifter)

steering wheel, with one exception, is fantastic. Right diameter, nice and thick.

Lots of audio source and menu options with the H/K system

A tremendously pleasing combination of ride quality, bump isolation, roll stiffness, steering quickness and feel. (Well composed road manners)

"sufficient" base engine that is not -deficient- in power, has very good refinement, revs nicely, and sounds great

"satisfying" turbo motor, no real hint of -turbo- lag, gains quickness very well above 3500 or so rpm, often displays a few nuts, excellent refinement.

if the transmission shifts in the fashion you expect, the shifts are pretty well done and they do shift quickly without jolt (did not try manual mode)

trunk space, shape, access

car has the same satisfying and surprising personality as the LaCrosse (they feel a lot a like in many ways)

I liked and did not mind the center stack button and knob layout (took a little time to learn)

6th gear LOW rpm at 65-80 mph (trip speeds)

German smell!

LOWS

Brake pedal felt a tish sloppy on the base car

side mirrors shaped odd and unacceptably small

Nose heavy, moreso on the turbo, wish the weight balance was better

Car felt a bit heavy overall (the penalty for a solid feel)

a little more torque in the base model would be ok.

turbo is quick but not a v6 replacement for the most picky who like their torque steer and wheelspin in dramatic doses

lots of badges on the trunk! (CXL, Buick, Regal, "T", E85, the tri shield) Enough already!

Some folks may find the back seat a tad tight (it's not at all as bad as the Cruze)

Some folks may not like the "intimate" interior, it may be too much so for some

Mailslot rear view visibility, not much glass area out the sides in back either

small moonroof opening, aka 'why even bother'

trunk height could be a little more.

traditional Buick fans will be disoriented by this new personality

the airbag part of the steering wheel is too big and bulbous, silver trim on SW glares up in your eyes

both the base stereo and H/K audio were disappointing, and the H/K upgrade was not much better sounding IMO (not worth the extra money, just for the sound quality)

Some folks may freak out trying to get the seats adjusted (too many? adjusters)

Some folks won't have the mental ability to figure out the center stack

a lot of options run up the price a tish high

transmission performance (while overstated by the buff books to a much higher level than it should be) most specifically on the base car needs to be addressed. In no way is it a deal breaker. I will elaborate in a separate post.

maybe not -quite- sharp enough reflexes to qualify as a 'sport' sedan (but hey that's why there is a GS)

SUMMARY

I kind of fell into testing these cars today. I had not wanted to test a Regal, because if I figured if I did, it would upset me (because I really like the car but its out of my means).

I also just really wanted to wait to try them side by side to see how big the difference really is in the powertrain.

My first overall thought is that the Regal either in turbo or non turbo is a very nice and satisfying car that gives the impression of refinement and quality in sufficient doses. And with really nice performance (on tiered levels).

Anyone who ever lamented the loss of the v6 G8, be assured, either Regal is a much more refined and enjoyable piece.

I think first and foremost this is a comfortable car, but it accomplishes that (which few cars do today) without at all being a puff cruiser (like a Lucerne).

It shares a performance personality with a LaCrosse, all while not stepping in the LaCrosse's toes. Each car has distinction in its own way. Sometimes you will struggle with why you like either better. Depends on the day.

The Regal is not a wrong decision, and I mean that regardless of whether its a turbo or not.

The base car.......if not too overly expensive.......... will satisfy the person looking for a great commuter and long distance car with luxury, ride and handling, comfort, solid feel and build quality. I think it would be unreasonable for anyone to have remorse with the base car as long as they drive the turbo also and make an educated choice within their budget and against their priorities as far as options. If not optioned up a lot, it seems to actually be a bargain.

The turbo......noticeably better and more satisfying powertrain performance without changing any of the other character of what is good on the base model.

Overall.....I just love the car. While if I were shopping hard myself I may feel compelled to get a car with just a little more interior space (the ONLY pause I would have to buying a Regal for myself and family...and then there is a larger LaCrosse!), I just have a hard time finding much fault with this car. I think anyone who got in one for a spin would love it. I say that without having tested a lot of 30k plus cars but really most of the faults against the Regal in the buff books are overblown IMO and I am typically critical of any car I drive myself.

Now instead of wanting one, I REALLY want one. Such is the misery of life. I would be giddy to drive this thing every day. And so would more folks out there than they could imagine (camry owners, even regular Passat owners, that is you). I'd like to grab badge snob twenty somethings who are lower end 3 series shopping for the badge and take them on a drive in the Regal.

Perhaps Buick could have made the turbo standard, but they wanted to keep the starting price down some, and I think in the end I actually appreciate having that option to pick from.

What GM can really do for ME now is to bring the wagon!

I would give the car an A, but the base models lightly schizophrenic tranny and the crappy audio on both models make me ding it a tish to

A-

Those are really the only big nits I can find on the car. go drive one!

Edited by regfootball

Great review, and nice mention of even the G8.

I've taken a break from GM, but if back to a car, the Regal is near one of my top few. Teutonic package, even just without any additional options. DI 2.4L, etc. are a nice mix.

I need to get more seat time in one.

my official position on that is hinted at above. It depends on your financial ability and whether you have more bells and whistles as a priority.

I see two or three scenarios by which I myself would get into this car. The first is leasing, in which event it more dependent on first cost and how or if the lease is subsidized.

If i recall the turbo is a net add of like 2500 bucks? In my situation, if i am purchasing and can manage 28 thousand I think i would be doing myself a disservice to not think hard about the extra for the turbo, but at the same time I would be comfortable with myself if I skipped on it.

I just think i would try really hard to make it happen. My priority would be turbo over say, NAV.

That said, I have no idea how the adjustable suspension is. But if you got that you totally would need the turbo.

Then the GS just complicates things. In my mind, I would love to find out if that GS has that extra edge that makes the car FUN instead of just pleasing.

And there is a price point, I don't know if its 35 or what, where even the turbo should have a higher level of performance to justify its price. Again, when do you move up beyond the turbo to the GS?

GM has it all set up correctly. You just should take time and decide what you prefer best. This is the way it should be. And Buick is not setting themselves up for any of their buyers to have remorse, I don't think.

I haven't driven the turbo Sonata yet, but the regular Sonata does seem like a bit of a puff piece after being in the Regal. And the Regal feels much nicer all around. Sonatas will be like the village bicycle in a couple years. Get into a Regal and not many of your buddies will still have one.

I am so totally wanting to find out how the GS drives......I would even pick the automatic possibly. I hope the GS isn't so nose heavy.

Just actually to add and i can get into more detail later, but you need to get the turbo if the slightly schizo tranny on the base car bothers you.

Edited by regfootball

Great review, and nice mention of even the G8.

I've taken a break from GM, but if back to a car, the Regal is near one of my top few. Teutonic package, even just without any additional options. DI 2.4L, etc. are a nice mix.

I need to get more seat time in one.

G8 is a very nice car, but it always felt too large to me, and I dare say it was not as buttoned down as the Regal is. The G8 GT of course was much more refined than the v6 G8. That G8 felt like 5 years old to me already when I drove it for the first time new. The suspension and ride etc. and the quietness on the Regal has more detail and engineering put into it.

• 4 weeks later...

update on this thread regarding the optional H/K audio.

this is an expensive option.

I stopped by Buick store to further examine the optional audio, more specifically to judge the sound and armed with DVD-Audio discs and another DTS audio disc....determine if the sound system was worth the money and if it had the chops to blow you away on sound.

my test drives of the Regal before revealed what i call unacceptable sound quality.

I had hoped that 5.1 channels of discrete, high resolution sound could improve the sound in there but i have to say despite a large amount of time with tone adjustments, you just cannot get what you want for sound out of this system. Or your money's worth, for that matter.

The sound is not clear enough, but the biggest problem is just that the speakers must be really poor too and the power behind the system is not premium.

If there is anything that should give music the opp to shine its a 5.1 high res DVD-A disc. Which, give it props, the Regal's H/K audio system DOES PLAY. With full menus and all.

Buick should remove the power restrictions and other electronic and programming hindrances to this system....and likewise put some actual quality speakers in it.

I had always been wanting to be able to possibly have a car that could play my DVD-A collection. Doesn't matter now. Between the signal the system feeds to the speakers and speakers itself, its pointless to bother with anything pertaining to 'quality' audio on this Regal.

You might as well stick with the base sound since both setups suck anyways.

Edited by regfootball

the upgraded audio does have more power. But the sound quality is just not at all what it should be. There used to be complaints about the Saturn Astra radios, especially the upgraded one also. For some reason the Opel systems the promise far outweighs the performance.

Bottom line, the sound quality and overall power are both lacking for a premium car. I think the feature set is there.

• 2 months later...

TEST UPDATE

Driven Buick Regal CXL Turbo Manual MSRP 29,495 2.0l turbo 6 speed manual

Here are some additional notes beyond the previous tests. Primarily this is to address the turbo + 6 speed manual powertrain.

In a nutshell, a very quality car. The impression again I am left with this car is that it is a lasting piece. And man, is it quiet and comfortable. It's PAOLINO comfortable.

Seriously, it's almost creepy quiet. There is definitely something to the quiet tuning. Almost to the point where it lacks some personality. You just don't get evidence aurally that this is a turbo or a performance version. Ok, we'll see what the GS brings.

But it makes up for it with the overall quality of construction, and the comfort, and the bangup interior design. I still think some of the plastics on the lowers are a little cheaper than they should be, but that is so nitpicky.

The seats are so golden in this car. And the car is so 'right size'.

The handling seeks center for a straight ahead ride, but once you move the wheel quite a bit, then it attempts to play with you some. The steering is nice, maybe lacks some feel, and needs to be quicker. For the intended demographic I would guess its fine. Sport injected is maybe stretching it. Its way better than the mainstream midsizers, but it just needs more feel and reflexes. I think other mags have sort of said similar things. They are on to something.....it just needs fine tuning. This car did not have the adjustments, so I think its fair to say that someone should try that out (as I intend to do someday).

The ride is great for everyday driving and is so compliant, and quiet, and comfortable. But its not a floater per se'. It's got a little roll to it.....most folks won't care much. Like with the steering, it's a good start and it just needs to be finessed. Wait for the GS.

The car is solid and stable. So much so, you kind of wish it were a bit lighter. But that is what you get for so much quiet, comfort, and solidity.

The clutch was good. If it was heavy, i didn't notice it much. Engagement was a bit tricky at first but like all sticks you figure it out quickly. It didn't seem a leg buster.

The shifter with its big hook shape was hard to grip at first, and then it became alright. The throws are longer than I want, but not by much. First and third were hard to discern at first but then that went away. This is not a toggle switch shifter, and its not like a VW or a Honda. But having driven a nice A4 a few days ago, I will say its a lot lighter to move the shifter on this Regal. There is some mechanics you have to row through on each gear....and you can't just slide it.....you do need to guide and nudge it through. It seemed to me to be within character of a German car. I would grade the shifter at a B, and say it had no glaring faults but could stand some fine tuning.

As for the engine and the power. First, it was always smooth and quiet. The only time i got vibration was when i was in too high a gear and the engine was struggling to pull, at really low speeds. And that is not unique. The turbo does have a little bit of wait time. I won't say it's lag....but the torque does need to build first. It's not completely seamless and linear. In lower gears of course it's lessened, and it may just be throttle setup. You REALLY need to lean on the throttle to make the turbo and power come on hard. But again its within character of a more traditional Buick a little. If you are in say, third, and really hammer the gas, then it goes really nicely. No tire shredding or neck snapping....just a steady buildup of steam. It's deceiving in that case because you do get up to high speed quickly then and the car is so quiet, you are going 80 before you know it.

For most drivers it's plenty of power. And 6th is really tall.....65 mph was right around 2,000 rpm in 6th. 5th is a good in town cruising gear......6th was too tall in a lot of cases. 4th is a decent roll on gear, and 3rd was where you needed to be on on ramps and cloverleafs.

The Regal is a great car, but in this turbo manual CXL trim, still perhaps a bit sedate for those who want to play. The car is so good to begin with though. As an entry lux car, I don't see how you can go wrong......it's so well done and i like it so much. My only knock is it just needs to be less sedate, and gain some power and reflexes (which the adjustable suspension / ride may actually provide). One last thing I should add is the car felt well balanced. For some reason it felt less nose heavy than i remembered before.

I guess this means I would probably like the GS when it comes out? ;)

Just because of the fine tuning stuff and wanting it to be so much more.....being picky, I would say B+ on the turbo manual.

Edited by regfootball

someone showed up at our shop today with a new Regal. I spoke briefly with them, they like the car, we ended up talking about the adjustable suspension, which they had. The person said the adjustable suspension makes a huge difference in the car. I had mentioned i thought the std. suspension was a little soft and the person said the car without the adjustable driver system they couldn't deal with it....apparently it makes a huge difference.

what do they call it? I thought Buick did it best to exorcise all the old redneck GM lingo out of its marketing phrases.......

"Interactive Drive Control System with Sport, Tour and Standard modes" per the Buick site.

The shifter with its big hook shape was hard to grip at first, and then it became alright. The throws are longer than I want, but not by much. First and third were hard to discern at first but then that went away. This is not a toggle switch shifter, and its not like a VW or a Honda. But having driven a nice A4 a few days ago, I will say its a lot lighter to move the shifter on this Regal. There is some mechanics you have to row through on each gear....and you can't just slide it.....you do need to guide and nudge it through. It seemed to me to be within character of a German car. I would grade the shifter at a B, and say it had no glaring faults but could stand some fine tuning.

Was it a 2.0T Audi you drove? How would you compare the two?

the reason i compare.....we had an A4 on the lot, a 2.0t and Audis are generally regarded as having good shifters, and like the Opel its a German car.

The Audi required some effort but otherwise was smooth, well defined. So comparing the Regal which aspires to be a luxury car, to another German luxury car was a fair comparison.

I don't think its out of line to suggest that if Buick is going to compete in the lux and near lux class that its drive controls should be on par with its competition.

Unless you want GM to be its typical lowest common denominator self.

Edited by regfootball

what do they call it? I thought Buick did it best to exorcise all the old redneck GM lingo out of its marketing phrases.......

hahahaha I had to upvote this because it really has been hillbilly marketing :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a good looking car. I mean, the price is high - but GM has been in a difficult position at this point. Price too low and kill the summer - too high and why not the LaCrosse? It is only when you add options, makes the car look bad. They must have followed the Honda / Acura model in which everything is normal except for the technology package that models be less confusion and competitive price.

I think it's a good looking car. I mean, the price is high - but GM has been in a difficult position at this point. Price too low and kill the summer - too high and why not the LaCrosse? It is only when you add options, makes the car look bad. They must have followed the Honda / Acura model in which everything is normal except for the technology package that models be less confusion and competitive price.

Well, from what I've read the Regal has a very different driving style than the LaCrosse... more "German sports car"... the LaCrosse is a bit larger and on the cushier side, so some pricing overlap is not terrible when you tack on options.

I drove the Regals several times at the Main Street in Motion event, plus the Lacrosse. The course had a decent straightaway and plenty of curves. The Regal is as impressive as all the auto mags have said, and the base model is no slouch. They could hold their own against the Acura TSX and TL. The Lacrosse is cushy and in an entirely different segment.

• 4 months later...

I spent a buttload of time in some 012 Regals today.

First off, not anything seemingly has been lost in translation between the factory change. There have been a lot of interior changes, but that is functional. The seats feel the same. Surface qualities are more or less the same.

The only thing missing is some Opel smell. The Astras and german Regals had that pungent German smell I loved. It's missing a bit here.

The new radio interface is fantastic. The USB ports and other ports have been moved to a more convenient spot. I can't say enough about how cool it is. Using the knob on the console is way cool for convenience.

Push button start is added.

I sat in what would be my ideal non GS. The diamond white with tan interior, 19" 9 spokes, moonroof. OMG I almost had to be by myself. All it needed was a manual trans. This is the best GM car out there.

I had sat in a new 9-5 earlier. It's amazing how cheap inside the Saab is in comparison.

A Regal turbo 6sp man or GS man is at the very top of my wish list. Want the car so bad I can barely stand it.

Edited by regfootball